NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct Craft today

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 9:37pm
I think that a new version of the 2001 model is more marketable than any of the classics.

It's a more modern hull with proven reputation for all disciplines, yet it's small and simple.
220nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 9:47pm
Unfortunately, I think CC has moved in the wrong direction including wake boarding boats. Any competition besides the masters or one that is hosted by Nautique uses Mastercraft now. I think CC got too comfortable with there product while other brands (Mastercraft and Malibu) busted their asses to offer a competitive product. I think offering a low cost product is a good idea but for now CC needs to focus advertising and marketing what they make.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 9:55pm
My friend bought a brand new 08 Malibu V-ride, and it's a very nice good boat, very well fitted and detailed but in my opinion his 95' 195 Ski Nautique was a better built boat.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

I have a foot in each half of this debate, kind of like the way I'll drool the same volume over a 2009 911 and a 1961 MGA.

You'll have to pry my Classic from my rigor mortis crippled hands when the day comes, however I am tire kicking for a late model used 210/220. I won't give up the soul of the classics, but I need the utility, space and function of a newer boat.

In regards to a lower priced boat or standard editions, I really question what the demand would be for this offering. As I've been watching the market, I rarely come across a 210 or a 220 limited. Almost everything is a Team with extras. From what I've seen, I'd be surprised if the Limiteds make up more than 20% of sales.

I've also chawed on the thought of a new, reissued Classic/Cuda/BFN etc. You'd be hard pressed to put one on a floor for less than $25K. Like Tim said, $30K is probably more realistic. Is there really a market for such a boat? If so, how many per year? Would you rather have this new boat or a very nice 2003 210? For me, right now, I'd choose the 210.

Well said.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Nautiquehunter,

Occassionally things pop up on here like the garbage boat pic. That happens on every boat site at some point. This is a great group of guys , don't take it too seriously.

P.S. I want a pull behind your new boat

Mike

I am not taking it too seriously Just thought I would take a shot at some bad mannered posts.
As for a pull on my new boat all of you are welcome anytime. The same passion you all have for the sport will make disagreements like this more heated. I like all boats but I prefer Nautique. I also still have my 89 Supra I have owned it since new and just cant give it up. I do know how you guys feel about your classic boats.      
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 10:56pm

...For starters,with todays standards,it most likely would have to be quiet..
Mike

Hells bells, Mikey, you of all folk should know that could be easily remedied, especially if a little forethought during design made <cough> allowances <ahem> for the aftermarket.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 10:59pm
Back in 2003 when I bought a new boat, I would have jumped at the chance to by a new 66 Barracuda or the like, but now I'd feel like I was cheating.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I got to wonder though, what if they took an old Mustang or Ski Tique mold, if they still have them, and made a basic 16' Mustang with a 235 hp 4.3. Why couldn't you make a boat like that and price it under $20k?

Bruce, if the old molds exist and are useable, and you are a major manufacturer that already has the infrastructure, you might be able to pop one off and sell it for $20K. As MadTown said, your costs would have to be around $10K to make it work.

Now you need to consider the ancillary costs. There will be re-engineering for modern power, safety and controls. USCG certification. Marketing. Product liability insurance.

Now factor in volume. Can you sell 25 to 50 a year? Are these new sales or are they parasitic, meaning you just lost out on the sale of a 196 at $35K? Might not be worth it if you need sell 2500 boats a year.

Can a independent shop do it on a custom basis? Now you need to make molds, create an infrastructure, raise capital, source parts and materials, find distribution/dealerships, market from scratch on top of every thing else the established manufacturer would have to do. I'd guess you'd be into it for $250K before you sold your first boat. That is quiet a gamble.

That said, Donzi still sells the Sweet 16 and 18. But they sure as hell are not $20K...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 11:31pm
Steve, I guess nothings ever simple. Back in the 90's there seemed to be a couple start up companies making low priced boats, and Correct Craft did try it, as well as Malibu. No ones doing it now, so I guess that says it all. I think Gekko was bought out or folded recently and they had a $20k boat just last year.

I guess what it comes down to is in a good economy, $50k doesn't seem like a lot of money. In a poor economy, it is a S load of money. Either way, if you can't go first class, you got to stay home.

About 8-10 years ago I think Donzi was selling a Sweet 16 for about $15k with a V6.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 11:40pm
I am sure nautique has thought of some of these things. They have to make sure that the sales of a new product don't hurt their existing products (self cannibalization). I don't think they should reproduce old boats, that is what makes all the vintage boats on this website so cool, they are hard to get. Everyone on this website knows they are driving the best boat. CC needs to find a way to let other people out there know that Nautique is the best investment when purchasing a new boat. Nautiques have better upholstery, stronger engines, the BEST resale value. I think CC needs to tell people these things. I know they just came out with a training program for the staff in Orlando. I think a training program for dealers would help too. At a good note I just read that nautiques market share has grown in the last month and they also sold a lot more tow boats than any other company last month. While they have had a hard time with the current economy they are not struggling as much as others in the boating world.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 11:43pm
Here's what I have seen before with a family owned,local boat builder. Switzer Boats had been in the area for many years building quality ,fast outboard, and I/O boats like these-original Switzer boat They then in the '80s or early '90s sold the company,and it was moved to another area. The company than started making these-newer Switzers and went national, my Dad remembers seeing them at the Miami boat show. Just another go fast boat competing with the likes of Donzi or Fountain.They went along for a few years then disappeared. As I understand it,one of the brothers still builds boats in Florida,and the other restores the models he used to build right here in Crystal Lake, in part of the old factory. I for one will never buy a new Correct Craft, but I hate to see something bad happen to a once proud company in the name of profit. We've seen it all before-AT&T,Marshall Field,Banana Republic etc.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:28am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

...For starters,with todays standards,it most likely would have to be quiet..
Mike

Hells bells, Mikey, you of all folk should know that could be easily remedied, especially if a little forethought during design made <cough> allowances <ahem> for the aftermarket.

Hehehe.......get some!

Your points about remaking a classic are very valid Steve. You would have to sell a lot of them before it would start to be profitable. I personally hope that CC never brings back the old 210 hull. That hull will go down as one of the great legends of the company's existance. All in due time,of course!

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:50am
Its great to see the old classics being restored and shown just shows how well made they were.Like classic cars or airplanes its interesting to see the evolution of the sport. As things have changed I have watched different models for specific water sports. I bought my new 210 to wake surf and slalom ski
and maybe wake board too. Alot has changed since 89 I never thought I would need to buy a new boat again. It wasn't so long ago ski boats were made not to make wakes now they are made to make them larger. I certainly respect the past and look forward to the future. Its nice they are both represented here.
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:55am
As another aside to this discussion on the current state of CC. I went to the Madison boat show last weekend. It is not a huge show, but decent. It had representation from most other major names but oddly no correct crafts.

There is a local dealer in Madison and a few others within 60-80 miles, but still no representation. I found it very odd to say the least. Keep in mind that Madison is literally built on an Isthmus between 2 big lakes (w/ large boating communities).

I don't know much about the Madison dealer, and their lack of show did not provide any reason for me to find out anymore about them. So far I have not met a reputable CC dealer in my area. Sheisty mechanics, poor customer service, no assistance in finding parts. (Luckily thanks to this forum I learn tons...) The CC dealer scheme is definately broken in my neck of the woods and you can tell by just looking on the lakes each summer that they are not winning any new buyers here (or at least not a very big market share).
livin', lovin', lovin' livin'
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 1:07am
Originally posted by MADTOWN78 MADTOWN78 wrote:

As another aside to this discussion on the current state of CC. I went to the Madison boat show last weekend. It is not a huge show, but decent. It had representation from most other major names but oddly no correct crafts.

Sounds like Alabama. They have a good product but don't advertise it.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 1:34am
I think the CC leadership is banking on boating becoming a rich man's game down the road (when fuel prices go back up). . . so that's the market to go after. Probably a good strategy, keep it a status symbol, like Cadillac.

I talked to our local CC dealer last weekend at our show & he said he was still selling a few - there are guys out there with money.

Whatever they do, I just hope they keep doing it in the good 'ol USA!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:00am
Tim. I would love to have one of those 17'6"s they are cool as hell but they in no way are a family boat.(I dig the monocromatic white) They are tiny and ment for one reason, Slalom. The 211 as a stripper I think would be more sucessfull because it is much lager and family friendly and is a better multipuropse boat.

Anyways I would say if they were to bring back a classic, the 2001 would be the most versital. All of the other older boats are just to small for what people think of as a family boat today. All the runabouts are usually pretty huge and the wakeboard boats are like small ships. the 235 horse 6 cylinder would move a 2001 hull along just fine (mines only 240).

Im not really a fan of bringing back the classic because its a legend like 210 said. Maybe a newer design a 2002 hull or something. A legend reborn. haha. That would cost to much for a new hull design. With their cashflow status they just have to work with what they have.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 11:10am
   I was told that the new 211 is the price point boat for CC. Basically comes stripped and is not available at all with some of the options it used to have. I wonder what the price on one of those is.It does still come w/ a tower

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 11:40am
Originally posted by MADTOWN78 MADTOWN78 wrote:

I went to the Madison boat show last weekend. It is not a huge show, but decent. It had representation from most other major names but oddly no correct crafts.

I read in a different post that CC wasn't well represented at another boat show. At the show in Chicago a couple of weeks ago, I'm pretty sure they had one of everything. Someone else who was there might be able to correct me if I'm wrong. They definitely had a 196,206,216,211,220,210,230,and a 216v. Don't recall a 236?

Rob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:11pm
The Louisville boat show only had one 08 220.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:50pm
It costs alot of money for dealers to get space at a boat show. More than you would think. I don't know if the factory comps some of that or if the dealers are on their own.Maybe the Corporate office needs to look at making sure these guys can get the boats to the shows so that their products are well represented. When you factor in low attendance at shows lately,combined with lackluster sales,it's understandable that some dealers may not be able to front the thousands(sometimes tens of thousands)of dollars to set up at a show for the possibility of selling one boat if they're lucky. I doubt there are any financial institutions setting up at shows trying to sell loans for boats right now....Hahaha...

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 1:15pm
Mike, it will be interesting to see what East Coast Flightcraft has this year. Between the Fountains, Cobolts and Malibus, last year their display was huge. I'd be surprised if it's half as big. I bet NECC will be the same size as last year.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 1:54pm
If you look at stricktly boat show floor space vs boat show boat sales, I'll bet most dealers lost this year (and a few previous).
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:58pm
If you've noticed at the big shows, the local dealers typically participate alongside the factory people. The local dealers provide the inventory support, staff etc, but I'm sure a local dealer is not footing the bill entirely at a place like McCormmick. They most likely participate on a financial basis depending on if the store is franchised or not.. Etc..

Also notice that many of the boats decked out for the shows are already sold prior to arriving, some of which deliver directly to the customer afterwards..

It is rare for any exibitor, in any show with a sizeable island display to ever pay for the cost of the booth and floor space with the profits of those said pieces being sold from the floor.

We used to rent a 50X50 foot island at McCormick for years and never paid for it at the end of a show with sales...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Tim. I would love to have one of those 17'6"s they are cool as hell but they in no way are a family boat.(I dig the monocromatic white) They are tiny and ment for one reason, Slalom.

Anyways I would say if they were to bring back a classic, the 2001 would be the most versital. All of the other older boats are just to small for what people think of as a family boat today.

Have you ever been in a 176? I have, and Id consider it to be a roomier boat than a 2001. The windshield is pushed really far forward, and its quite a bit wider- the interior is only marginally smaller than the 90+ Ski Nautique. I disagree that its only good for slalom- do you remember the "Air 176"? With a smaller footprint and similar weight as the 19' foot boats, I bet it throws a decent boarding wake.

Thats not to say that a stripped 211 wouldnt sell- but dont you think Correct Craft has thought of that?
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by trbenj trbenj wrote:

Have you ever been in a 176? I have, and I'd consider it to be a roomier boat than a 2001. The windshield is pushed really far forward, and its quite a bit wider- the interior is only marginally smaller than the 90+ Ski Nautique. I disagree that its only good for slalom- do you remember the "Air 176"? With a smaller footprint and similar weight as the 19' foot boats, I bet it throws a decent boarding wake.

Absolutely agree with this. I have a 1999 176, and while I'd like a little more width when moving alongside the engine cover, it has plenty of room. The wake, while being somewhat of a compromise by current standards, throws plenty at wakeboarding speeds (even without ballast), and evens out nicely at slalom.   I have no idea if the market would support this hull again, but to me it's an ideal boat. Fast enough, handles great, strong like bull, and most of all, efficient.
'99 SN Air Tique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 6:14pm
Tim, doesn't Kyle have one of those with a GT 40? That's a beautiful and fast boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Tim, doesn't Kyle have one of those with a GT 40? That's a beautiful and fast boat.

Yep- got to ride it & drive it @ NE07. Pretty darn quick ride!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 11:08pm
Are there any dealers participating in the green lake reunion? Seems like a great place
to show case and introduce new Nautiques and
at the same time show the roots and history of the company. Cost to dealers wound be a fraction of boat show space and you would have the advantage of being in the water. One of the reasons I bought a Nautique is the comrodity and the sense of being part of a group . The forums are great and full of info. Its the main reason I buy Harleys its nice to be part of a group.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 12:56am
Emergency thread jack!

Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

Its the main reason I buy Harleys its nice to be part of a group.

Dooooood,

I hope your kidding.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic