NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Ski Nautique Total Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Watauga Watauga wrote:

I have watched the alignment video. I have a question for you; no matter how much manipulation I do, the shaft is not exactly centered in the log. It isn't far off, and as I remember- it was like this when I disassembled it. Up/down = no problem, almost perfect. port/starboard = off to port a smidgen. I assume the only way to make it 100% perfect would be to elongate the mounting holes (in the hull) toward the starboard? Do you have any suggestions.

From the picture, it looks like your shaft is off in the log more than I'd like to see. It almost looks like it's touching the top/port side of the log. The strut needs alignment. This can be done buy hole elongation or by using stainless flat washers between the strut and hull. Loosen the strut, remove the two port side bolts and slip flat wasters (one at each bolt) under the port side then see what happens. Alignment starts at the strut!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 1:19pm
Pete, here is an almost dead-on picture. What do you think?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 1:30pm

Pete, here is an almost dead-on picture. What do you think?

Arklie,
Remember that without support, the shaft will hang low forward due to the weight and the slop in the cutlass so, I'd say it's still high. Support the shaft and turn it to see where it's "happy" rotating in the cutlass and then note it's position in the log.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 1:51pm
Okay, sounds good. I will be able to fiddle with it tonight and see if I can make it better. The prop is currently installed on the shaft as well. I was hoping that I would be able to do this without removing it since I don't have a puller. Is removing the prop necessary to get a good alignment job?

To make sure what you are saying: Shimming the actual bolt is not necessary; just shimming the plate is sufficient?

Glad I used 4200 rather than 5200.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 2:09pm

Okay, sounds good. I will be able to fiddle with it tonight and see if I can make it better. The prop is currently installed on the shaft as well. I was hoping that I would be able to do this without removing it since I don't have a puller. Is removing the prop necessary to get a good alignment job?

To make sure what you are saying: Shimming the actual bolt is not necessary; just shimming the plate is sufficient?

Glad I used 4200 rather than 5200.

The strut can be aligned with the prop on the shaft. It's just some extra weight. I suggest the washers on the actual bolt. Yup, this is a case of dry fitting first before bedding the strut to the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 1:03am
Brainardized it. Took it apart and put it back together 3 times, before I was happy. I finally realized that my problem was that I was using a cordless driver to run the nuts down. I checked them with a 1/2 ratchet and the blasted thing came right into line. Still need to crawl back under and do a little cleanup around the cavity of the strut and the fins tomorrow evening.

I also got the exhaust ports and flappers installed tonight; nice to do an easy job.

Here is my question for the night. What is the best method to cut exhaust hose? I was thinking about either a portable handheld bandsaw, a 14" friction saw, or a long bi-metal blade on a Sawzall?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 2:07pm
Arklie,
The shaft sure looks good now. Yes, you really need to be careful with the portable drill/drivers and even the impacts. The last problem I encountered was the electrical contractor at the plant using one to tighten the main wire lugs on the switch gear. We had 4 connections fail due to not being torqued properly. You'd be surprised at how much heat can be generated at a 1200 amp 480 volt lug!! Luckily we had the wire length long enough to cut the ends back and then reconnect.

Regarding the exhaust hose, a plain old hack saw works. If you are cutting wire reinforced, cut up to the wire and then clip it with side cutters. The friction saw will work but wow, the smoke!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 5:22pm
This is an awesome thread. You have done an awesome job. I know in my case I would LEARN so much tearing into my boat. And then when it is done, you feel so comfortable knowing how it all goes together and that it is not going to breakdown or fail you.

I have just finished a '75 Porsche 914. It is not pretty, but mechanically I would drive it to California and back with no fear.

My wife is pleading with me for this to be the last car. I said it would be, 'cause I want to rebuild a BOAT next. Maybe a Fish Nautique....

Congrats
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 5:38pm
Clark,
Ahh...chasing the tail of the Dragon, eh? I have been there many times, but it has been a while. Last time through was with a group of guys on sportbikes from up here in Upper East Tennessee and several wrecked. No matter how much you try to suggest that us ole guys cant keep up with the 18 year olds on the Dragon, they still try. Fortunately, my friends usually make it back home, although sometimes not on the same bike they drove down there on, I have seen some terrible injuries. Been going down there for more than 20 years.
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 5:50pm
Yeah, we had a long caravan that day. No chance to speed with so many folks in front of you. I just put it in 3rd and cruised.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 9:33pm
Took a detour today. I had the boat in the garage nose first so it was easier to get to everything during the rehab. Today I pushed it out, turned it around and pushed it back in before jacking it up and pulling the trailer out from under it. Kind of scary, but I went slow and finally got it out. Took about 2 hours working by myself.

Then I went to work taking the trailer apart so I could grind the rust off and repaint.

One word-Air-Chisel. If you are working on a trailer that is rusted pretty badly, get one. I had this one stashed away for a long time but quickly remembered it when I started dealing with rusted carriage bolts that were spinning in the bunks. Got this one years ago at Northern Tools for $25 bucks or so.

Finally, does anyone know what these 2 drop down brackets are used for?

Ready to grind. The grinding never ends, does it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 9:42pm

One word-Air-Chise. If you are working on a trailer that is rusted pretty badly, get one. I had this one stashed away for a long time but quickly remembered it when I started dealing with rusted carriage bolts that were spinning in the bunks.

This is why I have suggested to anyone replacing bunks to use hex heads bolts set in countersinks.

Finally, does anyone know what these 2 drop down brackets are used for?

Light bar that's required in some states.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 10:13pm

Ready to grind. The grinding never ends, does it?

You may want to consider power wire brushing and then a rust penetrating primer. You will see all the grinder marks through the paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 11:06pm
Yes, Pete. Going to use a combination of methods, but primarily starting with a big-azz Milwaukee with a knotted wire brush. One of the worse job site injuries I have saw was when a laborer got a wire brush tangled up in a flannel shirt.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 4:04pm

Yes, Pete. Going to use a combination of methods, but primarily starting with a big-azz Milwaukee with a knotted wire brush. One of the worse job site injuries I have saw was when a laborer got a wire brush tangled up in a flannel shirt.

Stay away from the wire wheels!!!
You would be amazed at how many people end up in the ER from those spinning flechette dispensers. I’ve seen those wires stuck in eyes, faces, necks you name it.
Get some 3M 24 grit grinding discs and have at it then any bad grinding marks can be taken out with some 36 grit discs.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 4:30pm
Have it sandblasted,you get a better job and someone else gets dirty
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 4:38pm
Gary,
That’s what I would recommend and did with mine but I have a sand blaster and didn’t know how much he wanted to spend on the trailer restoration.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Stay away from the wire wheels!!!
You would be amazed at how many people end up in the ER from those spinning flechette dispensers. I’ve seen those wires stuck in eyes, faces, necks you name it.
Get some 3M 24 grit grinding discs and have at it then any bad grinding marks can be taken out with some 36 grit discs.

Paul,
No safety gear? I've done plenty of wire wheeling with the big grinders and never had a problem. Yes, care is needed but also don't buy the cheap wire wheels from the big box stores that throw their wires! Encapsulated wire brushes work great too. Repeating myself, you won't get the grinding marks out. A light wire brushing and a penetrating primer is all that's needed.

Yup, Gary has the best method - sandblast it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 6:41pm
Not sure of what safety gear was being used. They call I haul.
I know of one incident where the wire entered the cheek just below the safety glasses and went up through the cheek and pierced the eye.OUCH!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Not sure of what safety gear was being used. They call I haul.

had to LOL....

had written on the inside tool cabinet door on my underground truck.."nobody gets hurt"..had to read that everyday everytime I got out a tool..makes one think all the time. I used to drive guys crazy with all the "safety crap"...but "nobody got hurt"

are you in East Tennessee Arklie?

BTW...Haiti was..well..life changing. would never be able to express it in a few words.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 9:04pm
Hope I am not too late with this suggestion. I use a product called Paint-Over-Rust. POR-15. Just knock off the rust flakes, the loose stuff, use Marine Clean then Metal Ready then paint with POR-15. You have to top coat it cause POR does not like UV. it will get chalky.

Not cheap but absolutely PERMANENT. And alot easier than grinding. Check it out. Google it.

por website
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 8:47pm
Thanks, All, for the suggestions. I too think sandblasting is the best option, but finding a capible firm around these parts is highly problematic. I have done more than my fair share of sandblasting, including blasting the entire hull on our houseboat.

I simply went with a knotted wire brush on a big Milwaukee side grinder, a smaller knotted wire brush on a small Milwaukee side grinder and a few brass wire brushes chucked in drill motors to reach into the tighter spots. I have the entire main frame cleaned up and in 1 coat of Rustoleum primer.

I have also have the nose frame prepared for primer as well and also the nose jack.

Pete answered one of my trailer questions. Here is another. Anyone know the purpose of this tab with the large hole it it? It's welded to the bottom of the Starboard trailer frame rail.

I also pulled the leaf springs off the axle and I am considering taking them apart and cleaning up each individual leaf and repainting them as well.

We have had some cold weather (relatively) here the last few days, so on those nights I installed the fuel cell and hooked up the filler hose, fuel line, vent hose, etc. Also installed the exhaust mufflers and exhaust hose between the mufflers and the exhaust port fittings. I got the cradle lagged in properly, will will need to take the bolts back out and CPES the penetrations and reinstall them with 5200. Coming along.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 9:29pm
I would, without question, replace those springs! I've broken more springs than I've had bearing and tire issues combined. You do not want to be replacing a spring on the side of the highway. Quick and easy to do now while it's apart.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 10:00pm
If that tab is on the frame near the axle it could be the mount for the brake line flex hose. Steel line from master cylinder to there,then the hose from there to the axle to a T,then steel line to each brake plate.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 12:31am
Thanks, Gary. I think you are right on. This trailer does not have brakes of any kind. I assume they put the bracket on there in case the trailer was equipped with hydraulic brakes.

I did a lot of power brushing this weekend and painting. Have the trailer pretty much ready for reassembly, excepting cutting the water hose off the guide/centering supports, and repainting them. Will try to carve out some time tomorrow to order new wiring harness and clearance lights, u-bolts, etc. The rims were pretty much rusted beyond what I want to try to recover, so I need to think through replacing them. And the coupler was jackknifed/bent to the point where I want to replace it as well. Thinking about a Bulldog.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 12:39am
Original style wheel/tire packages seem to be widely available and at very reasonable prices.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 10:03am
Arklie,
The trailer is looking great. Take some extra time with the wiring. I like to run the wiring in PVC pipe down the trailer frame. I've seen too many wiring jobs flopping around in the wind going down the highway especially if it's attached with those little clips to the frame that come with the kits. (the clips also scrape the paint and you'll get rust) Then I suggest not using the 3M type insulation displacement connections. Water gets into the wire and the untinned wire corrodes causing problems. There are some great heat shrink adhesive lined crimp connectors and some are rated for multiple wires. The alternate is soldering and then using heat shrink adhesive lined tubing over the connection. I also run a separate ground wire to all the lights. Trailer frame grounds are a problem down the road when the slightest corrosion shows up at grounding points. Trailer grounds are the #1 problem with lighting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 12:14pm
If you don't have one, you should save and clean up one wheel and maybe the best tire for a spare.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:26am
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] Take some extra time with the wiring. I like to run the wiring in PVC pipe down the trailer frame. I've seen too many wiring jobs flopping around in the wind going down the highwayQUOTE]

I do the same with all my trailers. I used PEX cold water tubing and drilled small holes on the bottom for water to drain out[/IMG]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 9:53am
Joel,
Am I looking at some of them?
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Then I suggest not using the 3M type insulation displacement connections. Water gets into the wire and the untinned wire corrodes causing problems.

The trailer looks great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic