NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Super Sucker needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
Author
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 12:18am
WOW! Pete, I am so impressed! I loved reading through this! Can't wait to see the next chapter after Memorial Day!
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 8:24am
Great work Pete,when its running please post a UTube clip,just watch your self when starting if its like the Vintage engines here if it kicks back on you, your arm or hand will know about it.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 9:37am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Great work Pete,when its running please post a UTube clip,.........

Oh boy, now Pete has a new challenge on his hands.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 10:41am
Pete, when I was a kid, 14 or so, i took a huskavarna snowmobile engine and mounted it on a tractor, it was direct drive, but the spark plug was located right in front of the seat by the family jewels, and you got it.....i did get zapped, i will never forget that...(the direct drive did not work very well) but it worked

but anyways I was referring to your plastic line not the switch
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 10:56am
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Great work Pete,when its running please post a UTube clip,.........

Oh boy, now Pete has a new challenge on his hands.

Actually two challenges!! The other is to figure out how to use the digital camcorder Didi gave me for my birthday.

Roger,
I've been warned to be careful with cranking this thing and am aware of the issue but thanks for the concern. Billy too keeps telling me to watch out!!! I'll be sure to retard it when cranking. The impulse coupling automatically retards 15* and then the manual retard is another 15* plus I did set the mag base timing just after TDC so I should be ok. I also carefully checked the ejection ramps on the hand crank.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hunterdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 1:22pm
so did you get this thing to start??
Dan
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

actually period correct, was there a requirement?

Thanks Eric. I thought the knife switch was a good choice too. Requirement? Well, yes! How else would you stop the engine? I thought about a flat piece of spring steel under the base bent up so when depressed it would touch the point shunt terminal but that was too "Briggs & Stratton" for me!

Pete, You could always submerge the motor to stop it like the PO did.

This is a neat project.   I read the whole thread just today.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 10:29pm
Very Nice !   Great read... Nice to see the detail put into bring back this classic. Back about 83 we took 5 truck loads of 50's and 60's marine engines to the dump mostly outboards but lots of history lost.

My Grand father was I believe the first boat dealer in our area (post war). He is 87 and getting profficient with the computer. I'm going to try to get him to check this out.
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
hunterdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 8:01pm
Hey Pete, when are you going to try to start this thing?? We are waiting!
Dan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 9:30pm
Dan,
I just received a very rare, very small NOS Zenith flame arrestor I found on ebay. Due to the carb not being a newer design (came out after WWII) with the throat that tilts upward, I felt it was a good idea to put the arrestor on. (even with the upturned throat) The throat that tilts upward, keeps any extra fuel that may be present say from a stuck needle and seat hopefully in the carb and not dribbling down into the bilge. I'm in the process of machining up a adapter to fit the arrestor to the carb. When done, I'll feel safer of giving that thing some cranks!! (fire extinguisher within view!! )

I'm anxious too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hunterdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 1:16pm
Hey Pete

Any news on this project??
Dan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 1:55pm
Dan,
It's still sitting on the garage floor hooked up to the engine hoist. One of these days I need to push it out into the driveway and give it a few cranks!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2013 at 12:07am
Just read this whole thread. Sweet rebuild. Looks new at the end! Did you ever record the motor running? If not, could you record it and upload? Would love to see this running and hear it. Amazing that people still do this. I wish I could do that!

Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
  Share Topic