NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

point of no return

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: point of no return
    Posted: April-26-2009 at 2:59am
well I started tearing the floor appart, grinder in hands I cutted a few holes in different areas... All I mean al the places I opened, the foam was wet, all wet...star stringer en engine mounts chiips of rot wood...
pics

starboar stringer completely rot

wood under drivers seat also wet and rot in some places...

some work on the manifolds
before...

after

port stringer...wet and delaminating

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2009 at 3:44am
Good luck . You have a large project ahead of you.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2009 at 11:32am
and to think that it all happened in the last 3 months, always gotta jab the foam issue
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 4:07pm
a sample ..rot...

boat engineless
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 4:43pm
Lots of fun! You might as well get the pylon and drive shaft out of the way. I tripped over mine for a while and should have pulled them out first thing.

Good luck and keep the pics coming! Makes me feel better. You know, misery loves company!
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 5:13pm
I do not think that you will have a need for that ski handle laying on the floor for some time. You might want to hang it up somewhere in the garage to get it out of your way. No since tripping on that too....
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 6:49pm
Actually I won´t be doing the job.. I do think I´m skilled and can handle it with this site members help but I don´t have the time nor the space available to come along with such quest.
I will send it to a marina that will do the floors, the recarpeting, hull minor things, buff, polish, reseal all the rubrail (as water is coming from the dack to hull union)for 2k....sounds right for me..labour here is a little cheaper than in the us... material are same cost or higher sometimes...CPES no clue here....
Not sure if to refoam or not....
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

I will send it to a marina that will do the floors, the recarpeting, hull minor things, buff, polish, reseal all the rubrail (as water is coming from the dack to hull union)for 2k....sounds right for me..labour here is a little cheaper than in the us... material are same cost or higher sometimes...CPES no clue here....
Not sure if to refoam or not....

Unless the marina is working for 5 cents an hour, I would be extremely scared of the quality job you would get for $2k. Just the proper materials alone would cost about that!

You definitely have to refoam that boat unless you add a lot of extra support ribs- the hull is thinner and has more distance between the stringers on the newer boats.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 7:24pm
actually labor is 4 bucks and hour...I know its sound cheap but here 1 buck is almost 4 pesos (local currency) and so the job its like 8k that for us Its lots of money...(a regular worker earns 1500-2000 pesos).
The idea is to put extra ribs perpendicular to the stringers... then ply wood over them and the stringers (wood with one layer of mat in the down side) and 3 to 4 layer up... I will be looking after them to check all things are done...the guy is a boat builder (and for I saw his work are good quality)...anyway I can go with the foam...
Regarding resins they use isoftalics or some like that poly...no epoxy nor vynil...here..
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 11:10pm
tim where did you order you carpet and how many square feet did all the boat required...I'm will check here what kind of carpet i find but i'm considering buying it there and have it shipped along with the engine parts.....I will do all the carpeting floor and walls...
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 11:31pm
Kapla if you are not going to re-foam have you thought of sub floor ballast.

I think you mainly wakeboard if so how much better would it be not having those water bags in the boat?

If I ever have to redo my stringers . The plan was to use the area from about the rear of the drivers seat back as a sealed ballast area. Forward of that was going to have it all draining back to the bilge.

I dont know if you can get Coosa like Joe used in Argentina. If you can that would be the best way to go for the ballast areas.
If not you could use CPES treated ply with epoxy fibreglass shell.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 11:40pm
yes I though of it but I could only put about 300 pounds on each side.... so I still need to fill some bags....actually i'm putting 3 600 lb bags...1 on each side and one on the back......but now that I think I will loose about 300 extra pound due to the wet foam I'm removing...... damn I will need more ballast
at least with the xtra horse power i'm adding I will be able to handle all the extra ballast....
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 11:45pm
other concern is the secondary stringer would be in the middle of the ballast area... and the structural issue....I guess adding extra glass to the hull to thikend it would do it but hey I don't really know how it would turn out...
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 1:57am
Kapla, no need for underfloor ballast, as you have pointed it's just a little you can put down below.

I'd try to avoid refoaming.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 2:12am
yeap..that the idea but I'm concern not only on the structural issues but also on the ride comfort water noise ...foam acts as sound deadener...It would kill me to go all the way and then feel like i'm driving a chessy bermuda caribean (local most popular boat)
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 2:15am
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

I do not think that you will have a need for that ski handle laying on the floor for some time. You might want to hang it up somewhere in the garage to get it out of your way. No since tripping on that too....

its a barefoot handle though...that finally couldn't use yet..still was learning grabbed to the boom....
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 2:20am
On this boats you dont hear most of the rattle because of the engine rumble!!!

with a good structure, this boats are still so heavy they dont shake.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 3:03am
still around here lucho!!!
heheh
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 12:41pm

Regarding resins they use isoftalics or some like that poly...no epoxy nor vynil...here..

Seb, considering your boat was built with epoxy resin (CC switched to AME4000 in 1989), I think it would be a BIG mistake to rebuild it with poly... or anything but epoxy for that matter.

I ordered my carpet directly from CC, as I went with a newer style (97-03ish) gunmetal color in 28oz. If youre not changing the carpet on the motorbox, Id stick with something closer to original so it matches- try to find it local or send away for samples.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Seb, considering your boat was built with epoxy resin (CC switched to AME4000 in 1989), I think it would be a BIG mistake to rebuild it with poly... or anything but epoxy for that matter.

I ordered my carpet directly from CC, as I went with a newer style (97-03ish) gunmetal color in 28oz. If youre not changing the carpet on the motorbox, Id stick with something closer to original so it matches- try to find it local or send away for samples.

I´ll go with the epoxy issue...
and see how it turns out...
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I was curious to see what the current boats were made with when I was shopping for resin. CC is calling the construction "AME Epoxy Vinyl Ester" in the current brochure. Doesn't that just refer to what is being called Vinyl Ester elsewhere?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 4:28pm
Youre correct- I just looked it up and AME4000 is a vinylester resin. I suppose vinyl would be ok to use- but Id still choose epoxy and would definitely avoid polyester.
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 12:32am
How would anyone know to check for soaked foam and or rotted stringers? What are some symptoms that would make someone check? Thanks - Greg
96 SN
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 1:01am
Cracks in the Gell along the Hull.
Soft spots in the floor.
Anything older than 1993.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 1:15am
and bolts that wont screw to the floor

well I spoke to this guy to do the job in epoxy, his is going to check with his supplier and eventually make a new quote...I told him about the constrcution of my boat and agreed poly wouldn't be ok...
newoldboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 1:26am
Good luck with the boat builder. Like you said I would deffinitly double check his work. I strongly agree with the other guys when they say to stick with epoxy resin. I don't know if it would be worth the shipping but US Composite's pricing is the lowest I've ever seen, especially if you buy in bulk. Your foam is just as wet as mine was when I cut the floor open. It seems you have decent mechanical skills because you were able to remove the engine yourself. If you have basic woodworking skills and some time to learn you may want to attempt the job yourself and let the marina take care of your carpet, hull, and gelcoat. Everyone here is more than willing to help you with tips and advice on doing the job correctly. This is just a suggestion though, most of us have enough money in the materials that we couldn't imagine paying someone else to do the work. I may be limited on cash but labor is real cheap when you are the one sweating. Good luck!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 1:39am
Originally posted by newoldboat newoldboat wrote:

Good luck with the boat builder. Like you said I would deffinitly double check his work. I strongly agree with the other guys when they say to stick with epoxy resin. I don't know if it would be worth the shipping but US Composite's pricing is the lowest I've ever seen, especially if you buy in bulk. Your foam is just as wet as mine was when I cut the floor open. It seems you have decent mechanical skills because you were able to remove the engine yourself. If you have basic woodworking skills and some time to learn you may want to attempt the job yourself and let the marina take care of your carpet, hull, and gelcoat. Everyone here is more than willing to help you with tips and advice on doing the job correctly. This is just a suggestion though, most of us have enough money in the materials that we couldn't imagine paying someone else to do the work. I may be limited on cash but labor is real cheap when you are the one sweating. Good luck!

wish I could do the job and save some cash on labor but as i said before no time to soend on the boat, I have enough between the job, the 2 little kids and also keeping the wife happy regarding my mechanical skills I did the removal mostly with the help of my friend that rides with me and happens to be a mechanic..he will help me with the engine.
But my skills have been progressing quite a lot in the last year and mostly from the help you guys give.

I also post on an corvette forum as I own a 73, and people there is also good on help.

So I have mixed heart, ford in the water and chevy on the road...Though my daily drivers are fords
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 1:58am
C/C's and Corvettes gotta be pretty rare down there.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 2:04am
I consider my self a lucky guy for havings this mean v-8 fuel starvers down here..you gotta love them, specially that roar impossible to match it.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 2:05am
defenilety both mi cc/ and vette are a real head turners down here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic