NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which 3M product?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which 3M product?
    Posted: October-15-2009 at 3:02pm
Hey guys, I started wetsanding the deck of the Ski Tique yesterday and am very happy with the results. I started with 800 then moved to 1000 but have yet to get all the way around the entire deck.

I want to get some materials ordered for the rubbing compound since I can't find anything marine around here. What do you all suggest as my next step?

Go up to 1200 or 1500 or a rubbing compound that cuts 1000grit?

Use 3M?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 3:09pm
Chris,   I would have skipped all the wet sanding and hit it with 3M heavy duty polishing comp. then some 3M Glazing comp.     JMO

AT
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 3:26pm
Alan, I was going to but didn't have anything ordered and wanted to get going!

I also had some paint lines like you'd find on a hot rod around the deck so I wanted to get rid of that and see if I could get the color to come back without being able to see those lines.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 3:31pm
Chris, heres what I suggest:

wetsand 800, 1000, 1200

3M Super Duty Compound on a 1" pile wool pad, 2x
3M Perfect-It II Compound on a 1.5" pile wool pad, 1x
3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material (this is a polish) on a wool/acrylic blend polishing pad, 2x
Collinites 925 wax, by hand with a microfiber cloth

I get all my 3M stuff and Lake Country pads from Smart Shoppers. They have the best prices that Ive found and carry everything you'll need, save for the wax (available at Napa or ebay).

You definitely need a good rotary polisher for this stuff. With your fleet Id invest in a Dewalt 849 or the Milwaukee equivalent. If you want more info (part numbers, etc), let me know. This process has worked wonders for every boat Ive used it on.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 3:44pm
Awesome, Thanks Tim. I've got a nice rotary polisher down here, not sure the make or model but I'll get some pics up this afternoon or evening.

Did you get anything in the mail yet Tim? Should be there soon if not.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 3:49pm
Chris, I had you send it to my parents house- will be back there this weekend. Thanks again!

On the rotary polisher, just make sure it is a variable speed, or at least can spin in the 2000 RPM range. Thats about where you need it to work for the 3 products listed above. One more thing- you'll need a backing plate to match the style of pads youre using. All of my stuff is hook and loop (velcro).
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 3:54pm
That sounds exactly like what I've got. I'll get some stuff ordered today!

I still can believe how much of a difference there is between the stuff I've wetsanded thus far!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Chris,   I would have skipped all the wet sanding and hit it with 3M heavy duty polishing comp. then some 3M Glazing comp.     JMO

AT

I tried taking the easy route like you're suggesting, since my gel wasn't in terrible shape at all, just light oxidation. But I've got to disagree with this, after I finished the compound just didn't cut thru the oxidized layer enough. Definitely hit it with some wetsanding, as I will be doing later.

And I have also ordered from Smartshoppersinc like Tim posted, very good company, and they shipped extremely fast, pleasure to do business with them. No online ordering however, just give them a call and they'll hook you up
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:52pm
regarding wet sanding, what type of sanding block do you guys use??
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:18pm
Nick,
On flat surfaces I always use a hard bloc. It can be a simple block of wood. You'll get better leveling with it in case there are some minor high spots in the gel. Inside radius's I will still use a hard block. I have varying sizes of wood dowel rods. Outside radius's are the only place I may use a rubber block but I find just my hand and palm work good too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 11:37am
if you can afford it, use a DA with Hook-it sanding discs, and gradually work up to 1500 grit, use soap in the bucket or a spray bottle with the water and soap mixed
"the things you own will start to own you"
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2009 at 5:09pm
If your going to spend the money on a DA, buy a hutchins. By far the best out there for finish work. IMHO
My Blue 82SOLD!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2009 at 11:11pm
have 2 in the collection and your on the money, hutchins are second to none
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 3:01pm
Did the same sort of process back in the spring on my Supra. I started with 1000 grit on the wetsand, then followed almost exactly what TRBenj listed (except I used a different wax). All good products and a god process. Mine was pretty heavily oxidized and it came out really good when it was all done. Let me know if you want to see pictures for inspiration ;-)
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 11:15pm
I have 1 with the handle on, 1 with the handle off... 2 DA's are better than 1.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2009 at 10:32am
Andy, i bought one new in the box for 20 bucks. alot of guy's walk in selling stuff....but your right, i took the handle off one of them and like using it that way.....do you have a mud hog?
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 5:16am
Sure do! Ever light bondo dust on fire in front of someone that has no clue? Hehe. I used to have the Hutchins Hustler, but I think I grew legs. Since I'm now a plumber, I haven't needed to replace it. You a gravity fed guy? 20 bucks. You oughtta be slapped for taking advantage of the mentally incompetant. Ever use dx 55 for heavy buffing?
My Blue 82SOLD!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 10:32am
my family has always owned Bodyshops and i grew up around them, never took much interest though and went more towards the greasy side. we use guns now that are like baby bottles with a plastic liner, no waste and very little cleaning. Also the paint companies are switching to water base believe it or not to shoot cars, we have a mix station and a blackhawk? drive on to yank.
bodywork gives me incentive to get my own work so i dont have to do bodywork lol. my 21 year old nephew has it in his blood, he can lay down the paint
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 9:25pm
I've had to use the waterbased stuff a few times. I still get to play in the booth from time to time. I've got a few good friends with shops.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 9:40pm
crappy pic, but I still had fun.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 10:21am
nice... i thought it was a bike fender at first, then at a closer look i realized it was a mail box. you better lag bolt that one down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 10:23am

he was 20 when he did this one
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 10:54am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

my 21 year old nephew has it in his blood

Hopefully the new water based paints will keep the solvent out of his blood, unlike the isocyanate enamels I used to use!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 11:42am
it stinks so bad you have to wear a mask lol
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 12:21pm

[/QUOTE]
And I have also ordered from Smartshoppersinc like Tim posted, very good company, and they shipped extremely fast, pleasure to do business with them. No online ordering however, just give them a call and they'll hook you up [/QUOTE]

I've ordered several items from here good prices and quick shipping.
Best price on 303 fabric guard and collinite that I've found.
They also have pads and polishers.
http://www.autogeek.net/boatandrv.html
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 10:32am
along with lighting bondo dust, we'll sneak behind someone and fill a styrofoam cup with oxy acetylene and hit it with the torch. m-80 worth of noise. guys use to fill garbage bags full and tie a rope to it and light the rope...those woold rattle the windows.
I told this story before, as i was walking into a shop my brother ran, a guy was mig welding on top of a empty 55 gallon drum that held laquer thinner, it blew out a couple windows, alot of the cieling tiles, started a car on fire and put him out of work for a couple weeks, the ends of the drum were now rounded...after that we called the guy boom boom
Peter Gullen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Gullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 10:53am
Does anyone know of a site that explains the differences between all the 3M products? Im having a hard time working out which is best, lots of sites sell different model numbers and have slightly different wording, for example ive got 3M finesse it finishing material, is this the same as finesse it II finishing material? Are there different types of finishing material, whats the difference between finesse-it and perfect-it? Also do i need to spray water to keep it from burning or is that just for when compounding?
Thanks, peter
93 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 12:10pm
use, 3m perfect-it 3000, part number 06063 rubbing compound...you wont go wrong
Peter Gullen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Gullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 12:30pm
Thanks, im limited to what my local shop carries, which is not a lot, and can only find different types online in the uk, and with postage ends up being very expensive. I was hoping to find a chart or something detailing the entire product range so i can see if what my local shop carries is worth buying. All the bottles seem to say roughly the same thing but with slightly different wording and differeent part numbers.They dont carry the finesse it II, only the finesse it, and i wondered what the difference was. I will check and see if they have the perfect it 3000. Is there really that much difference between all the similar products?
I would like to use 3M stuff because of all the good reviews about it here, but it seems like its is not as widely used here in the uk.
93 Ski Nautique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 5:12pm
Peter have a look at this link, its not 3M I have found its easier to use less smeary than 3M so quicker with a sharper shine.
Give them a call to see who sells it near you.
You may need these when you finish

farecla
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic