NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BFN prop clearance improvement

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BFN prop clearance improvement
    Posted: October-14-2009 at 9:05pm
I would venture no one has ever done this before. The Wizard doing more magic.
bj
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 9:06pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 9:06pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 9:07pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 9:09pm
hasbeenskier
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 9:09pm
Is there a chunk of wood in the rudder port?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 9:19pm
The short answer is no. The rudder table on the inside was glassed over plywood, but it was removed and one inch of various layers of glass was laminated on the inside of the hull to build it up to accomodate the removal of 5/8 " on the bottom. You can see a spot where the grinder hit the new glass
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 9:24pm
The dark spot at the very back will be repaired. It is an imperfection during the original lay up. It is polyester resin spot with no glass in it.
bj
hasbeenskier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 9:43pm
BJ, I meant to ask you when we spoke about this- was the main reason for undertaking this project to increase prop to hull clearance? Or do you expect some sort of handling/speed difference? Im very curious what the before/after impressions are. Im wondering if there is speed to be gained from this mod, and how it affects the wake shape!

I know this notch is what allowed the 81+ BFN's to run the 14x14 prop from the factory (79-80 shipped with 13x15's)... and even that 13" Federal was tight on our '79. The Acme's have a bit more aft rake than the older props, so the hull clearance becomes less of an issue, just FYI. We're running a 13x14 Acme now and have plenty of clearance.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 10:15pm
It may reduce the rooster tail a little but we do not beleive it will change the performance or handling much. Gary, (The Wizard) made the modification just to improve on the gap between the prop and the hull. A larger space between the prop and hull will minimize any vibration. The rule of thumb is: The distance between the prop and hull should be 10% of the diameter of the prop. Having the 79 and the 81 both there for comparison made it a modification easily done in an afternoon
bj
hasbeenskier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2010 at 8:16pm
Bump to the top...

The keel on our '79 BFN aft of the strut is pretty beat up. Not sure if it was the minimal prop clearance (the original 13x15 had about 3/8") or if there had been some strike damage, but the glass is not in good shape. One of the previous owners had attached a thin piece of sheet metal to the keel between the strut and rudder port and through bolted it to the hull. Lots of chipped glass and sealant everywhere. The rudder and rudder port also have some pretty severe pitting... not sure if thats related or not.

Since the inside of the boat is stripped down to the bare hull anyways, we'll be adding 5/8" worth of glass to the inside from the strut back to give us the option of notching our keel at a later date. I think it would be pretty straightforward to take 5/8" off.   

The big question is, how will it affect top end speed? Any speculation would be welcome. My intuition tells me that it might be like a smaller version of a stepped hull (a la X-55, etc), so if anything, there might be a small gain. So long as no one thinks the mod will result in a speed loss, I think we will probably undertake it this summer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 11:03am
A few years later and I've finally decided to go for it on this "notched keel" mod. Again, all 81-90 direct drive BFN's got notched keels from the factory, as did all of the v-drive excel/bfn's 91-94. I think the primary purpose of the notch was to increase prop clearance. The original 13" diameter Federal was very tight (<1/2" hull clearance) on our '79 (pre-notch) BFN. Later (notched) BFN's ran 14" diameter props.

Last "before" shot:

Marked at 1/2":

Notched:

I started out with my HF power planer, but that was a little slow going even set at max depth... Probably due to the abuse its suffered. Then it died, so onto plan B- 40 grit flap discs on my angle grinder. Made a huge mess (dust) but took that 1/2" of thickness off quickly. Still need to smooth with a block and then fill in any remaining low spots... Then it'll be time to cut the recess for the rudder port. I have a good router, but any thoughts on specific bits, or how to make and attach a jig would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll be free handing it and then touching it up with thickened resin afterwards.

I am eager to see the differences in the boat's performance afterwards... My main hope is that this improves steering effort at speed. Even after taking all the weight out of our 79, converting to a new "2001" style long-travel steering cable and trying 2 different 11a rudders, it still takes significant effort (sometimes 2 hands) to crank the wheel over at higher speeds- the faster you go, the harder it is to crank over. Pinky finger easy at idle, so there is something else at play. Other early (pre-87) BFN's turn much easier, so I'm hoping that raising the rudder 1/2" or so changes that dynamic.

Other wish-list improvements would be a wake improvement (less washy lip) and an improvement (or at least no detriment) to top end speed. We shall see.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 11:12am
For reference, here is a stock notch (87 BFN):

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 11:19am
I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding this, but by removing the built up section for the rudder port notch, is the rudder port now not recessed?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 11:30am
Tim,
Looking great.
For the routing of the rudder port, make a rectangular cut out in a piece of at least 1/2" ply. Size the cut out the size of the port plus the distance from the cutter to the router base. Screw it in position and fill the holes later. A ball end straight cutter would be my choice since it will leave a radius in the bottom of the recess. A plunge base router would be ideal but if your router doesn't have one, just angle the router into the template and cut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 1:12pm
Correct Bruce... I still need to re-cut the recess for the port.

Like this Pete?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 1:31pm
Tim,
That will do it although a multi fluted cutter would cut cleaner but then you will be going over the cut with resin so the single flute will work. It will leave ridges in the bottom next to the base of the port. They could be ground down or filled. You could also make a finish cut with a square end straight cutter but that would require another ply template.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 2:37pm
Pete, I am not up speed on the terminology you're using... Got a link that explains the basics? Or pics of a "multi flute" cutter? Google image search results aren't consistent.

I think I'm getting the gist though... I'll bring the port home, make a jig or 2 and make a few practice cuts with the router once I get it back. I'll probably need new bits so feel free to recommend some, else I'll swing by HD and see what they have.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 3:37pm
Tim,
Here's just a straight square bottom router bit:

This is the one you would use to flatten out the bottom after using the radius bit. Do the radius first. With lots of passes, the bottom may be smooth enough and only need some going over with some rough sand paper.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 3:51pm
Tim,
I only mentioned a radius in the bottom of the pocket because it's common practice to reduce a stress point from a sharp corner by using a radius. The pocket would need to be oversize so the port base doesn't hit the radius. The gap can then be filled in with bedding compound (4200).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 3:52pm
Make life a little easier with one similar to this.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Looking at that picture Tim and wondering if you have the engine or trans out by the looks of that shaft? Sure must be hard with all the dust and the position you have to be in to get this done. Seem to remember you reinforced that area with this in mind when you replaced all the stringers too. Nice winters project.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 5:28pm
I like BJ's idea of the gradual or radiused notch behind the strut.   Seems like it would be less likely to create an air pocket.

edit:   Didn't mean to make it sound like I was discrediting Tim's work.   In fact all you guys doing these experimental hull mods deserve a huge round of applause.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I like BJ's idea of the gradual or radiused notch behind the strut.   Seems like it would be less likely to create an air pocket.

Tim mentioned the steps in the X55 which are right angled to the bottom as well. They, just like steps on a hydro or the stepped racers back in the 20's and 30's, increase speed by reducing drag on the hull bottom (air). But, there is a drawback at least on the X55. The rudder will cavitate at about 80% throttle making a turn to port. The boat flattens out, heads straight ahead and does not respond to the rudder position. Scary and the only thing to do is chop the power. When our ski club had the stripped down X, we actually have to reverse the show course from counterclockwise to clockwise!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 8:07pm
Nice work Tim!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 10:33pm
Gary, that's what minimizing strut to prop clearance looks like.

Actually, the trans is wintering in the Finger Lakes as it was popping out of gear and slipping under load (again). Still awaiting Dr Joe's diagnosis, but it may be necessary to go to a 10-18 if the 72c can't be saved.

Al, I should have reviewed this thread before I made my cut, it looks like BJ stopped his notch well short of the factory version and sloped it more gradually. My intention was to put the hard 90 step in the same place the factory started the slope (in effect, leaving extra material on the hull), thus giving myself the option to soften that feature later. it sounds like cavitation and rudder stall may be the downsides to look out for. Indeed, I had the stepped hull feature on the brain when I decided to go sharp. Seems some hull features are most effective (less sticky) when sharp... Maybe this particular feature is not a good candidate for that line of thinking. We shall see. I have other hull mods in mind and this hull is no show winner anyways... So it won't be getting any finishing touches (ie, gelcoat) anytime soon. Plenty of opportunities to make more changes if need be.

I spent some time on my back today with a block and 60 grit paper trying the get the area smoother... I'm still not there. More aggressive paper would be helpful, I may order some. Sanding upside down with dust raining down on you sucks, I'm ready for this project to be over! I did discover a bit of delam on one edge of the notch, so the grinder will have to come back out. One step forward, 2 steps back it seems, ha.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 9:30am
All I can say is WOW!!!!! Outstanding work but something I don't think I could bring myself to undertake.
Very interesting to follow along on this one.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 9:59am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

All I can say is WOW!!!!! Outstanding work but something I don't think I could bring myself to undertake.
Very interesting to follow along on this one.

Eddie,
But you did such a fantastic job on the AS cradle!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 12:03pm
Instead of a router bit you might want to look for a rotary file $4.99. IMO better suited for the application and also much cheaper than router bits.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 12:12pm
Tim,
I don't like Kevin's idea (sorry Kevin) using the rotary files. They won't take enough off in one pass. You may get about .020" with each cut so it would take many passes to get the roughly 3/8" deep pocket. It's as you know a real PITA working overhead. Holding that router for about 20 passes may get tough!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic