NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damper Plate Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

MN - Another trick is to loosen up the mount adjustments while the tranny is up on the bench. It's much easier to break them loose there. I did not do this but wish I had. Breaking them loose in between the stringers was not fun.

Matt,
Did you take Chris's advice?

The pinch clamps for the side to side will rust up pretty solid!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mndanielsncsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 8:18pm
Yeah, I loosened them up. I actually spoke to Eric and he walked me through everything. I needed to knock the tapered bolts loose with a dead-blow hammer to get it to move. I had taken the nut off the pinch clamp, but hadn't popped the bolt completely loose.

Everything is back together. I still have a rattle and spoke to Eric about that. I'm going to drop it in the water sometime this week or next weekend and see if it gets any better. He said that it may just be the planetary gear making noise, but there may not be an issue.

Thanks again guys for all of the advice and thanks Eric for talking me through things on your day off.
mndanielsncsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 7:06pm
Just a final update... Got everything reassembled, but still had a rattle when I ran it in the driveway. Eric recommended that I check timing and tune it up, which I did.

Replaced spark plugs, wires, adjusted timing at idle, and aligned . Dropped it in today and gave it the first run of the season and to my surprise, it ran amazingly well... rattle was gone.

I did learn that I need a new steering cable, because my steering got much tighter over the winter. I unhooked the cable at the rudder and was able to turn the rudder easily, confirming it needed replacement. Ordered a new one from White Lake yesterday.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 8:07pm
a side note: when installing a new damper and testing in the drive, do not get shaken, at times you need a load on the prop so the real test is dropping it in the water to load it. they will rattle in the drive, I was so worried i couldnt sleep last night lol, good to hear you got it together and ran it
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic