Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing muffler with Y pipe on 97 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing muffler with Y pipe on 97 Nautique
    Posted: August-14-2009 at 1:31am
I just finished replacing my muffler with a Y pipe.

Here's the background. A few weeks ago we almost swamped the boat when the muffler started leaking due to a crack in the bottom caused by rubbing on the hull. Anyone with a low profile 2 into 1 muffler under the floor should make sure the rubber pads are still in place to keep this from happening. For me it was too late.

I ordered a Centek fiberglass Y pipe 3 1/2 into 4 and 4 1/2 feet of corrugated hose from Matt at Race City Marine. Checked out with no leaks. I'll post some pics tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten by with 4 feet as I had about 6" left over.

Anyone concerned about too much noise without a muffler, don't worry. There's a little more rumble at idle but I really did not notice much difference when cruising. The fiberglass down pipes and all that rubber hose must act as mufflers.

-Phil
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 1:59am
Phil, glad you got it together! Looking forward to pics!
WLKONH2O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLKONH2O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2009 at 1:19am
Phil
Glad it all came together for u! Looking forward to the pictures ! Let me know if I can help

Matt
WLKONH2O <><
96 Ski Nautique
Race City Marine
Inboard Parts & Repair
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 12:31am
yes get the pictures coming.
i'm interested in the setup..I might want to do a dual setup but not as fancy as tim ones...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 2:46am
Here's what it looks like. Pretty clean and simple install.

I zip tied one of the rubber pads from the old muffler around the Y pipe to make sure it can't rub on the hull.

Once I got this done, I noticed trans fluid in the bilge - always something! Since I had the floor and doghouse out, it was easy to figure out the source of the leak - a bad trans cooling line - got that fixed and I'm back on the water.

Skiing behind the boat, I notice it is a bit louder but not offensive. Makes it seem like I'm going a few MPH faster!

70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 2:49am
In case you noticed the ripped blower hose, I fixed that too!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 2:55am
looks good...
ccmustang73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmustang73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 3:24am
i like em a little louder!!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 11:06am
but how is the rumble when idling on cruising at 1500-2000 rpm for the ones seating in the backseat?
is it tolereable? i wonder for the small kids...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 11:39am
70 do you have another picture of the joint or connection from the elbows to the fiberglass pipes from engine to floor? those to fabricate them or they came like that? they need to be in FB or is the same if use rubber hose?
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 12:52pm
Nice job and "rumble" is always good!
"To profit from good advice requires more wisdom than to give it"
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2009 at 2:31am
Hi Kapla,

I'd say noise in the backseat is halfway between an older 70's boat with no mufflers and the stock 97 and that was with the seat out. I think if the seat was in it would be a bit quiter.

The fiberglass downtubes were stock on the 97. Used to have short sections of hose connecting these to the muffler. I'm sure you could run flex hose all the way from the risers to the Y pipe.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2009 at 1:46pm
Good work Phil! Now get that thing out to Diamondhead and lets get you through the course! Then you can convince the rest of my family to get a 97!
2000CanadaAirNAutiqu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000CanadaAirNAutiqu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 2:28am
Phil,
How did you pay for the pipe? Also will a 2000 Air Nautique be the same sizes for the Y pipe as the 97 Nautique
michiel200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 5:38am
Nice and clean modification, Phil.
I miss the V8 sound of my previous '69 Boesch
So consider it for my 5.8 HO BFN.
Did you notice any change in performance?
'92 BFN
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 1:57pm
That looks nice. I hate the big muffler on my 95. It really takes up a lot of space. If it was too loud, you could easily slip in a short muffler after the Y to tone it down.
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 2:15pm
I bought the Y pipe through Race City Marine. They did a drop ship from Centek so I could get it quickly. Sorry I don't know about the 2000 Air Nautique.

I can't say if the performance changed, I was already under-propped and the boat would turn 5100 RPM at about 45 MPH. A louder boat or car always feels faster though!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 2:24pm
Canada: I think for the air (mid engine mount rigth?) its the same diameter ypipe just little longer hose I think...Please fill in your profile!!! so we know at leat your name!! LOL
Michel for your BFN the engine sits in the back so some other mods are needed to eliminate the muffler...
ThereĀ“s a member called Hotboat who owns a BFN like yours and did the direct pipes exiting from the transom..above the water line!!!or like..
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 12:05pm
To do this to a 95 sn, do I need to get the exhaust tubes for a 96-97:

Tubes

To make my mod look like yours? Or can I run a long 3.5" exhaust tube from the risers to the y-pipe?

95 Ski Nautique GT40
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 12:09pm
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/exhausttubesmufflers1996-1997nautiques.aspx

Didn't post the link correctly in the hyperlink.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 12:19pm
No, you dont *need* the exhaust tubes, you can run straight hose like this '90. The tubes might make it a little easier though.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 3:16am
Anyone know where I can get the pad that goes under the hull huger muffler. My GT-40 in my '97 Sport appears to not have any pad under the muffler and I notice the noise the first time I started the boat.

No holes in the muffler yet but don't want any.

I figured I'd just see if I could get a soft rubber/foam door mat from Home Depot and cut it to fit. Would love some other suggestions.

Thanks,
Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 10:14am
Keith, we use a lot of what we call 'softeners' at work so we can chain down large machined pieces for transport. I'm not exactly sure where they come from, but they appear to be 1/4 to 3/8 in thick rubber with a layer of cloth in the middle, that I believe is some sort of conveyor belt. How big of a piece would you need?   I may have some extras laying around most are about 3 x 6 rectangles.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 12:03pm
Keith, you can get rubber sheet from Mcmaster. There are all sorts of sizes, grades, thicknesses, etc... including adhesive backed. Something like part number 8635K744 may work for the muffler.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 12:44pm
Keith,
I agree with Tim. Through the years I've gotten plenty of rubber sheet from McMaster. One thing I do recommend if you go with the adhesive back is to put a coat on solvent based contact cement on the muffler before sticking the rubber on. Trim the rubber to smaller pieces to protect only the areas that rub on the hull. The smaller pieces will conform to a irregular surface better and will stick better.

The Buna-N is a good choice for the oily bilge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 3:52pm
Thanks for the suggestions Tim and Pete!

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 10:26pm
Hi,I want this setup on my 89. I get the Y pipe and the rubber hose. But what did you use to get from the exhaust manifold down to the rubber hose? It looks like fiberglass.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2015 at 12:31am
Glass tube or hose works.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2015 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Strega51 Strega51 wrote:

Hi,I want this setup on my 89. I get the Y pipe and the rubber hose. But what did you use to get from the exhaust manifold down to the rubber hose? It looks like fiberglass.

These are from 96-97 models originally equipped with the hull hugger muffler:

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/exhausttubesmufflers1996-1997nautiques.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic