Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop questions
    Posted: March-11-2004 at 12:54am
I have tried 6 different props on my boat. 2 different diameters, and 4 diff. pitches. The one consistant thing that I found is: My boat would not go faster than 52 m.p.h.. A 12"x12p. prop gives a killer wake @ 24 m.p.h. on my boat, given mine weighs 2640# and has a 40 gal. tank behind the seat. you want to wakeboard,you don't want to pull 12 skiers. you want the boat to NOT! come up on plane, but to plow the water @ low speed. I think a 4 blade is another mousetrap just to get way too much money out of your pocket.
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2004 at 8:38pm
I like to wakeboard, so I've heard a 4-blade would be better for these lower speeds.

What diameter and pitch 4-blade would be equivilent to my original 13X13? (of course I don't want to lose top speed either.    
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2004 at 12:40pm
I have not meet someone that is perfect we all make mistakes.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2004 at 11:25am
bc, OOPS! My large mistake! Thanks for picking that up and my apologies for stating it wrong. You are correct in your thinking as it should have read, "DECREASE engine speed...". I can't even quote from a book correctly. Sorry for any wasted mental time and confusion that caused.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2004 at 10:24am
reidp I was refering to your post

two-inch increase in pitch will increase engine speed 450 rpm"??,

This seemed odd to my I would think, at least for a 1:1, that it would decrease, now for 1.23:1 it could be possible. The postings on another site where this has been talked about always state a decrease in rpm as pitch and dia increase. But then again if your engine produces enough torque than maybe the rpm's would increase. It all seems like trial and error because of all the different factors that effect it and no two are ever the same.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2004 at 7:50am
ReidP
Remember that the 123 transmissions and v drives run under and overdrives so you can toss the handbook. Now with that being said the HP being told to you in Ski boat are not actuall. The association lets them advertise between 20 to 30 % more. The book is fine on general nomenglature of propellors, and on 1.1 situations. The underdrives give you more built in torque and overdrives take away the torque and need lots of power, thats why the differential in RPM and speed. You have to add or subtract to get the prop speed.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2004 at 9:03pm
bc, what posting or issue was it that seemed odd? Wasn't sure which one you were referencing. You're correct about more pitch grabbing more water per rpm as it covers more distance, and slowing the max rpm compared to a lower pitched prop, but from what I've seen that doesn't translate usually into more speed unless the engine was underpropped to begin.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2004 at 10:39am
That seems odd. With an increase in pitch you would be grapping more water and trying to push it back. It seems that, that would but a heavier load on the engine and slow down the rpm. It makes sence that the speed of the boat would increase but not rpm. In my particular case I'll be able to spin up to 5500 rpm and most likely use a 15" pitch prop to bring it down to around 5200 rpm.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2004 at 8:21am
Rember when figureing a 123 trans you subtract 23% aas it is a underdrive. Ex 4800RPM is really 3969 RPM at the prop not like a 1.1 4800 RPM.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2004 at 1:26am
The propeller book I spoke of earlier is:
"THE PROPELLER HANDBOOK - The Complete Reference for Choosing, Installing, and Understanding Boat Propellers", by Dave Gerr, published by International Marine and McGraw-Hill. It can be ordered from 800-262-4729.

In regards to the 300 rpm per inch of pitch question, pg 45 covers a handfull of the "countless rules of thumb floating around about propellers", and actually talks about a "two-inch increase in pitch will increase engine speed 450 rpm"??, and doesn't say it's true or fact. That's only 225 rpm per inch so go figure, especially compared to Jeff's actual 400 rpm drop with +1". And I agree with Jeff's position that with a 240-260 HP 351, 4800 was a bit high for that engine's power curve, which could explain why it lost no speed. A Pro-Boss or GT-40 351 typically turns upwards of 4700-5000 at WOT from what I've seen, and speeds probably benefit from the increased rpm in those engines with the enhanced performance components.

The term I missed earlier when pondering the OJ props vs Federal props was RAKE, "when the blades lean either forward or aft, when viewed from the side." With the case of the OJ's I've got, they slope aft which is positive rake, and "the raked blades have more length and thus more area than vertical blades of the same diameter." So this make sense I guess as to why a raked 12x13 OJ turned the same rpm as my 12x14 Federal, mostly vertical blade prop. So much to learn.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2004 at 6:10pm
My '89 Nautique came with a 14"x16" Federal prop, and the engine turned 4800 RPM at full throttle. Not wanting to have to stare at the tach running wide open, I pitched the prop up to 14"x17". Now it turns a more comfortable 4400 RPM, which is the max intermittent recommended RPM, and I haven't seen any speed lose. Sure I may lose some grunt on the bottom end, but these boats pull like tractors as it is. So I got 400 PRM for 1" pitch change.

Jeff
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2004 at 3:55pm
BC,
I didn't get that specifically from the book yet, but will check. Everything I'd ever heard though, did lean towards the 300 rpm, and from personal experience I've seen that hold somewhat true when comparing same brand props.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2004 at 3:05pm
reidp what does your book say about how much rpm you should loose or gain going 1 pitch size up or down? This was talked about this on ski boat help and someone replyed saying you would loose or again around 300rpm and if it was cupped you would also loose so much and the dia had a simular effect. Don't recall exactly the rpm's without looking back at the post. just curiuous what your book says on the topic.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2004 at 2:47pm
My humble opinion says pick up a good 13x13 Michingan/Federal like Woody says was originally spec'd. Then you can be CCF test-bed for a 13x13 vs 12x15 "on a Nautique" comparison. I only say the Federal since it was originally spec'd and there are still tons of them on older boats like yours/ours. Plus I very recently picked up an excellent book on Propellers, (just listen to the sound as I open up this thought provoking can of worms), and every 13x13 design is not the same in terms of blade shape and angle. There is detail on this in the book, plus I've learned first hand after purchasing a new 12x14 OJ to complement a 12x14 Fed and not understanding why I lost 300 rpm. The OJ props for me have performed just great, once I figured out the comparitive size issue, but unfortunately no faster or slower, on my boat(s) anyway. Anyone else have prop results to post? I'll send another posting this evening once I've got the book in hand with info on it if anyone's interested.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2004 at 2:13pm
if you have a dealer close to you they might allow you to try various props before you purchase one. this is the ultimate solution.

no telling what has been done to your boat by the previous owners, how much weight you run with or your preferences in how you like your boat to operate.

i like a prop for everyday of the week, so it's really up to you. 15 pitch seems kinda large, but when a prop get reworked, it's hard to tell whats left diameter and cup wise. it's easier on the motor to be up in the torque band comming out of the hole.

i would get a new original prop (maybe a 4-blade if you board)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2004 at 1:07pm
Thanks for all the help!

My current prop (was on there when I bought the boat last year) is a 12X15 cupped. It seems to perform great, but then I've never tried any other size. It's smooth and strong out of the hole, and has a top speed of 52mph (WITH OR WITHOUT people and gear).

I like the idea of buying a new (or reconditioned) prop to use while I send mine to the shop for reconditioning. Now I just need to decide which one to buy.

I guess maybe I should buy the original size (13X13 - thanks woodyelc).

- I don't want my broth-in-law's new I/O V6 to EVER STAND A CHANCE of outrunning me!
Nauti Girl
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2004 at 11:32pm
ReidP   YES
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2004 at 1:29am
Yeah, probably. But I'm confident you meant that they historically have rated it way, way too low. Correct Craft wasn't crazy all these years. But WHAT does this have to do with props and Woody, other than the fact that Woody KNOWS Ford horsepower, and nothing spins a prop faster than the blue oval.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2004 at 12:58am
ford still lies about their horsepower.

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2004 at 12:28am
Bill,
Is that SECC's Woody? Like there's another?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2004 at 7:33pm
YOU HEARD IT HERE, FROM THE FROM THE MAN WHO KNOWS, HOPE IT SUNK IN.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2004 at 7:11pm
BOAT CAME WITH A 13X13X1RH FEDERAL PROP FROM CORRECT CRAFT. HARD TO TELL WHAT IS ON YOUR BOAT NOW.
woodyelc
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2004 at 8:03pm
All HP ratng are not a true number as they are allowed to strech the truth. However remember that up to 5250 RPM torque is the large number, this changes when you pass 5250 RPM then the HP is greater. This applies to all engines So unless you are turning more RPM then this the HP will be the factor. Eric Johnson can tell you what should be the best as they build or have built all the propellers on most of the factory built Tournment boats for years. CC was the first tournment boat to use 4 blade OJ props for years. This I know cause I tested that prop.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2004 at 7:39pm
Take the haul number and ask correct craft. a 79 351W was 240hp
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2004 at 7:09pm
OK, but does anyone have any insite into how much horespower my engine has? I can't find any indication anywhere on the boat. The valve cover just has the "Commander Model 351" decal on it, and it is a 4V.
Nauti Girl
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2004 at 4:19pm
Give the folks at Michigan Wheel Corp a call. http://www.miwheel.com/. Federal Propellers is one of their companies. Federal was the prop which came originally on my 89 2001. They have a web site where you can plug in numbers on your boat, engine, xmsn, current prop, and current performance. Give them about 10 days this time of year and they can match a prop to your boat.   
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2004 at 11:47pm
Thanks, but also, I'd love to have some advice on the best size, pitch, etc.
Nauti Girl
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2004 at 4:49pm
used props

he has an exstensive list of left hand stuff.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2004 at 2:58pm
That's true, Johnson repairs too, he makes most of the props these other stores sell. He also makes splined props and double end shafts.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2004 at 9:54am
nauti girl.the delta propeller co 877-238-8214 .talk to them about the damage to your prop/price they been around for years.
always done great work for me at the right price.
www.deltaprop.com
kenny g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic