NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2324252627 31>
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 3:50pm
I love the blue. Gonna be a head turner for sure. Might get wiplash!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 4:14pm
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 12:18pm
Dad continues to chip away at rebuilding the platform- it was pretty rough as well as loose, plus it had some sort of coating (varnish?) that did not come out when we used the teak cleaner on it... so it was completely disassembled, each individual piece sanded, and now it is being put back together. By the time the sanding was complete, almost 3/8" was taken off the length (front to back). We're also using larger (but shorter) screws- I believe #10 1-1/4", in hopes we wont have any tips protuding through the top side, which had been a problem. Once complete, Ill snap some pics.

The tranny is off, and the new damper goes on today or tomorrow... it looks like the one on there now was original, as it still has some OMC green overspray on it.

In the meantime, we've made some progress with the carpet.

Sides trimmed:

Floor test fit:

Floor glued and rolled:

Floor trimmed:

I also organized the garage somewhat and found our carpet trim.    I need to clean it up with acetone and cut it down to length- then it can be put on the carpet and the last bit of the floor can be glued down. The final pieces that go over the pockets will get done last. I'm using the same method for the carpet as I used on my '90, which I described in this thread. The only difference this time is that we're using a dedicated carpet knife instead of a utility knife. Changing the blades often is key! Watch out though, those suckers are sharp.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 2:14pm
Looking good Tim!!! when is the maiden voyage scheduled for?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 2:41pm
Thanks Seb. The only thing we've had luck "scheduling" up to this point is time to work on the boat... and even that has been hard to do at times! Every time I think our water test will happen by a certain date, it hasnt happened- so I refuse to even speculate!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 3:09pm
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 4:48pm
It is looking very good gentlemen. About 2 weeks to the offical start of watersports season.. 7 weeks till the end of project season... bang that sucker out and lets go skiing.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The unveiling of this boat is the Apocalypse.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 5:02pm
Craig, I sure hope not! Maybe though.

Joe, good call- the final push is going on right now... once the warm weather hits, Im not a big fan of spending all my free time in the garage!
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 10:48pm
Looking good Tim

I have been following but haven't commented. I just cant wait to see it in the water and see the flat table for you barefooters. And this thing will rip in the MPH department too.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by lfskizzer lfskizzer wrote:

I just cant wait to see it in the water

Thanks Phil- me neither!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 7:03pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 7:16pm
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 7:17pm
Ha, thanks Larry- its probably more like this, but we'll get there.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 10:25pm
Over the last few weeks, Dad took a vacation to FL and Ive been traveling a bit for work... but we're still chipping away!

We dropped the engine back in the boat.

Then we centered the mounts and positioned it on the cradle tabs until we were satisfied with where it sat. Then we aligned it. Then we drilled the holes in our tabs and bolted the engine down. Double checked alignment one more time. We then inspected our shaft/strut/prop/rudder position... we decided to shorten our shaft 1.5" to bring the prop within 3/8" of the strut body.

Once we got the shaft back, we reinstalled it in the boat, along with an OJ dripless shaft seal.

Despite moving our pylon forward ~2", and moving the engine back approximately 1/2", we're still tight on clearance between the floor and RWP... but we made it!

Today we finished mounting the transom pieces- pitots, trim, fuel tank vent, bilge pump fittings:

We also mounted the rear panel support brackets. Fuel tank brackets are back on as well.

And just for Joel... the dorky steering wheel that came with the boat when we bought it is finally off. We'll be replacing it with a proper 3-spoke one.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 11:10pm
Get'n closer to the water!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dieseldawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dieseldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 1:42am
TRBenj,

I have been keeping up with this thread but I have to admit I have not read every word of every post. So I have to ask, what will be the benefit of shortening the prop shaft?

By the way, very nice job on the restoration! being a helicopter mechanic, I have really enjoyed the technical aspect of the entire restoration.

Matt
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 2:22am
I'll sleep better tonight based on that wheel being gone. Thanks for the update. Somebody with a 1988 Supra will be elated to get that wheel back.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Dieseldawg Dieseldawg wrote:

I have to ask, what will be the benefit of shortening the prop shaft?

The less shaft length you have hanging out past the end of the strut, the less stress will be put on the shaft. Also, bringing the prop forward will improve performance- it will raise the bow a bit at speed. It will also increase prop to rudder clearance... all good things. Basically, you only want the prop far enough away from the strut to be able to get a puller on. 1/4" would have done it, but we left a touch more in case other props fit on the taper slightly different.

The only downside is that bringing the prop forward decreases prop to hull clearance. We have just under an inch (~3/4") now, which while better than the factory had it (~3/8"), is still a bit less than the 10% of the prop diameter rule. We'll keep an eye on the keel and see it starts showing signs of damage again. If it does, we can either put a metal plate on there, or remove the 5/8" of material aft of the strut like the '81+ BFN hulls had.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The less shaft length you have hanging out past the end of the strut, the less stress will be put on the shaft.

And the cutlass bearing.

Matt,
As a mechanic, you should know this. In mechanical engineering terms, it's called "overhung load"!    A basic principle of physics and the use of a lever.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 12:16am
Pete,
If everything is aligned correctly shouldn't the thrust be directly in-line with the shaft???
If so it shouldn't put any leverage on the strut or the strut bearing, if it applied leverage wouldn't that wear the strut rather quickly??
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 12:46am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Pete,
If everything is aligned correctly shouldn't the thrust be directly in-line with the shaft???
If so it shouldn't put any leverage on the strut or the strut bearing, if it applied leverage wouldn't that wear the strut rather quickly??

Just think what would happen without a strut. Even though there is a linear load (like a person running on the lake bottom pushing the boat forward via the prop shaft) the job of wrangling the insane rotational forces of a propeller that only works because it's fixed in place can't be denied.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Dieseldawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dieseldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 2:59am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The less shaft length you have hanging out past the end of the strut, the less stress will be put on the shaft.

And the cutlass bearing.

Matt,
As a mechanic, you should know this. In mechanical engineering terms, it's called "overhung load"!    A basic principle of physics and the use of a lever.

Pete,
I do understand the principles of overhung load as I deal with it every time I track and balance a rotor system on a helicopter. However; my understanding of overhung load is far less than yours due to the fact that I am just a mechanic and not a well versed engineer. <-----That was not meant to be a shot across the bow. I am just stating my intellectual limitations.

I do see the reason for the shorter prop shaft in this application, given the high HP and Torque loads. I guess in this case I just was wondering what would be the end result in performance (speed and drive-ability) after shortening the prop shaft. The wealth of knowledge, information and expertise on this site is just flat out AWESOME!

TRBenj,
Would a tunnel in the hull work if the propeller clearance becomes an issue? Similar to the tunnel on any of the 196 or 200 ski nautiques (minus the hook). And if you were to make a tunnel in the bottom of the hull could you lower the engine and reduce the angle of the prop shaft? Although that sounds like a whole bunch of work!

Matt
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 3:41am
Matt, Mastercraft did exactly what you are talking about with the hull on their powerslots in the 70's and 80's and you're right, it would be a bunch of work and you would risk making your Nautique look like a MC....LOL.

As for the overhung load, it exists because the prop has centrifugal force. The longer the shaft extends from the strut the greater the forces are just like putting a cheater bar on a wrench. Inherently the shaft has flex or there would be no need for a strut at all. By keeping the shaft as close as possible to the strut, the lever on the overhung load is shortened thus decreasing frictional loads on the bearing. This means smoother, more efficient operation.

How much difference does it make? On the surface not alot but it is the attention to these kinds of details that makes a boat perform very smoothly versus one that just feels a little ragged when you drive it. The little things add up.

And yeah, it won't take you long to figure out both Pete and Tim are pretty damn sharp guys.

Jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 12:52pm
Matt, a tunnel wouldn’t work that great on this v-hull. The keel is too narrow- its only 3-4” wide. The TSC2 and TSC3 196/206 with that design feature have much wider (6”+) keels. If prop clearance becomes an issue, we can notch the keel aft of the strut, as discussed here:

Keel Modification

We added fiberglass to the inside of the hull in this location, just in case we wanted to make this modification later on. Only the first 2 years of the BFN (79-80) didn’t get the notched keel- all 81-90 BFN’s had it. This allowed them to run 14x14 props, whereas our boat originally had a 13x15.

As far as altering shaft angle, a simple hull clearancing near the prop wouldn’t help this. That would require a strut and shaft log change, at a minimum. The BBC and 72C tranny are already within ½” of the hull, so theres no room to be gained there either.

Jeff, Mastercraft did the same as CC on their hulls to accommodate the 14x18 prop they ran with their 1.5:1 Powerslot transmission. It only looked special on those boats because the hull was otherwise flat. To my knowledge, it was only a prop clearance modification- not a wake shaping one like the TSC2+ 196. The 86+ PS190 hull did not have this notch, despite having the same ‘slot tranny offered… they got a little smarter and designed the hull and shaft/strut/prop geometry to accommodate the larger prop without a tunnel.

Oh, and FYI, theres no such thing as “centrifugal force”.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 6:08pm
You are correct Tim. That is exactly why MC put the dent in the hull on their powerslot. It was also to keep water channeled around the rudder and prevent transom slip for improved tracking as I understand it. That freaking dent was huge on that flat hull. Nothing like what you guys prepped for if necessary. Nice planning Tim.

LOL....I suppose to get technical there isn't a centrifugal force but there isn't a zero either.
87MCProstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87MCProstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 11:15am
Tim,
Haven't read thread in awhile, that thing is looking sweet! Nice work by you and your dad!
87MCProstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87MCProstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 11:01am
Tim,
Just checking in to see if any progress was made, or are you waiting for the festivites of next weekend to make the grand entrance with the BFN?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 12:32pm
sandbagging sonofabitch
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 2:01pm
We've been making progress, and Ive even snapped a few pictures... but theyre all on dad's camera. We're shooting to be on the water in 2 weeks- but it'll be tight!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2324252627 31>
  Share Topic