NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The year of the carb...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The year of the carb...
    Posted: March-10-2010 at 5:48pm
I'm going to break down this year and actually get a "real" carb for the Mustang. That would be the Holley 4160, 450 cfm marine carb. Carb

Hopefully this will take care of any starting issues. Plus any safety issues. My current carb must be leaking and flooding the engine because all last year I had to open the throttle wide open to start her after running a while then sitting a wile. Could also smell fumes. My idle mixture screws never seemed to do much either. I could shut one all the way down and the idle kept on going.

So looking for any info up front on installing this thing? Anything I should know? I rebuilt my last one twice so I'm familiar with the basics. Would the new carb fit right on top of the spacer my current one sits on? These things usually come with the gasket needed?

I plan on getting the metal fuel line from Skidim. Fuel Line

Other than the carb I plan on getting new plug wires and a cap. Hopefully she'll be running very smooth this year.

Thanks for any help!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 10:40pm
sounds like the floats were set to high thus flooding the carb..I'm also thinking on a foulty power valve?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 2:40am
Sebastian,Dave has the original carb on that motor which is either a Ford or a Motorcraft. They were the same as what came on the cars of those years, kinda of a real basic carb, 2bbl no power valve etc. Getting a new carb will really make a difference as it did for mine.
Dave are you planning on using a 4 bbl? If so I think you'd be best to change the manifold too,rather than using an adapter.

I guess it would be good to look at your link before posting---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Sebastian,Dave has the original carb on that motor which is either a Ford or a Motorcraft. They were the same as what came on the cars of those years, kinda of a real basic carb, 2bbl no power valve etc. Getting a new carb will really make a difference as it did for mine.
Dave are you planning on using a 4 bbl? If so I think you'd be best to change the manifold too,rather than using an adapter.

I guess it would be good to look at your link before posting---

Yes my current one is an motorcraft. Standard auto.

Gary, I can't even remember what the top of my manifold looks like. You think a 4 barrel wouldn't work? I wouldn't just need a new spacer? I'm calling it a spacer, never was quite sure of it's purpose. Except for venting.

Here's a pic.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 11:30am
Something like this?

Manifold
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 11:33am
A spacer is a poor compromise, best buck up and get a nice 4V manifold.

And your new 4160 should have the PVC port built right in, so an adapter is not required unless its a new edelbrock manifold.

I would also look into your fuel filtration system, best have that right before putting on virgin hardware.

Gasket, best get a nice fel-pro; I forget the number.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 12:43pm
Vondy, in case it wasnt clear, it appears you have a 2 barrel 302. You cant just slap a 4 barrel carb on it. You'll need to get a 4 barrel manifold. Like Gottaski said, the new 4bbl Holley will have a port for the PCV, no need for a spacer. If youre interested in really improving the performance of the engine, a 4 barrel cam would be a nice upgrade. Of course, while youre in there, a better flowing set of heads would be nice as well. It all comes down to how much you want to spend! Either way, an aluminum intake can be found cheaply used (~$100-125)... Id keep on the lookout for an Edelbrock Performer. If your budget is starting to look a bit thin, then shoot me an email- I have a few spare 4bbl 302 intakes Ill never use. Theyre heavy (shipping wont be cheap) but Id be happy to send you one. TRBenj@gmail.com
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 1:31pm
See this is why I posted this, knew there was going to be more to it than simply buying a carb. Is the difference in the 2 barrel manifold and 4 just the openings? I guess I was thinking mine was just an open square that would accept either.

Why do I need an adapter to put the Holley onto a new Edelbrock intake? Is it a difference in the bolts or something? As I posted earlier I was looking at this one. Intake I can swing $160.

TRBenj, thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind.

My goal here is to get everything running as smoothly and safely as possible. I'm not looking for tons of performance increases. That would be a nice "side effect". But I of course want to do things right.

I'm on a budget, but like I said, I can swing and extra $160 for a manifold.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 2:21pm
The Edelbrock Performer usually requires the adapter plate (p/n 2732, available from Summit) because it will prevent vaccuum leaks. I know this is required if running the PCM 1" spacer, as the Performer has narrow surfaces on the side, and the spacer is open on the bottom. The adapter would cover the area outlined in red, preventing a vaccuum leak in the green areas. If bolting a Holley up directly, you may or may not need it- but for $6, Id grab it just in case.

Id look around for a used Performer before plunking down cash on a new one. My sister found a used Performer RPM last week for $80 on craigslist for their Mustang. If you want a cast iron one, just shoot me an email.

For reference, here's an overhead shot of what your 2bbl intake manifold looks like:

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 3:09pm
the reason you have to use the adapter is because edlebrock likes to use a spread bore carb on their intakes, it matches their carbs and the holley typically is a square bore carb so you have to have the adapter to seal it. Use an edlebrock carb no adapter required.

spread bore carb two small holes primary two larger holes secondary's on the base of the carb

square bore four equall size holes on the base of the carb
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 3:36pm
I've got a 4bbl intake.   50.00   if you wanna cover shipping.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 4:03pm
It is originally from (I believe) a 1969 Ford Thunderbird.
It was used briefly on a 260 Interceptor, then two seasons on the OMC 302.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

spread bore carb two small holes primary two larger holes secondary's on the base of the carb

square bore four equall size holes on the base of the carb

I always wondered what was the difference!!
thanks Chris
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 4:05pm
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 4:51pm
Thanks for all your help!

Would a newer aluminum edelbrock perform better than the old cast iron? I like the idea of a fresh new one with no rust buildup.

Am I correct in thinking that they moved the thermostat housing on later models?

When getting an new manifold, do I want to install new bolts? I see Summit offers Stainless and Steel. Obviously I'll need a gasket kit. Summit has the Fel-Pro.

What's the difference in the regular Edelbrock Performer and the RPM Performer?

According to the description on Summit for the manifold, it uses as Square Bore. At least that's for a new one. Manifold
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

A few links for your consideration:

stock 80's Mustang intake (4bbl aluminum)

Edelbrock Performer RPM

Thanks for the Links!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 5:01pm
the RPM version has a higher RPM range that it's designed to work best with, typically a pretty stout motor turning over 5K which isn't going to help you much if your not changing cams and heads too, but it won't hurt if you do use one if you got it at a good price, but spending extra money to get it really is a little waistefull if you ask me.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

the RPM version has a higher RPM range that it's designed to work best with, typically a pretty stout motor turning over 5K which isn't going to help you much if your not changing cams and heads too, but it won't hurt if you do use one if you got it at a good price, but spending extra money to get it really is a little waistefull if you ask me.

I see. So if I find a used one for $60 that happens to be an RPM, it wont hurt anything with my engine. Just don't spend any extra money on one.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 5:21pm
correct
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 5:39pm
Agreed. Many here run the slightly more aggressive RPM (or the similar Weiand Stealth). Like Chris said, thats usually with an upgraded top end (heads and cam) but such upgrades help the holeshot as well as the midrange and top end- so I wouldnt expect the RPM to hurt your performance over a lesser intake if you were to find one cheap. The standard Performer is really more of a stock replacement. Dont expect to pick up any hp with an intake upgrade alone- the stock 2bbl cam and heads are still a major choke point. If you dont plan on any future upgrades, just grab a stock 4bbl manifold for cheap. Clean it up and paint it Ford blue and it will look like new. Intake bolts can usually be reused (inspect them first), but a new set wont do any harm. Head bolts, on the other hand, should always be replaced.

All of the aforementioned intakes are square bore. They dont look anything like the spread bore manifolds Ive seen. The adapter is a spread-square adapter though- it just happens to solve the vaccum leak with that manifold when using the spacer.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 6:47pm

All of the aforementioned intakes are square bore. They dont look anything like the spread bore manifolds Ive seen. The adapter is a spread-square adapter though- it just happens to solve the vaccum leak with that manifold when using the spacer.

So would I need a spacer for any reason?    If the carb and the intake are square bore?

I didn't realize how far down the line the 4bbl upgrades went. The heads on this engine where replaced at one point. Any chance they used 4bbl? Would that work if they still had a 2bbl on it?

So am I going to see any increase in performance with just upgrading to the Holley 4bbl and intake? Should I stick with a new marine 2bbl and save a few bucks. Upgrade to a 4bbl later down the line when I rebuild?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

So would I need a spacer for any reason?    If the carb and the intake are square bore??

Yes. See my post above with the red/green diagram. For $5, just get one if you run an Edelbrock.

I didn't realize how far down the line the 4bbl upgrades went. The heads on this engine where replaced at one point. Any chance they used 4bbl? Would that work if they still had a 2bbl on it?

So am I going to see any increase in performance with just upgrading to the Holley 4bbl and intake? Should I stick with a new marine 2bbl and save a few bucks. Upgrade to a 4bbl later down the line when I rebuild?

The whole top end is tuned together. Cam choice is always dictated by the components its controlling (intake, heads, exhaust) so the whole package works well together. To see a significant performance increase, all parts will need to be upgraded... I dont know much about the heads, but the cam is probably pretty tiny. Here's my take:

Option A: upgrade the whole top end now. Heads, intake, cam, carb. For under $2k you'll have a 275hp monster that will pull your arms off and run in the low 50's (at least).

Option B: Buy a 4bbl carb as planned. Get a cheap/free 4bbl intake. This will make the boat more reliable and safe, even if it doesnt improve performance much. Spring for an Edelbrock intake if youve got some cash to burn. In the future if you want to upgrade the heads and cam, its that many fewer pieces to buy.

Otion C: Buy a 500cfm 2bbl Holley and go skiing. This is the cheapest route. I would not do this if you ever plan to upgrade the top end and convert to a 4bbl somewhere down the road. You'll never recoup the cost of the new 2bbl carb.

Based on what youve said, Id lean towards option B for now. Id get a cheap/free 4bbl intake and a new 4bbl carb. Get an Edelbrock intake if youre feeling saucy. It wont break the bank for now, and it will vastly improve safety and reliability, and will support future growth.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 7:33pm
I really shouldnt contribute here since all you guys responding have more knowledge/expertise than I, so I will offer this as much as a question to you guys as it is a suggestion to Vondy. But Vondy, if you are on a budget, why not consider an Edelbrock Carb. I know the Holley is the standard around here, but there are also a number of proponents of the Edelbrock. I had a Holley for 11 years and have run my Edelbrock for 6. I find it much less fussy, more reliable and easier to work with. And the main reason I mention it, is its close to half the price of the Holley. I only put this out for discussion/consideration...although I have a feeling it will go something like the points vs electronic discussion aka "my way or the high-way"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I find it much less fussy, more reliable and easier to work with.   

Larry anything will be less fussy than that old Ford carb he has now He will really notice a difference in how it starts and how much smoother it is once he gets rid of it. I had the exact same setup on my HM.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 10:28pm

Option A: upgrade the whole top end now. Heads, intake, cam, carb. For under $2k you'll have a 275hp monster that will pull your arms off and run in the low 50's (at least).

Wish mine would   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 3:47am
Oh decisions, decisions.

Unless my engine blows up, God forbid, I don't plan on doing anything to it that I don't have to, other than painting, for several years. Probably like 5-10 years. My next big project will be stringers, hopefully this coming up winter.

So with that in mind, I can spend right at $400 on a 2 barrel and bolt her right on. Or spend a bit over $500 for the 4 barrel, plus lets say $50-$180 on an intake, plus gaskets, spacers etc. Hummm? Guess I'll have to think about that.

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what's the difference between a 2 barrel and 4 barrel head? Do they just allow more air to pass through?

As I mentioned above, the heads on this were replaced, is there any way of knowing what might have been put on?

Thanks again everyone! This, as most things, is a bit more involved than I originally expected.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 10:13am
whats the difference between a boy and a man? nothing better than the sound of the secondaries opening.....go for the 500.00, and i think if you search you can find good used.. Sam57 has a good used one he may part with (carb)
"the things you own will start to own you"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 11:36am

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what's the difference between a 2 barrel and 4 barrel head? Do they just allow more air to pass through?

On the Windsor engines, almost nothing. The difference in VE is minimal. I suspect the bigger difference is compression ratio. Either way, its inperceivable to the buttometer.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Wish mine would   

Gary, have you given your cam specs to Alan to run in his desktop dyno? Im curious how good that Crane cam really is. The last guy that posted his set up with a Comp SBF grind didnt impress me... the specs looked similar to my Cam Research stick, but it was a good 30hp down... thats leaving a lot on the table. Also, any idea what your compression ratio is? Was your H-M originally a 210hp 2bbl or the 235hp 4bbl? Something doesnt add up since youre only running 45mph or so... even my bone stock 4bbl 302 Skier runs 46-47, and I consider that to be an underperformer!

Tom, thanks for clueing us in on the 2bbl heads. Glad to hear theyre not terrible- at least not much worse than the 4bbl heads, haha. Regardless of whats on there, it wont be a powerhouse- all stock 302 heads are pretty wimpy. GT40, GT40p or D0OE heads and a matched cam would really wake it up, I suspect. I am curious about the CR though- what size chambers do the 2V heads have?

Vondy, it sounds like youre very tempted to stay 2bbl and save a few bucks. Thats certainly a consideration. I will warn you though- once you have a good running boat, you may catch the bug to upgrade sooner than you expect! With a bit more power, these small boats are an absolute riot... so avoid riding in one if you want to stay stock.    Even with no plans to do so in the near term, the extra $150-200 to go 4bbl might be a good investment. Since youre still on the fence, Id recommend a 4bbl carb and a cheap/stock 4bbl intake, rather than new Performer or otherwise.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 12:59pm
Did anyone mention the difference in hood clearance from performer to rpm? I dont know if thats an issue in this app. or not?
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic