NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UK’s 78 SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2009 at 11:36am
Roger - I think you are onto something - waterproof foam!     It satifies both sides of the foam/no foam discussion (although what will we argue about next year?)    You should patent this.      Maybe there is a way to seal the seam using a process similar to the food-saver storage bag sealers? Maybe the foam could just be painted with bed liner or similar waterproof emulsion.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2009 at 12:56pm
I love your thoughts but you will never create "waterproof" foam. The idea would be to give the water a place to go. Place 1" foam insulation board in the bottom of each cavity prior to foaming, then foam as above. Pull the foam out in its baggie. Remove the foam insulation board and replace with glassed in 1" ribs running with the slope of the hull toward the bilge. (or even corrugated fiberglass roofing) Lots of lateral drainage holes in the stringers to make sure the water gets out. If the water cannot stay in contact with the foam, I suspect the foam would never adsorb much of it.

form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2009 at 1:46pm
Correct crafts have a large amount of foam in the upper cap that never even touches water in sinking conditions.I would be willing to bet you can take the foam out of the floor and still not sink the boat.

Of course if you think about it air is more bouyant than foam and creating a trapping system in the hull is the most effective solution.
Does anybody know how they build the new boats?
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2009 at 2:24pm
Thanks Chris now that's an idea to paint something over it could you treat it like wood and coat it with CPES and Epoxy that should seal it all up and now built in drainage by Gary along with Ryans's air pockets too, how about saving your plastic bottles with caps put them in with the foam so less foam to take up water no gaps between the bottles and you save on foam cost too as you use less, the collective brain is kicking in we will soon have it all worked out
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2009 at 4:23pm
Or you could cap a series of tubes and fill in the blank spaces with foam.Then seal the whole package.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2009 at 7:38pm
Keep the ideas coming... We might be up to something!
Revolutionize the boating industry...
We had all our cheap handles and flag poles we use in the show team filled up with foam and sealed afterwards to make them buoyant... A series of these foam filled tubes (f&f's idea) isn't all that far fetched.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2009 at 7:39pm
Ryan tubes would do the job, maybe the flexi type that can bend back and forth so only 2 ends to block off then fill with foam in the Pvc and wrap for a sheet floor or coat for a lay up floor, looking good.

Just did the weight of the block after 24 hours in water and looks like the skin on foam is much better at stopping water soaking in now @ 193.4g think some of the gain is due to loss of the skin when I took it out the mould if you look a picture you can see.

At the moment its added by 2.4g   (0.084657)oz now back in the water,next weight after a week.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2009 at 9:48pm
Epoxy is not hydroscopic.Just build some tubes out of epoxy and leave them full of air caping both ends.Then build a bracing system that holds all the tubes in the hull.You could do some tests to see how bouyant the factory foam volume is then calculate the tubing volume.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2009 at 9:22am
Ryan that's a good call on the old foam as you said I still have some up under the bow, will try and cut some out with the skin on to test how much it soaks up and buoyancy, as for epoxy tubes yes would work too, brings us full circle as I have the 2 epoxy ballast tanks, if I get the pluming right will work as buoyancy when not in use, as for how much buoyancy they make will need to try and work out, now you got me scratching my head.

If others know how here are some stats each      Tank weight dry             35 lb
                                                                       Tank full of water           201 lb
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2009 at 11:50am
The foam skinning on the inside surface of a enclosed area is one of the reasons I've mentioned foam injection over pouring several times. If you must foam and don't want to go to the extremes of some kind of auxiliary tubes, I feel a epoxy stringer job, a epoxy coating of all inside surfaces and injection will give you the best possible resistance to moisture absorption.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2009 at 12:17pm
This is what I have found so far with my 78 SN using the numbers on a standard boat just the hull should be around 553.2 lb just unsure if the weight given in reference include platform and back seat? if not need to add back onto hull weight, feel free to add of amend would be great to get actual weight of an complete engine and drive as the one I have is off the net and my scales won't go that high.

UK's 78 SN          weight lb
Ref boat weight 2100 lb          
350 engine and drive 1:23:1          950 lb
Wood stringers Dug                  136 lb
Ply wood                          40 lb
Fiber glass stringers                  241.5 lb
Ballast tanks                         70 lb
Foam used new type                  3.368 lb/3
Vortec heads complete 2 off          86.20 lb
Strut                                  3.8 lb
Prop and shaft                          16.1 lb
Pylon                                  21.3 lb
Rudder & port                          21.4 lb
Floor seat mounts                  5.6 lb
Platform brackets                   7 lb
Front lifting ring set & pull          6.4 lb
Back lifting ring set                  4.6 lb
Exhaust ports                         3.16 lb
Exhaust silencers & pipes          29.6 lb
Back floor ply and tank support          26.4 lb
Extract fan and pipe                  1.6 lb
Side pockets in ply and wood 2 off     38.4 lb
Fuel separator                          1.8 lb
Battery 110 amp                  61.2 lb
Driver seat                          23.6 lb
Passengers seat                          29.6 lb
Back seat covers                  13.6 lb
Dog house with extinguisher          72 lb
PCM 1.23.1 dry                          68 lb
Velvet Drive dry ish                  95 lb
Engine mounts 4 off Chevy          48 lb
Engine mounts 4 off Ford          51.6 lb
My Guess on all wire and cables          15 lb
My Guess on helm, gages, throttle     21 lb
Back seat frame                   18.2 lb
Gas Tank                         20.8 lb
Teak platform                          18.6 lb
Windscreen                          34.2 lb
Ski mirror                          3 lb
Air guides and mount panel          3.6 lb
Steering wheel 14in                  4.6 lb
Tracking fins 2off                  8.2 lb
Edelbrock manifolds 2off          25.2 lb
My guess on all scews,rubber bump          
rail,log,ally trim & fittings          32 lb
Carpet                                   16.6 lb
Standard Hull with stringers works out           
at                                   553.2 lb

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2009 at 12:26pm
98lbs on the Velvet, lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2009 at 7:39pm
Here are my findings on the foams.

Foam with a cut face 2 wk underwater   now 61.7g   has 15g of water soaked in.

Foam block with skin 1 wk underwater now 196.9g has 5.9g of water soaked in.

Foam like pool noodles 1 wk underwater now 14.2    has 3.2g of water.

Thanks Eric will update my spred sheet now back to my specific gravity tables.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 6:09pm
As Ryan suggested have cut some original foam off the under side of the bow to see how
much it will soak up .

Dry 42.7 g after the first 24 hours under water now 61.7g

Some other picture for ref

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 1:14pm
Done my attempt on working out floatation on a 70s SN came up with 20 cubic feet of the foam I'm using, think it would be around the same for a Ford boat
Interesting to find how much flotation there is built in the boat, wood stringer system is worth 115.85 lb and the total for the boat without foam 219.92lb
I have tried to post my excel spread sheet with no joy so put it in word still no luck! if someone know how to please let me know and will post and Easy on the red pen all you engineers out there.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 3:46pm
I still think a correct craft will float without the floor foam.
Just need to find someone willing to sink there boat
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 4:09pm
Someone already tried.......... but not a scientific study!!

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 3:53pm
Well I think I'm there now you just need to pick what you have on your boat to work out flotation.

Easy on the red pen guys
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 11:46am
Did these a year or so ago, may be of help to others and could help keep the average age of boats here down

Sorry but sizes are mm

Sizes taken off my old stringers at the wide side of each,always check your ones are the same if you use the above drawings on your project.

Have Cad file if you need to print full size for template.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 3:32pm
Update on my foam in water tests.

New type foam dry 46.7g with a cut face 3 wk underwater now 66.1g has 19.4g of water soaked in.

New type foam block 6x6x6in with skin dry 191g 2 wk underwater now 199.5g has 8.5g of water soaked in.

Foam like pool noodles dry 11g 2 wk underwater now 15.9g has 4.9g of water soaked in.

Original Foam dry 42.7g 1 wk underwater now 88.2g has 45.50g of water soaked in.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 3:36pm
WOW! That original foam took on some serious numbers! What a cool project!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 5:51pm
So there is no such thing as waterproof foam. Great data!

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 9:04pm
Roger, excellent source of information, more reasons to solidify the foam issue, and its one of those issues that is mandated by the powers to be but the end result is not positive. to date we have one positive reason for foam and that is flotation, but you took on the task and once again turned the issue into another negative. Foam is put in these boats to satisfy the USCG, but with extensive testing and time we can see the many negatives of the foam, you really have to sit down and reason why or why not you would want to re-foam your boat if you plan an extensive rebuild on it. the foam does provide short term flotation, but after time does it become a safety issue and possibly weigh the boat down and increase the chance of it sinking with the saturation of water and being a catylyst for rot does this create safety issues?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 10:51pm
I think they put foam in these boats to save cost on stringer and hull materials.All they have to do is make a paper thin hull with a few pieces of wood in it and shoot the foam to it.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 6:43am
Thanks Chris,Chris,Eric,Ryan a few things have crossed my mind with this little test, if you look at the top of the foam block its sunk quite a bit, its been in cold water and that may of effected it ! also those of us in the cold parts of the world could the freezing of water in the new and old foam brake down the closed cells each year so in the spring the foam is ready to soak up more water?
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2009 at 3:52pm
Update on my foam in water tests

New type foam dry 46.7g with a cut face 4 wk underwater now 69.1g has 22.4g of water soaked in and is up this week.

New type foam block 6x6x6in with skin dry 191g 3 wk underwater now 199.5g has 8.5g of water soaked in and no change for a week.

Foam like pool noodles dry 11g 3 wk underwater now 15.9g has 4.9g of water soaked in and no change for a week.

Original Foam dry 42.7g 2 wk underwater now 91.9g has 49.20g of water soaked in and is up this week.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2009 at 6:09pm
So:
New foam cut approx 50% weight gain
New foam uncut 4% gain
Noodles 50% gain
Original (I assume open cell) 100%+ gain

I know which one I would use!
Interesting thought about freezing.

I wonder if freezing for an extended period would dry the foam back out - you know how old ice shrinks from solid evaporation? (or whatever the phenomena is called). Maye one of the Northwoods guys might have to set up that part of the test! Okie - got any old foam leftover?

Ben Franklin
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2009 at 12:43pm
Thanks Chris for taking the time to work out the % and your right the old foam is open cell will keep the tests running until they all stop taking on water.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2009 at 1:06pm
If i may chime in her after numerous test and still many other mitagating factors left to resolve, cold ,heat ,freezing , why not just eliminate the foam ?. like Erick said the boat companys do it because its mandated by the USCG. most of have enough life vest and ski vest to keep our boats afloat.
davee40
lakeland,fl
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2009 at 1:52pm
you also have to take into account on the mandate that it is all 22 ft and under boats no matter what type of water the boat sees, typically a ski boat has the advantage of flat water and not open ocean, the boat is for waterskiing so that means most on board should be pretty damn good swimmers. the USCG also requires flotation (life vests) on the boat, and most of the time the boats are on smaller lakes with other boats in the same area. boats are replaceble. with air tight pockets the boat will float for a few hours.....now if you were out in the middle of the ocean those few hours would make a difference..on a private lake or river help is within a half hour i would hope
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
  Share Topic