NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl Foor 101

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 4:09pm
Bruce,
I've got the original blue Nautolex on the floor of the X55. The stuff is quite heavy and I say it would be difficult to bend around corners like the kick on your Cuda. I'd say what you're looking at on the kick is the heavy weight vinyl wall covering.

Dave,
I've seen the weight of the vinyl wall covering that CC used when working at Watercraft Sales in the late 60's and early 70's. I also remember it in the 70 Cuda I had as well as Charlie's (brady) 70 Cuda. I'd say the 21oz. material is heavier than the original.

Also, I know Charlie sent away for sample vinyl wall coverings. I'll ask him if he remembers the weights and can compare them to the original in his boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 10:18pm

Tim,

I was told the flooring vinyl is original in my boat.

The wood was replaced, but he used the same vinyl.

He was able to remove it from the original wood.

That's what he told me.

Dave

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 2:07am
Which would be period correct for the ole 66? I remember the white flooring and the aluminum strips and upon talking to my dad he says about a year after we had it, this is when he went on a vacation for 4 days with the boat,and came back with some kind of astro turf in it, that he had taken it to a guy that owned a wooden Chris Craft,that he had just redone.He tells me that they took the flooring up,and refoamed it,refloored it,and that's that.I remember that mahogoney CC was rad! He was a fireman(my dad) and worked the 3 days on,4 days off, and every 3rd month got 2 weeks off!I'd just been talking to him about this vinyl floor post and he tells me about that. I told him that I thought it had the vinyl floor at one time. He said that even though I was 8 or 9 ,he thought I would have remembered all that.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2010 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

Dave,

Here are a couple of shots of my floor.

Hope this will help.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the pics and what a beauty you have! Please help me out with these questions.

I pulled up the carpet in my 73 skier and the floor underneath looks like the first picture here, but is in terrible condition as it has been under rotting carpet for who knows how long. Is that surface just the glass deck or is that actually something glued down. The second picture looks like a completely different surface altogether. Is the second picture the vinyl? I do not like the idea of putting carpet back in now that I know it was not stock, but I have to do something.

Thanks
Keegan
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2010 at 2:51am
It is a heavy weight vinyl, Mr. Pete Brainerd says.Hang on to what ever pieces you have! Take the boat inside, let it get good and warm, then maybe use a heat gun,blow dryer, and your wife's plastic spatula and see if you can get some good useable samples to take to a wall covering store.If you need help,give me a call
Marty Mabe
1-336-847-8676
66 Skylark
93 SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2010 at 10:00am
Keegan,
Just as Marty stated, it is a heavy weight vinyl wall covering. Take his advice and get a piece of the original into a wall covering store. Don't trust what you find looking at pictures as colors and patterns vari. You can even see the big difference in the two pictures Dave posted of the same floor. Lots of different patterns and colors were used through the years. Keep us informed of what you find.

The original should only be stapled at the edges under trim and the cockpit side base.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2010 at 1:28pm
Yes, you could be the hero of many if you could find something that looks original and is readily available... Good Luck with the task. Keep us informed !!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

71Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 11:06pm
Hi Everyone. Please let me know what you think of this. Here are some photos of a 21 ounce basketweave vinyl wallcovering material I located along with a piece of original vinyl I found in the bilge of our '67 Barracuda. The color and pattern of the original piece are exactly like what I remember of the original vinyl in our '71 SN. The new material has a very similar pattern, but it's a smaller and finer pattern. This is the only thing I can find that's even close to the original. I haven't ordered it yet. It comes in a double roll 27" wide by 28' long which will be barely long enough for the Barracuda's flooring. The cost with tax and shipping will be $95. I'm planning to glue it down to the 3/8" plywood flooring, wrap it around the backside and staple the edges there and seal the edges with paint. I think the gluing will make it much stronger and more durable. I will appreciate any comments and advice.   Thanks - Larry
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 11:30pm
Larry that looks pretty good to me. I do not have a sample of mine nearly that big to go from but I would say it was similar to that.

Based on what I have read on this site you might use 3M 5200 to seal those edges instead of paint. We would all love to see pictures of a new vinyl floor!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 11:33pm
Good find! I think I have a few pieces of the basket weave from my Skier in my pile of saved stuff. I'll try and locate it, but it'll be a few days...everything is covered in ice here in Iowa!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 1:34am
Web address? Or what's the name of the joint where you're getting this?
66 Skylark
93 SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 8:44am
Larry,
I admire your searching and finding what looks like the original flooring. Good work!

I'm not following you with the edge sealing. Are you trying to seal the edge of the 3/8 ply flooring? If so, we need to talk to some more about epoxy, glass cloth and CPES. BTW, you may want to consider going to 1/2" ply. 3/8 isn't much.

EDIT: Double check (call) that the vinyl is only available 27" wide. I just got off the phone with Charlie (brady) and all the samples he got were available in 54" widths. Are you dealing with just a distributor or did you go to the manufacturer? I'd hate to see you have to seam up the middle of the boat.

Have we discussed the stringer condition of the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
71Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:47am
This 21 ounce material is definitely thinner than the original stuff. The original has some type of woven fabric backing which made it thicker. The new material is completely vinyl and should be waterproof. I pulled hard on the corners of my samples and it stretches a bit, but does not tear. That's why I think that gluing it down will make it even stronger and more durable. I'm going to glue it on the top surface of the flooring and wrap it around the edges to the backside of the plywood and use SS staples there.   

I replaced the wood and vinyl in our '71 SN in 1978. The material was also heavier with a fabric backing like the original, but doesn't have the same texture / pattern. I glued that down then and it's still there. I am concerned that gluing that vinyl may have worked better because of its fabric backing. This new 21 ounce vinyl does have some woven-type texture on its backside, though. Also, the 27" width is not a problem. I just wish the double roll this stuff comes in had a few more running feet!

We are removing some waterlogged foam now. There was water there, mostly in the exhaust hose wells, but so far it hasn't been as bad as I expected. There are some extra screw holes in the tops of the stringers behind the engine and I probed them and the wood is solid there. So far, this boat doesn't seem to have anything close to the saturation I found in the '71 SN back in 1991.

I appreciate everyone's comments, questions and suggestions as I consider this material for our '67.

Thanks! - Larry

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

Here are a couple of shots of my floor.

Hope this will help.

Dave

I found 2 strips of what I believe to be some of the original vinyl flooring based on this picture by The Godfather. They were used to hold the air hoses in place before the foam was poured into the cavity. Any tips on getting the foam off of the surface so when I take it somewhere for a replacement they can see what it looks like?

My wife thinks I am crazy getting all excited over this... What do Ya'll think

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2010 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

My wife thinks I am crazy getting all excited over this... What do Ya'll think

Keegan, my wife THOUGHT I was crazy back in 1997 when I bought our 3rd Correct Craft. Now she knows I am. But she's also been to 10+ CC owner reunions, met lots of great people and had tons of fun. So what does that make her? Tell your wife it all makes for a better relationship as you'll obviously have no time for bars and other women. Just hope though, that she doesn't take the road of a college girlfriend of mine who actually told me almost 28 yrs ago, that she thought I loved my '58 Starflight more than I loved her. I do miss the boat the most.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2010 at 12:38am
Great story Reid- you did not sell the Starflight for that college bizzle did you? You had one!? My wife knows I am crazy and am going to do whatever I dream up anyway so there's not much point trying to stop me. If I want this boat to look like it did in 73 then I am going to be obsessed till it is. I am not letting go of the swim platform though. That is one of my favorite places to be. On the teak!

As for cleaning my idea right now is to get it nice and warm and use a polyester brush to try and remove the foam that is stuck to the finish.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2010 at 11:30am

As for cleaning my idea right now is to get it nice and warm and use a polyester brush to try and remove the foam that is stuck to the finish.

This is probably your only safe approach. Anything that would attack the foam will go after the vinyl too.

Don't spend too much time at it though. The scraps used may not even be the same material they used on the floor. Just take a look at the pictures in the thread again and then go out and see what's close. I think you'll be able to find a vinyl wall covering damn close and appropriate.

Yes Reid, What happened to the Starflight? Do you know where it is now? "Y" block?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The scraps used may not even be the same material they used on the floor. Just take a look at the pictures in the thread again and then go out and see what's close. I think you'll be able to find a vinyl wall covering damn close and appropriate.

I used the poly brush and this sample cleaned up easily. Since it was entombed in the foam it is very well preserved. It is supple and flexible almost as if it were new. I think I have great evidence that this is the original material covering the floor. I can't imagine that on any wall anywhere that would look good! The late 60's and early 70's were sort of an interior design disaster. I can see why this would be the perfect floor for the boat though. It has a lot of texture and is very heavy duty.

This angle shows how deep the texture is

I am very happy with this sample. Great color!

I started reading this thread before I cut out the floor so I was looking for scraps of vinyl still stuck to the floor underneath the carpet. Thank you CCF again! I think that is a ringer!

1973 Skier
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 1:38am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Yes Reid, What happened to the Starflight? Do you know where it is now? "Y" block?

No idea of its whereabouts. I had it from 1981 until only about '88. I was living in So Fla heavy into the salt water boating thing, never thinking I'd ever live back on fresh water. My dad was storing it for me and had a guy bug him for several years to buy it and I finally said OK. I'd done a very poor resto job on it as a college jr/sr. Originally had the Y-block 292 and Dearbo reduction with angle-drive similar to modern PCM 1.23. Had trans rebuilt, but still only ran while oil was cool. Heated up and slipped. Got tired of that quickly, found and installed a Merc 302-215 inboard to get the boat running consistently and that's what it sold with. THEN, I lost the 292 package in a storage deal. The things we do as kids. If only there'd been CCF back then.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 5:02pm

This angle shows how deep the texture is

Boy, Id love to see that original sample compared to Nautolex "shark". The Nautolex may have a bit more black in it, but its pretty similar and the texture looks darn close. It might be worth requesting a sample for yourself to see how it compares side by side.

http://www.garysupholstery.com/ntomarfloor.html
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 5:25pm
Here's my sample from Gary's . It's the sandstone color sample. Doesn't look very thick.

66 Skylark
93 SN
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 6:32pm
Thanks guys I will do that. I would not have known to look for those pieces if I had not found this amazing website! Cool stuff

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 7:20pm
Marty,
I'm curious as to why you went to a upholsterer for vinyl wall covering? Does he handle the stuff?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 7:58pm
Isn't this the place everyone's talking about where to get it?
Gary's Upholstery Products in Tampa,Florida.
Also it's a sample of the Nautolex Marine Flooring.
Hey by the way, I went to my wall covering place here in High Point,NC, Huffman's Paint and Wallcovering, they've been in business since 1948,
Now get this- the guy said-
Vinyl wall covering on the floor of your boat!?
The 3 people looked at each other and gave the snickering and eye movements.They said, that in no certain terms that any wall covering would hold up on the floor of a boat.I told them I would bring them a piece someday and let them tell me what it was then.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 8:23pm
I'd say Nautolex is the ticket.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Boy, Id love to see that original sample compared to Nautolex "shark". The Nautolex may have a bit more black in it, but its pretty similar and the texture looks darn close. It might be worth requesting a sample for yourself to see how it compares side by side.

http://www.garysupholstery.com/ntomarfloor.html

Marty is near by and has some samples already so I hope to compare for myself soon. These look so close to what I have in the pictures. AWESOME!

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Isn't this the place everyone's talking about where to get it?
Gary's Upholstery Products in Tampa,Florida.
Also it's a sample of the Nautolex Marine Flooring.
Hey by the way, I went to my wall covering place here in High Point,NC, Huffman's Paint and Wallcovering, they've been in business since 1948,
Now get this- the guy said-
Vinyl wall covering on the floor of your boat!?
The 3 people looked at each other and gave the snickering and eye movements.They said, that in no certain terms that any wall covering would hold up on the floor of a boat.I told them I would bring them a piece someday and let them tell me what it was then.

Well, all I can say there has been plenty of "snickering and eye movements" once it was known CC used the stuff. Did they have vinyl wall covering or did you just walk out the door?? Maybe they don't carry it? They must wear street shoes and go dancing in there boats?

I'd also question that sample of Nautolex you got. It looks too thin.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2010 at 10:54am
Is Gary's selling vinyl wallpaper as Nautolex? Someone ought to notify Nautolex!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2010 at 1:15pm
I think you guys are confused. Gary's has sent some people samples already and nobody is saying its fake. The incident Marty is talking about happened at a local paint store. I've been there, these guys don't have a clue, but have been around town long enough you would think they could point you in the right direction.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2010 at 1:41pm

I think you guys are confused. Gary's has sent some people samples already and nobody is saying its fake. The incident Marty is talking about happened at a local paint store. I've been there, these guys don't have a clue, but have been around town long enough you would think they could point you in the right direction.

Keegan,
It's quite possible there's confusion. Wouldn't be the first nor the last time with me!! However, the people who are really confused are at the paint store like you mentioned! Going back to the on line sources posted earlier in the thread would be appropriate.

Regarding the "Nautolex", It to me just looks too thin. Maybe someone else bought is making it now and they are making it thinner???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic