Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying the Boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying the Boat
    Posted: February-10-2010 at 7:42pm
In buying a Correct Craft - Ski Nautique/Sport or Super Sport - how do I know if the boat is in good working condition aside from what the poster says about the boat? What about someone who has completely refurbished a boat? I am not a novice, but I am not an expert either. I want to be able to make the right decision in buying. How many hours are too many hours on an engine?
Bob B.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2010 at 7:51pm
Drive it! And check for rotted stringers if it is pre-1993
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2010 at 8:13pm
Some of the hour meters do not seem to last may years. Many of the meters either have been replace or have not worked in a long time. Mine is stuck at 489 hours. It is hard to get a real read of the true number of hours. Many of our boats have over 1000 hours. I would looking for a rebuild after 1500 hours. However, some on this site are over 2000 and 3000 hours.

If the boats appears to have been taken good care of, it probably was. It is looks rough, the motor and trans were probably not well taken care of.

Also make sure that it has been winterized if you are in cold climate.

Donald
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2010 at 10:16pm
Bob - We have a member (Eric Lavine) that has a marine service company in the Cleveland area.    He would be a good professional to evaluate any boat you are considering.     If you are looking at boats in other states, sometimes members nearby can scout them out.

Good luck, there are some great deals out there right now.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 9:37am
Bob,
I suggest running a compression check on the engine if you suspect it's got some hours/hard usage on it. Not a bad idea to do one even if it looks ok. Yes, the pre 93 stringer issue must be addressed.

Post some pictures or provide a kink at the boats you're looking at. Even though they are just pictures, there may be something one of us would see that would need further investigating.

Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 10:01am
im 20 miunutes out of Cleveland, where is das boot?   I live in Aurora with the rich folk but im on the otherside of the tracks, my shop is in Brunstucky, I'll go take a look. Eric
is it at Tri-lakes? I'll even make the call
"the things you own will start to own you"
bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 11:30am
Thanks to everyone. Eric - I live in Solon. I have not settled on a particular boat yet. There are several posted in Michigan on this site that are appealing to me, including a rebuild of a 1980 ($9500) that a Todd Buchanan posted. You can see it there. It looks good and he sent me a bunch of photos too, which I could pass along.
Bob B.
bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 7:41pm
Eric and anyone for that matter,

Are there particular years to avoid in looking for a used Ski Nautique? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Bob
Bob B.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic