Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Dodge Motorhome questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Dodge Motorhome questions
    Posted: May-20-2009 at 11:29am
Hey Correct Craft fans,

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I purchased a motor home built on a 1978 Dodge Sportsman van chassis. Its the perfect compliment to the '76 Martinique. But anyway...I was wondering if there was any wisdom out there that you guys would be willing to share regarding maintaining, troubleshooting, or anything about the engine and transmission in this beasty.

The engine is a 440 CI Mopar RB. The 440-3, I believe, which is the motorhome/marine/industrial specification engine with additional coolant passages in the various castings.

The transmission is a 3-speed Torqueflite A727.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony
favorite computer wisdom: net helpmsg 4006
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 1:01pm
You bringing it to GL in July ?
My suggestion is to keep it covered when not in use. Either with carport or softcover from CampingWorld.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2009 at 10:33am
The 440 has a fordged crank and the 727 trans is a good one. It may have 4 pinion planitary gears in it. (very stout)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2009 at 10:40am
Unfortunately I'm not going to make it to Green Lake. We're going to stay around Georgia until I get more confident in my RVing skills.
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2009 at 10:58am
You're about an hour and a half from us. Maybe that would be about right for a shakedown run?

There isn't a campground close to us, but you could park in the driveway and have your boat docked 3 minutes down the hill.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2009 at 11:06am
Greg,

We camped at Bald Ridge Campground for the "hey we bought this thing we better start using it" camping it trip over Mother's day weekend. My wife talked me out of bringing the boat that weekend. ("It's gonna rain and storm and be so nasty...") Truth was she didn't want to pull it, and I was afraid I was going to blow another tire on the trailer. I did think to myself that weekend, "Wonder if that BuffalloBFN will be out here skiing."

The motor home itself in pretty good shape. I just need to gather more confidence that I know what I'm doing.
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2009 at 11:37am
Tell us a little more about the motorhome, class A , class C, length,etc.

Best advice I could give you is to insure it with Camping World (GMAC) and buy the road protection. Costs me $7/month and covers a tow to the nearest RV repair shop if I break down for any reason, ie: flat tire, out of gas, anything at all. I've changed tires on my class A before but I wouldn't want to do it on the side of the highway. I only insure my rig for 6 months out of the year so for $56 it's worth the peace of mind to me.

I also tow my boat everywhere I go and it's a piece of cake. Just relax and drive, give yourself plenty of stopping room and you can't be in a hurry (Your supposed to be on vacation anyway right). Other neat device is a backup camera, good for highway driving, changing lanes, backing into campsites and impressing people when launching the boat(Looking straight ahead and backing down the ramp ...WOW thats guys good)

almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2009 at 11:50am
It's a 1978 Brougham M-230 class C. It's been variously quoted at 21', 23' 24' and 27'. I've got it insured on my auto policy through GEICO. They charge me $73 per 6 months for their "full coverage" including roadside assistance.

A backup camera system is definitely on my upgrade list.

It's got a tow hitch, and I've been highly considering using it as the tow vehicle for the boat on any trips.
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2009 at 11:53am
Our neighbors were thrilled...
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2009 at 12:08pm
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2009 at 12:34pm
Hey! Is this the official CCF Motorhome thread??

almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2009 at 12:49pm
It must be.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

Hopefully some more Old Mopar RV wisdom will make its way to this thread. I'm really new to the RV'ing scene, and appreciate any help I can get.

'76 Martinique PCM 351W
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2009 at 2:46pm
Anthony,

This is a great site for all things to do with RVs:
RV.net

Also,
ThisOldRv
has a good "Dodge" section.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2009 at 1:15am
Park it about an hour away from your house, its a good place to clear your mind for the weekend.
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2009 at 1:21am
Hey Aaln: Nice lookin' crew you have there launching your boat. Is that great lookin' lady on the cell phone calling for instructions for the boat launch boy?

eric..if your still on here..did you hear from my son yet?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2009 at 11:41am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Hey Aaln: Nice lookin' crew you have there launching your boat. Is that great lookin' lady on the cell phone calling for instructions for the boat launch boy?

I think she's calling the police John, that guy in the back kept loading everyones boats. He was sorta like a dog, feed him once and they never go away. Although in his case it was Coors light!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2009 at 11:43am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Park it about an hour away from your house, its a good place to clear your mind for the weekend.

Very true, We went to Hollywoods spring party a few weeks ago and parked it in his back yard. Nothing like stumbling from the party right into your bed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2009 at 11:59am
Anthony, regarding your new purchase. The chassis part of your rig is really nothing more than a big van so do the maintenance like you would any of your other vehicles. Change the oil, tune it up, most important is to check the air pressure in the tires and do not overlook the condition of the tires.

Many RV tires look like they have plenty of tread left on them but they can be aged out meaning if they are older than 7 years they may be sun damaged and start cracking on you. If so they need to be replaced no matter how good they look. Do you have air bags in the rear? If so play around with the air pressure in them until the RV rides and drives it's best.

Hopefully the rig steers ok for you, I don't know about the smaller class C but a Class A can be a handful if the bags and tires are not pressured up correctly. Also, when loading your gear put the heavy stuff low and centered and the light stuff high. If possible travel with empty water tanks and fill up when you get to your destination.

You should have a propane sniffer in there, make sure it's working. Install a co2 detector and smoke alarm, $20 worth of protection from a faulty old furnace or worse yet a refridgerator fire. When possible run the fridg on AC instead of gas. Turn your water heater off when your not using it, the water stays hot for hours and will refresh pretty quickly.

Not sure what kind of roof you have up there but it's always a good idea to go up and take a look for any signs of leaks and caulk with the proper sealant.

Gas mileage trick is to drive like you've got an egg on the gas pedal, nice and easy. I use the cruise as much as possible. Enjoy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2009 at 12:06pm
After taking another look at your rig you've got a lot of overhang behind the rear wheels try not to load much back there as it will transfer weight off the front axle to the rear and the rig will wander all over the place on the highway. You will have to experiment with loading it up to get it to drive the best. I have the magic numbers for mine for tire pressure and air bag pressure front and rear and if I load correctly I can one hand it down the road...I've also been worn out after just one hour sawing on the wheel to keep the darn thing straight when I don't have it balanced right.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2009 at 12:57pm
I think I made 2 kids in mine
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 2:47am
sure hope they look like the wife...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 10:37am
nope, been told they look more like me.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 12:01am
poor kids...to bad for them.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 10:37am
Anthony, Bald Ridge is as far south as a boat can go on Lanier. I'm on Little River...about as far north as a V-hull inboard can go on Lanier. It's a 30 minute ride at cruise from there to here.

Give a heads up next time yall drive up.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 10:51am
I have the young lad in training already, i dont want him to be shy later on in life....momma gets mad though
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic