Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Floor
    Posted: February-17-2004 at 8:39pm
Hello, I have a 1968 correct craft mustang. I bought it as a restore project and it currently does not have a floor. It does have stringers and supports. Does anyone have pictures of a restore that I could reference in building my floor?
Rob 68MustangSS
lectrician89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lectrician89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2004 at 8:52pm
I don't have pictures to help you, but my floor is marine plywood in four pieces. Don't think it really matters. What motor do you have? I'm interested--you are the only one I've heard with a 68
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2004 at 9:10pm
I have the plywood, I just wanted to see what the frame looks like under the floor. I have 210 interceptor. It has the center console with dual shifters.
Rob 68MustangSS
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2004 at 5:43pm
I guess no one has pic's of there floor restore project.
Rob 68MustangSS
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2004 at 5:47pm
check the diaries I thought there where some pictures there.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2004 at 6:47pm
ROB, go to diaries 1976-80 marc dillers 77 ski tique will give you a good idea of whats going on under your floor.
kenny g
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2004 at 8:44pm
the 'need an investor' thread has a link to a previous restoration project.

i forget what the drain holes are called, but it won't hurt to add extra.

here is some

carnage.but i did not see any floor support shots.
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2004 at 10:00pm
I guess I will just wing it. Thank you.
Rob 68MustangSS
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2004 at 10:13pm
my 72 has two long sections that run from the center of the stringers along the curvature of gunwhales/gunnels. there is a front rectangular section that runs under the engine lid to the bow. the rear rectangular section is under the rear of the engine lid back to the tank. these are just the top panels.

the link on my other post shows which sections are glassed in underneath these 4 carpet covered panels.
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2004 at 11:04pm
Thank you. What I really need is to see how the skeleton looks under the floor. The guy I bought the boat from took all the foam out and started to redo the skeleton other than the stringers. I just need to see what it is suppose to look like. I have an Idea, but I just want to make sure.
Rob 68MustangSS
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2004 at 10:35pm
support the boat so she lays straight.
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2004 at 2:28am
Is there anymore photos?
Rob 68MustangSS
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2004 at 1:20pm
i would send an email to marc. i stole that photo from the diaries.

pressure treated lumber is usually number 2. you'll need to hand pick some clear tight grained examples preferably from the bottom of the tree. no knots. yellow pine has almost twice the strength of white pine lumber, but is more apt to warp. (if you go to bills hydro link you can read about spruce and fir strains of lumber.)

if you do use pressure treated, i would buy a few boards and leave them out in the sun and see what happens.   
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2004 at 11:41am
another shot from the diaries...the wildcat.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2004 at 7:05pm
DO NOT USE PRESSURE TREATED AS RESIN WILL NOT STAY STUCK TO IT BECAUSE OF THE CHEMICALS USE D
woodyelc
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2004 at 11:39pm
fir would be the wood of choice.
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2004 at 8:52pm
Here is a little subject change. Has anyone installed a 351w in a late 60s 16' mustang?
Rob 68MustangSS
h2oskeefreek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2oskeefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2004 at 2:06pm
not sure how long a Ford Mustang is, but I've seen plenty of late '60's with 460's
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2004 at 10:34pm
You are kidding right?
Rob 68MustangSS
PKster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PKster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2004 at 10:38pm
Wow, a 460? Damn, I've got the 302 and it's pretty crammed in as it is. Maybe with some modification to the engine area.
JeffinLodi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffinLodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2004 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Rbest Rbest wrote:

Here is a little subject change. Has anyone installed a 351w in a late 60s 16' mustang?

Hi Rob,

I have a '67 Mustang with a 351 and a need for a new floor. I would appreciate hearing of your experience.

Jeff
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2004 at 9:56am
If the pressure treated lumber is DRY and sanded with 36 grit ,resin should stick. If you really want to do it right, use douglas fir. I dried all the PT (# 1 decking) for 6 weeks.Same with the PT plywood. Anything can't be worse than the way it was made with almost dry choppergun and unwet out roving.
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2004 at 3:52pm
What prop do you have in the 67 mustang with the 351? How does it run?
Rob 68MustangSS
tstafford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tstafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2004 at 6:51pm
I belive that the floor on my 68 Mustang was origonal before I removed it. It has a fiberglass tray that sits on top of the floor. When I removed the tray, the floor looked as though fiberglass mat was wetted out over the foam and stringers. The glass was about 1/16 of an inch thick and tabbed one inch up the side of the boat.   
I have some good pictures of the guts of my Mustang, but it is not finished yet.
Hope it helps.
Trevor 1968 Mustang
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2004 at 12:06am
Rob I run a 13X13cupped on my 66 barracuda and it pulls great with a top end of 49MPH@ 4800RPM. For Wakeboarding I run a 14X11. the top end is about the same but I can pull 3 boarders up at once
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2004 at 3:39pm
Thanks Rick. Nice looking boat. If anyone has pic's of there floor without the seats and engine cover I would greatly appreciate it.
Rob 68MustangSS
planeguy140 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planeguy140 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2004 at 6:26pm
I am also looking for pictures. I am putting in a new floor on a 1971 Barracuda. Tim
68Mustang16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68Mustang16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Rbest Rbest wrote:

Not a 351 but I have a 68 mustang with a 350 chevy. Very simple and very smooth.

I am new here and I am hopping to get some stringer help. I have just a shell left as I am beginning her second restoration.

Gary
68Mustang16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68Mustang16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by tryan tryan wrote:

support the boat so she lays straight.

How did you get the hull so clean and is that structure the same as the original. gorgeous work! That is what I want to do with mine. Any more info and pics will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much
Gary
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 8:02pm
FYI gary this thread is about 4 years old and probably wont get much of response. However there is plenty to see here on floors and stringers and at least a half dozen of us currently in the middle of the process. On current thread is titled "weeding the pumpkin patch" under the boat maintanece forum.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic