NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Ski Nautique Total Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 12>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 12:24pm
Cool Pete, it was a brand new NOS part when I installed it. I just don't want it to lock up and send metal throughout the engine. It probably has about 600ish hours on it and hasn't been out since I installed it. Only loosened for timing adjustments.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Haven't you seen Pertronix's ad? Adam tested TimBob approved!

There you have it....worth it's weight in gold!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Points till I die.

Same here. Everyone over here at the marina is trying to convince me to change to EI...
But I'm sticking to points, since the engine still runs like a charm... So, no motivation whatsoever to change anything

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 5:23pm
My points have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-700 hours on them and I haven't touched them once since they were installed.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 5:38pm
Here is the Fram canister I mentioned above. I reinstalled it a few nights ago after cleaning it up and replacing the internal filter element.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 6:34pm
Looks awesome!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

My points have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-700 hours on them and I haven't touched them once since they were installed.

Exactly what I and others have said many times!! The EI conversions are simply BS hype bling!! Some not reliable and do absolutely nothing to the performance of the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 11:23am
Plus, like Tim always says, points will fail but they will usually at least allow you to idle back to the house.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 1:51pm
Seems like the opinions around these parts about electronic vs point ignition is every bit as robust as foam vs no foam. I have no presuppositions about how it will work for me. The conversion was simple, and just as simple to reverse, at probably 5 -10 minutes. PerTronix has been around for a long time, that in its self doesn't mean everything, but it does mean something. With over 3,500,000 units sold they are relevant. I will see for myself.

During the rebuild of the Holley 4160 I dropped the electric choke cover with element inside. It proved to be pretty rotten and the element broke away from the cover. I may have been able to epoxy it back together, but decided it was probably a bad idea. So that was a $30 lesson. Fortunately a local speed shop had the replacements in stock. The fuel line from the pump to the carb was not metal all the way, so I replaced it as well. Got it installed on the engine last evening.

Hopefully, tonight I will be able to orient the distributor and makeup the Taylor 8mm plug wires and get them installed. That should pretty much finish up the engine work until I mate it with the Velvet Drive and install it. Earlier this week I dropped the old skins along with the doghouse, coaming pads and seat frames at a local upholstery shop. Earlier on I had decided on Christine's, but changed my mind recently. I am confident that Christines would have been a great choice. The lady who reupholstered my boat 20 years ago is out of business, but I found out some of her employees are working at the shop I decided on. Hoping for a good job since I am pretty picky.

While I am waiting on the interior I am turning my attention on the carpet installation and reinstalling the coupler on the prop shaft. Looks like the proper method is to hijack the kitchen stove and bring it up to 500* before installation?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 1:58pm
Looking good!!! It makes me nervous to leave a full motor hanging with manifolds on a engine stand. I know I'm just paranoid but I stick a 2/4 under the oil pan for good measure.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 2:15pm
Thanks, Zach. Good idea. Yes, adding the complete exhaust manifolds with risers made a huge difference that was obvious just in pushing the stand around. Since it will be a few weeks before I reinstall it I will figure out a way to crib it up on the stand.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 2:27pm
Thought I would mention this so that it might help someone else. When pulling the breaker plate on the Prestolite IBM distributor I realized that one of the internal springs was missing, with no evidence of it anywhere inside. I did some research and my determination is that it was supposed to be there. I finally figured out the correct part number and replaced both springs since they came in a kit. I am not smart enough to understand the physics in not having identical springs on the internal weights. I can only assume the missing spring deteriorated, came loose, and was destroyed?

Here is a picture from when I opened it up.

Here is a picture of the replacement springs with the Pleasurecraft part #

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 2:45pm
Good to know those springs are still available!

The reason for having 2 different springs is because the advance curve is exactly that- a curve. The shorter/lower tension spring is engaged first, as rpms increase and the spring stretches, the longer/higher tension spring is engaged as well. This allows for a steeper advance slope at lower rpm and a shallower slope at higher rpm.

I hope you have better luck with the Pertronix than others have... My experience has been that the reduced performance and spotty reliability isn't worth the extra cost over points.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 3:29pm
There seems to be a high failure rate lately,I wonder if they have changed their electronics supplier
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 3:34pm
My points work nice

I will say however that current points dont seem to be manufactured as closely as they once were. The points in my boat are NOS from who knows when. The guy had a pallet of NOS 87- Prestolite standard rotation Dizzys on ebay years ago. I should have bought more than one.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 3:36pm
Enough of the points rah rah already. Hear you loud and clear. I must have missed all these documented Pertonix failures?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 3:37pm
I have heard that Zach,no demand anymore. I wonder if Echline from NAPA are still any good? They should be fine until you take a file to them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 9:28pm
just one of the reports I've seen over the years on this site.

Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

E spark (mallory) seems to be the best. Thats the one i use (86 2001).
My brothers (Pertronix) was bad out of the box.(84 2001)
When you mount the new coil try not to "lay in down" 30* angle or better.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 1:28am
Started on the carpet tonight, going to take me a few nights. Hope to finish on Friday evening in order to attempt loading it back on the trailer this weekend.

connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 10:12am
that red looks great!
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 10:54am
I better stop this before it gets out of hand since there seem to be some around here with a thing for red Correct Crafts! Its actually maroon or burgundy. The picture does make it look red., though.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:26pm
Pretty much finished the carpet tonight, just need to figure out the best way to install the panels that attach to the sides of the airbox. I made new panels out of composite and wrapped them with carpet tonight and will get them installed tomorrow. I will probably try the velcro method that someone suggested first since there is no downside to trying it. Not interested in penetrating the fiberglass with fasteners. So if the Velcro doesn't work i may try using some 4200 fast cure blobs.

Tomorrow i will attempt placing the beast back on the trailer without dropping it on the garage floor. Hoping for success. Once i do that the boat will no longer fit in the garage since it has the boarding platform installed now. So, its go or blow.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 5:55am
Man, that carpet looks pretty darn nice

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 3:37pm
Where did you get the carpet ? That's exactly what I need . Real nice job you did there.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 10:26pm
OldCuda. I had my local carpet store order it for me. The name is burgundy Ship And Shore delux. They got it from Value Mills in Dalton GA. I ordered 2 pieces of 6' x 20' and it cost $130.80 for each piece. If I had to do over i would have ordered 2 pieces at 16'. I also got 2 gallons of glue, and that was way more than i used.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 11:18pm
Repatriated the SN with her trailer today. Glad that's over and she is no longer incarcerated in the garage. Freedom! I was a bit more nervous jacking her up off the stands than I was way back then placing her on the stands. I was thinking about how much more work would need to be undertaken if i were to drop her on the concrete.

Really great getting the garage opened up and getting somewhat reorganized. Probably will need to wait until next weekend to reinstall the engine and transmission. Upholstery is supposed to be ready this week as well.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 11:29pm
Very nice! Love the color
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 11:32pm
Arklie,
When the engine was in the boat, how much weight was on the trailer tongue?

The boat sure is coming along great. I'm sure the big day will be when it hits the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 11:44pm
Pete, I cant say for sure since we seldom trailered her. She stayed on my boat lift year round since at least 1992. Today I was able to pick the tongue up with some effort, probably 100 lbs, but the engine transmission, seats, doghouse, and fuel is missing.

If i need to scoot her forward after all the above is reinstalled i will do so in order to make she she isn't tongue light.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 12:16am
Looks great!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic