Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine in my Martinique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
woodyboard1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyboard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine in my Martinique
    Posted: May-06-2009 at 5:09am
Hey everyone, I am new to this group, but my love for my Martinique is bigtime. I had a question, I bought the boat back in 2001..and I know there is alot of hours on the motor. It is still run OK but every spring it is a little rougher to get going. What is the best remedy for this. A rebuild, a new motor (short block) using my old top end...or can I get a newer motor and retrofit? I own a 1980 Martinique with a PCM 454. I love my power I get form my motor, but sometimes I hate the Carb....If I rebuild can I retrofit fuel injection? or should I just take the block to a machine shop rework and clean the block and rebuild? Any help would be appreciated.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2009 at 5:43am
when was the las time you had a complete tune up done to the engine?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2009 at 11:00am
Woody - Retrofitting FI would be a huge PITA. Carbs are simple & worst case you buy a new one for $600 & are good to go for 10 years.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2009 at 11:46am
sounds like it's time for a carb re-new kit aka rebuild, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and a mallory E-spark conversion kit too.

basicly an old fashioned tune-up.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2009 at 12:36pm
I also seriously doubt you need a rebuild.

A hot ignition and a clean, properly adjusted carb is all you need. and clean fuel.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
woodyboard1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyboard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 2:42am
Hey everybody, thanks for all the input. First off, I think I did not express the original email right. The engine is still running (technically it has not run in 3 years because the boat has been in my garage...new born baby..I am now ready to get back on the lake) I am thinking forward because at some point I have to address the power plant issue, the boat had a ton of hours on it when I got it...and I put a ton more on it!. When I got the boat the first thing I did was replace the old school distributor with electronic (have not had a bit of problems with it in the last 6 years) I also put a new Holly 4 barrel marine carb on the motor. My question was more of what is going to happen when I suddenly need to repower! Use original block? Get a short block and build before hand...??? I have slowly been restoring my Martinique as a custom for several years and would love to have the motor detailed.....if I rebuild say during a winter season I could detail the motor very nice....Someone told me recently that the 454 block I have is very desirable...Should I rebuild with that or just buy a short block? I am confused...since we are talking marine....
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 3:05am
I'd open it up and see how's inside, then you can freshen it up with new bearings and rings.

is it burning any amount of oil?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 1:43pm
well it's a reverse rotation engine and I would say if you rebuilt the carb, it's going to be gummed up from sitting unless it was ran dry then you should be fine, but the engine might have more hours left than you think. But the Cam is the hard piece to that engine now if it was a standard rotation engine then there are lots of options but it's not. But rebuild what you have is what I would recommend.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic