Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12747
Printed Date: May-07-2024 at 5:13am

Topic: Correct Craft today
Posted By: 220nautique
Subject: Correct Craft today
Date Posted: January-25-2009 at 7:12pm
I live in Alabama and I have grown up going to the lake with family and friends. As I have gotten older it seems the number of correct craft boats have declined on the lake. I am not sure if it is in just my state or if it is happening on a larger scale. I love the brand and hate to see it slip away. families are purchasing searays and bryants etc. as family water sport boats. I don't have a problem with either of those boats but i think the only reason they do so well is because they are sold out of the nicer marina on the "nicer" side of the lake while nautiques are sold on the older less populated side of the lake with pontoons. I feel like they give themselves a bad brand image because of this. I was wondering if anybody knew what correct craft is doing to protect their brand image and if there are ways to email feedback to nautique through their website. I know this post might sound dumb but you wouldn't believe the number of people I know that know boats and don't know what a nautique is. I know the nautique website is nice but i think they need higher standards for their dealers and really need to closely evaluate potential dealers backgrounds locations etc.

Replies:
Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: January-25-2009 at 7:35pm
on a family level, why spend 70k when you can spend 40k on family fun...they really are "boat specific" and have nothing to do with demographics, people will drive 1200 miles to buy a Correct Craft. as with everything else in this world pricing didnt follow suit and that pretty much got out of hand. wakeboarding became very popular in the last 15 years an the demand increased for this style of boat(tower boats) but the guy's that want to go out wakeboarding are not necessarily (boat specific guy's)...they never heard of a CC, they saw the towers and identified, so now you have competition. same as a pair of Michael Jordan Nike's, its still a shoe, maybe some capitalizing there....until he retired, and now the demand is not there for his shoe anymore....they want a Lebron shoe, you know the guy, he's from Cleveland Ohio

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: January-26-2009 at 6:40am
First of all, welcome to the greatest CC site!

Originally posted by 220nautique 220nautique wrote:

I know the nautique website is nice but i think they need higher standards for their dealers and really need to closely evaluate potential dealers backgrounds locations etc.

I agree with you on this one. I'm not very pleased with the CC dealer here in Belgium either. When I went to him for a new prop (he sells ACME), he simply told me that nor the 470 nor the 1442 existed. On top of that, if I bought the prop at his shop it would have costed me some 250$ more!! Several times he couldn't even get me parts for my boat.
Now I just order my parts directly in the US.
Another thing is that he's not organised, so he doesn't get boats done on time or get new boats delivered on time. When I had my little accident last summer, it took him three weeks to check the shaft alingment (of course after I called him like a zillion times)...
I know a few other clients that had problems with him. To me he doesn't represent my favorite brand to well... But that's just my opinion.

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: Nautiquehunter
Date Posted: January-26-2009 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

on a family level, why spend 70k when you can spend 40k on family fun...they really are "boat specific" and have nothing to do with demographics, people will drive 1200 miles to buy a Correct Craft. as with everything else in this world pricing didn't follow suit and that pretty much got out of hand. wakeboarding became very popular in the last 15 years an the demand increased for this style of boat(tower boats) but the guy's that want to go out wakeboarding are not necessarily (boat specific guy's)...they never heard of a CC, they saw the towers and identified, so now you have competition. same as a pair of Michael Jordan Nike's, its still a shoe, maybe some capitalizing there....until he retired, and now the demand is not there for his shoe anymore....they want a Lebron shoe, you know the guy, he's from Cleveland Ohio

I agree it seems like everybody is getting in on the act. I was at the Louisville boat show sun and saw every brand with a version of a wakeboat. If you put a tower,racks and speakers on a IO its looks like the real thing.At a price sometimes 1/2. I can see how it is very attractive to the average family .Inboards have always been a narrow slice of the boat market if you don't live to pull on water you will probably find a runabout better suited for crusing,fishing and gen purpose use.

Posted By: emccallum
Date Posted: January-26-2009 at 5:45pm
It seems most people around here are buying what I call a crossover/hybrid boat. They are sold these boats b/c salesmen tell them it will do it all. Truth is, it doesnt do anything well except burn fuel, drag a tube and make big waves.
Some of my friends that have gotten into boating, know very little about watersports, and once they spend a day in a Correct Craft, they understand why it's the only way to go, if skiing is involved. Unfortunetly, most families dont want to take the time or effort to teach their kids to ski, when they can throw them on a tube spin them around. Damn, I hate tubes! Can you tell?
As for the 70K wakeboard boats, they are usually packed full of young guys drinking beer playing load music, NOT wakeboarding. I have often wondered if the three or four boards on the rack are actual boards or just cardboard cutouts, like the headlight decals in NASCAR?

Date Posted: January-26-2009 at 5:59pm
I understand a Nautique is for a certain kind of person, but i also think that CC needs to play a more competitive roll in the market so they stay around for everyone to enjoy. The fewer boats they produce the higher the cost, and as we all know they are pretty pricey (but well worth it). I don't think there is anything wrong with producing an all purpose boat if means they keep making my 196. Im not worried what anyone does on a boat but me. If those beer drinkers want to drink on a Nautique, let them. they help keep the cc alive as much as we do.

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: January-26-2009 at 6:06pm
The same thing has happened in the northeast over the past 25-30 years. Up here, I think it's because there are too few dealers. They ought to have a bigger dealer network.

I think they ought to have some non ski specific models like the Malibu LSV that would compete with Colbalts. There are people that like high quality, performance boats with classic gel schemes and not all the boarding stuff all over them. They could call them Correct Crafts.

-------------

Posted By: emccallum
Date Posted: January-26-2009 at 6:17pm

Im not worried what anyone does on a boat but me. If those beer drinkers want to drink on a Nautique, let them. they help keep the cc alive as much as we do.

I dont care much either...except when they cruise down the cove, when we are running a course, do a few donuts are plow out at 15mph! Idiots.

Date Posted: January-26-2009 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Im not worried what anyone does on a boat but me. If those beer drinkers want to drink on a Nautique, let them. they help keep the cc alive as much as we do.

I dont care much either...except when they cruise down the cove, when we are running a course, do a few donuts are plow out at 15mph! Idiots.

I'm with you on that. unfortunately, that is a problem we cant fix.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I think they ought to have some non ski specific models like the Malibu LSV that would compete with Colbalts. There are people that like high quality, performance boats with classic gel schemes and not all the boarding stuff all over them. They could call them Correct Crafts.

I like that idea Bruce,it would be like in the 70's,more choices. I wonder if CC has gone the way of a lot of companies ie too big. When it was family owned I'll bet they could change directions alot easier. Seems like if wakeboarding falls out of style,then what?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 1:43am

There are people that like high quality, performance boats with classic gel schemes and not all the boarding stuff all over them. They could call them Correct Crafts.

Wow ....what a great idea...

I always thought you were a smart guy Bruce.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 4:11pm
Most people that are in wake board boats are just annoying. They get them becuase wakeboarding is the (cool thing to do, I hate the coool thing). They say they can wakeboard but the majority of them cant even wake to wake on one. They are just in the way of the serious boarders/skiers. Like many of you said correct craft needs to make a more entry level priced boat to compete with the rest of the average boat makers out there today that isnt 70k. There would need to market this boat heavily to get its image out into that particular market. Most people that are into watersports seriously know that correct craft is the best of the best in competition tow boats, but the average family getting into boating just knows what the local marina has and it looks like it will suit their needs just fine and the price isnt bad either.

The boat wouldnt even need to have balast or any of the things that make them expensive because of the market that it would be in the people dont care about that. Even with an entry level 305(260hp) like my aunts sea ray has, an inboard or V drive would outperform any entry level IO boat ten fold. They could even get away with a 6 cylinder with the gear reduction transmissions of today and still out perform IO boats and probably help in the price and the economy standpoint. CC had 6 cylinders back when so why not today?

They could make a stripper version boat and it would still look and perform better with better quality than other brands for the same prices. All they would need to make it appeal to the younger crowd would be nice graphics and some bangin speakers on a nice tower and they are in. They would just need a way for familys to try their boat out and realize how much better it would perform for them when compared to other boats in the price range.

Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 4:34pm
I was checking out the website. The 211 would be an excellent boat to build a stripped down version of for entry level prices. The standard and optional engines are 345hp. That boat would move along just fine with a 260 horse motor which would probably take a couple thousand off the price tag. There is only two options either the base package or the premium package. It would more appealing if you were able to pick and choose things like if you dont care about the looks package but you want the speed control.

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 4:37pm
You are preaching to the choir.......

I would hate to know or be on board the CC ship that goes under on my watch.The CEO has a game plan to scale back hours and production to "FIX" the loss of sales.
A newer lower priced boat would be a solution to this problem,they could even do a little creative advertising to help with a known name .
Something like CorrectCraft, kinda far out there isn't it? Maybe some cool names for this "new line of "ECONO" boats.....
Barracuda
Mustang
American Skier
Classic
Atom Skier

NAH!!!!!!!!! This marketing plan would not get even a mention at a Corporate Board Meeting. Sure sounds like a good idea tho.
The next word we here fron Yeargan is the bonuses will be paid for a banner year, but we have to close the doors............Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 4:44pm
Thats what I was thinking exactly boat dr. They had economy boats back when so whats stopping them from doing it now. You know the quality and performance would still be better than other boats for around the same price tag with a name known for quality and satisfaction.

Todays economy is about the best deal. Thats the only thing motivating people to buy anything now.

Looks they need a few good men for R and D and marketing at CC haha.

The people buying in that range dont care about stainless steel cup holders or thick carpet. Hell you could get away with just gel cote floors becasue they wouldnt have to worry about it getting wett or cleaning it out. They obviously dont care about the engine as long as it moves because a majority of entry level boats in reecent years sport the 4.3 gm 6 cylinder. Less maintinance costs on an inboard too.

Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 9:35pm
WOW it sounds like you guys want a CC version of Bayliner[Not a bad boat for the money]
Its taken me a long time to upgrade into a Nautique I like all the amenities and quality
of the build. I am not sure I want a cheap
Nautique in the line. I could have bought a Moomba or Axis witch is kinda what you are talking about.
If you are looking for a less expensive Nautique there plenty of low hour used Nautiques with top quality and all the trimmings.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

WOW it sounds like you guys want a CC version of Bayliner[Not a bad boat for the money]

Michael,
Not at all! You're old enough to remember or are you new to boating?

From the boat dr:
Barracuda
Mustang
American Skier
Classic
Atom Skier

These are basic boats but certainly not built like a Bayliner.

If for some reason you are not familiar with these boats, browse through the 50's and 60's brochures in the reference section.

BTW, dollar for dollar, I would question if a Bayliner is a good investment. Not much there for your buck!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 11:07pm
A stripped boat is still going to be Correct Craft or Nautique quality. But, it would broaden their line and they would bring buyers in that they otherwise wouldn't. And if they took the current boats they have now and made civilian versions of them and pushed their quality and performance, it would broaden their line and they would get some of the sportboat buyers. Right now their sales are limited to the high end skier/boarder market which is a very limited market.

They had to have been selling far more boats in the 60s and 70s when their line was so much broader.

That and cutting their overhead, which is hard to do when you have a new factory to pay for. The boating industry is hurting. Even the highend. Hinkley in Maine announce a lay off last week. And their sales aren't usually bothered by a recession, but this one has even hurt the wealthy.

-------------

Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 11:11pm
Mike, as i see from the number of posts you have made here you are a NEWBY!!!!!!!
Hope you read the info Pete shared with you above,and if you are not familiar with any of those names I will cut you a little slack.
That being said, and also the proud owner of a classic 1964 CorrectCraft American Skier, I take great OFFENSE to your comment as to what I need. Please do not use the Bayliner name nor any references to that boat with the CorrectCraft boats on this site.
If I was going to buy a used boat it damn sure would not be a "BLING BOAT" And for value ,The dollar for fun ratio is considerably higher with a newer CC.
A new family wanting to test the waters , cannot afford a 50,000 toy.CC could build some lower end boats that would meet this need. No towers, stereo or pop up tables.
Just plain simple "TOW BOATS" that are used for skiing, tubing and just spending time on the water.
You do know that was how CorrectCraft cornered the market, "It Was With A Ski Boat" and they made several different sizes,shapes and offered lots of motor options.....DUHHHH
Why would this work again....???????

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: critter
Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 11:16pm
I thought that the Orange Crush was the basic ski boat offered by CC.
Is that not correct ?
I appears to be a nice basic ski boat. Is there more to it than I have seen ?

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 11:22pm
Orange Crush is very plush and has all the bells and whistles.

Boats are like pick up trucks. All the refinements drive up the price. I've always bought work trucks and it's always amazed me how you can double the price of the truck by adding options.

-------------

Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 11:35pm
Thats excatly what I was saying boat doc, and riley. Much better quality with all the same features for around the same price.

Bayliner is and never was and never will be any kind of comparison to CC boats.

Mike we arent concerned with price of the boat for ourselves we already have boats. We are concerned for the future of the company. Only making low sales numbers of high end boats isnt going to cut it much longer in this economy. They need to get into as many markets as they can.

Cuddy nautique, fish nautique, bass nautique, sea nautique. Look at all the old brochures and see how wide their range of different boats was.

It just so happens one of the biggest markets it has a chance to still enter into is the begenner boater with the family that wants a quality boat at a price appealing to their income. This would be the easiest and most cost effective market for them to get into because they have existing boats they could turn into boats that would be more appealing to the lower price range market.

Posted By: 05 210
Date Posted: January-27-2009 at 11:56pm
I guess I'll jump into this one head first.

First of all, All you guys on this site that own classic boats have a great piece of boating history. One day, I will trade in the "bling boat" for a classic. Those old boats look absolutely beautiful,sound great,and are bare bones performance packages that remind me of an old musclecar.
     I own the boat I own for various reasons,and being a "newer boat owner on this site I expect a few jabs here and there about "bling". Whatever.
     Anyhow, it is obvious from a marketing standpoint that CC has been building what they believe people want,reguardless of whether or not some of us agree. While it looks like unfortunately for them they may be in for some rough times due to overinflation of markets/housing/boats or whathaveyou ,ask yourself this question......
   Honestly (and I mean HONESTLY) if CC built a base model equivelent to an older hull with similar options and priced it according to TODAYS value of the dollar,todays cost of materials/labor,etc, how many people from this site or any other for that matter are actually going to run right out and buy one? My guess is very few, if any. No offense to anyone,that's just the way I see it.

Flame Away

Mike

-------------
http:/diaries/details.asp?ID=2219" rel="nofollow - Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 12:26am
So mike. People are going to be more apt to buy a cheaper version of a boat they already make that one thats expensive. It wouldnt take any money other than some time going into lesser options on boats that are already produced.

They are still in business so why not try something cheaper for little cost to the company. Its never a given that people will buy what you make.

Nobody mentioned that they need to stop making boats like yours. I would be all over a newer boat if I werent a poor college student.(a CCF edition would look nice behind my cabbin) I give you props for being able to own such a nice and pricey boat. Thats why im in school so someday I can buy things like that if I want. Ill never give up me first love though

Like I said before not many of us on this site would be interested in a boat like we are proposing but we are a breed apart in the boating world as seen by stringer projects, etc. People that restore old wood boats arent going to go out and buy a new one that looks old just like us.

These boats would be for familys who want a quality boat for a good price to hit the water. Hell who knows getting these people into the correct craft brand and quality might lead them to buy some of the upper scale boats as their income grows as time passes.

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 12:37am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Mike we aren't concerned with price of the boat for ourselves we already have boats. We are concerned for the future of the company. Only making low sales numbers of high end boats isn't going to cut it much longer in this economy. .

It just so happens one of the biggest markets it has a chance to still enter into is the beginner boater with the family that wants a quality boat at a price appealing to their income. This would be the easiest and most cost effective market for them to get into because they have existing boats they could turn into boats that would be more appealing to the lower price range market.

Mike I guess you don't read very well, I personally could care less about your bling boat, don't turn my crank at all. But if you love it I am happy for you.
The company that built your boat is in "DIRE STRAITS" as in cash flow nada.If someone does not pull a rabbit out of their hat soon , they will be forced to cease and desist.
Where will that put you and all those Bling Boat Owners.No factory, no parts. This not affect us as they could care less about any boat over 10 years old.
Wake up Bling Boy and smell the roses while you can.We were offering some simple suggestions that may indeed turn the tide for CC.............

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 12:37am
I'm not a fan of Bayliners but could anyone share some really bad experience with one of them? because there are many around here and I'm yet to see one with a major hull/ structural failure.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 12:57am
Luchog, can you spell cheap,they use the absolute cheapest parts and supplies they can. This is the reason their resale value is so poor.
Cheap cables, guages, switches. Glass and gel on the outside will survive till the payoff but the floor will be soft and interior will need a face lift.
What else do you want to know?????????????????Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 1:35am
   Billy, I read just fine thank you and my comments were not directed toward you personally.Sorry if you took it that way.
   I'm not saying they don't need to do something about sales.I'm saying that no matter what they do,there still may not be any buyers.I own a business and I am fully aware of what is happening with the struggling economy. I think it's great that you have ideas about what they can do to survive,but I think you totally missed my point.
   Buyers that have excess cash to spend on a boat in this economy aren't necessarily looking for price point boats.They are looking for loaded boats for stripped prices.Maybe this economic crisis will change peoples outlook on what they really need in a towboat, but until that happens I don't know if they'd sell. That's all I'm tryin to say.I'd be willing to bet that the average "new boating family" would walk into a dealer,look at a base model and still go buy a Bayliner because it has more features etc,even though it is a POS longterm. FWIW Correct Craft has a stripped model already.All they need to do is lower the price.
    Phatsat, thank you for the compliment on my boat.I never took from context that anyone thought they should stop making them.You are welcome to go for a pull anytime . For me ,it was the right boat at the right time for the right money.Simple as that.

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 1:41am
   Maybe you weren't adressing me Boat Doc?

Do we have too many Mikes on here with bling boats.
I didn't realize Nautiquehunter was a Mike also.   Carry on.......I'm confused

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 1:58am
Mike, I slalom Ill let my little brother and cousin take my tow card behind your boat they kneeboard hah. I would drive it tho:).

Anywho just ideas. It wouldnt cost anthing to cheapin up a pre existing boat and they have nothing to loose so go for it.

Like I said the only thing motivating people to buy currently are deals.(deals:loaded boats for stripped prices). My family ownes a used car dealership and if the paper or trader puts a miss print about a year too new or a price to low the phones ring off the hook other than that business is hitt and miss.

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 2:03am
Sorry for the shotgun effect there Mike ..... that was aimed directly at Nautiquehunter......Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 2:30am
Hold on guys in no way was I comparing a Bayliner to a CC. And the last thing I want to do is offend. I have been boating for 25 years. I must admit my ignorance of the CC history. I have always looked at CC as a top of the line boat. When you were saying they should build a entry level boat I never thought of CC like that. Kinda like Caddy or Lincoln building a metro or escort. IMO If CC wants to build a stripped down boat they should change the name like Supra/Moomba or Malibu/Axis. I see CC today as #1 in their market with the line currently being built. If they want to get into a different market I don't think they should try to add it to the high end line.

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 3:54am

. I have been boating for 25 years. I must admit my ignorance of the CC history. If they want to get into a different market I don't think they should try to add it to the high end line.

Mike we accept the ignorance part,But laying off workers, and going to a two day work week must be a marketing ploy to maintain that #1 status you speak of.
Part of the reason they are in this mess now is they forgot where they came from. Here in the South we call it forgetting where your "ROOTS ARE"
Is this what we are seeing with CC and we all will watch the big tree die ,as it starves to death on the vine..........

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: shawnmc
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 7:51am
wow...great thread. I do think I read a post with tubbing by the Boat Dr.....just fell over in my chair!!!!!

I agree with most of the points made. I think what you are going to see...or already seeing...that in this economy a 50-75,000 dollar boat....car....or widget is not a priority for most if not all families.

I think i will just keep my 86, or trade for billy's I mean Karens boat!

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 9:52am
Does anyone know of a person who has restored a Bayliner? I don't! They go to the landfill.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 9:56am
2 days a week? Sounds like they're trying to stop the hemoraging. Wouldn't it suck if they got bought by another boat company.

Mike, (05210), you're boat is beautiful. Wakeboard boats have been great for the industry. The boat companies were scrapping by with just tourney boats until wake boats came along. I just think their line should have more to offer.

-------------

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 10:19am
you guy's fail to mention that some of the bling/bling boats are 100k, CC grew too fast ....dog and pony shows dont impress me. it took the old man 50 years to get where he was at

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 11:16am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Sorry for the shotgun effect there Mike ..... that was aimed directly at Nautiquehunter......Boat dr

No problem Doc.

I think what Nautiquehunter is saying is that he doesn't want to see a cheap Correct Craft.In todays day and age is it posible to have an inexpensive CC without it being cheap? Probably. Will it happen? Only CC knows for sure.
   I personally would have preferred an all white basic boat somewhat like the stripped one posted on here a while back. For me ,tower and perfect pass are a must. Other than that I can do with or without. If I had ordered the stripped option boat that was bare bones/ all business I would have had to wait a year to get it and it would have been as much if not more than my fully loaded 05 which was about to go down as a leftover. The biggest problem I see with "entry level" boats is that they are too expensive. Mastercraft tried it a few years ago,and Malibu is trying it now w/ Axis. Neither one of those boats are inexpensive by my standards (45k+). MC actually advertised the X1 @ $39,995 but no one seemed to ever have one in stock for that price.

Moomba makes an entry level inboard for around 30k, but what's the first thing you think of when you hear that name?

When you think about the CC boats it kind of reminds me of the Chevy Corvette.

Base Model around 40k
Loaded version 90K.......come on,is there really that much technology in the loaded version to justify more than doubling the price? Manufacturers need to get their pricing back in line and stuff will sell.

Bruce, Thanks.

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 11:37am
Malibu had a great entry level boat, the Sportster and they priced it out of the market. It was a nice boat, barebones, but not cheap by any standards. They competed with all the low priced boats. Seems like a lot of people that bought them traded up to a bigger/better Malibu after a few years. It got people into Malibu line. In 2003 they were $24k, 3 years later in their last year they were $30k. Apparently, they didn't think there was enough profit in them and cancelled it. Maybe you got to make a certain amount on a boat to stay in business.

I got to wonder though, what if they took an old Mustang or Ski Tique mold, if they still have them, and made a basic 16' Mustang with a 235 hp 4.3. Why couldn't you make a boat like that and price it under $20k?

-------------

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 1:14pm
I think we will have to agree to disagree. I like the old classic boats they were the top line "bling boats" of there day. As far as building a new Ski Tique or Mustang I think the market for that boat may be very small.Witch will make them a custom build and add to cost. Don't get me wrong I think boat prices are too high as well as house,car,food,fuel ext. I don't see Chevy building a low cost Corvette for 1/3 the price leaving out some options. Companies like CC have done well buy building what the market will buy I look at the changes made in the last 10 years. They sold me! CC has put in production changes to be as fair to employees as possible. I wish my employer did I get 0 days a week. Take a look at MC or BU they are sitting on so much 07,08 inventory it will take years to sell them.CC is in much better shape.

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Does anyone know of a person who has restored a Bayliner? I don't! They go to the landfill.

Bayliner to boats is like KIA is to cars they don't build classics just basic low cost entry level products. They have a market they serve and do a pretty good job in it. You cant compare a top line product to a low line and expect a fair result. I think Bayliner builds a good boat FOR THE MONEY. If they didn't they wouldn't be in business. They are not competing with CC like Chaparral and Cobalt are.

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 1:46pm
Doc,

CC is not the only business or Boat Mfr for that matter that is hurting in this economy, many many people and businesses are, mine included. Their name or offerings really have nothing to do with it, we are just in some very tough economic times.

FWIW, the Orange Crush is not a Loaded boat, top engine yes, but pretty basic after that. You can purchase a SN with a base engine and no options for WAY less than 70k, I have seen current year promos out there for 30k.

One thing that CC could do that would be really cool is bring back a "Muscle" boat, like the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger of the car MFR's, imagine a brand new Cuda SS or Classic, that could be a really cool boat.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 1:50pm

-------------

Posted By: anthonylizardi
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 1:52pm
I think quality is achievable at all markets levels and why CC can market a base base at a lower price. Quality doesn't mean quantity or more bling. Look at Toyota, top line Lexus, mid tier Toyota, bottom line Scion. All three brands have excellent quality and only the features changes. Then, why not. I liked the idea of being able to buy boat I can pay in 4 years. Then if is an excellent boat I can keep upgrading as money allows or trade in. But I bet that would have a negative impact on the brand price. Selling a basic model might affect the high end perception of brand. Just some random thoughts...

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I guess I'll jump into this one head first.

First of all, All you guys on this site that own classic boats have a great piece of boating history. One day, I will trade in the "bling boat" for a classic. Those old boats look absolutely beautiful,sound great,and are bare bones performance packages that remind me of an old musclecar.
     I own the boat I own for various reasons,and being a "newer boat owner on this site I expect a few jabs here and there about "bling". Whatever.
     Anyhow, it is obvious from a marketing standpoint that CC has been building what they believe people want,reguardless of whether or not some of us agree. While it looks like unfortunately for them they may be in for some rough times due to overinflation of markets/housing/boats or whathaveyou ,ask yourself this question......
   Honestly (and I mean HONESTLY) if CC built a base model equivelent to an older hull with similar options and priced it according to TODAYS value of the dollar,todays cost of materials/labor,etc, how many people from this site or any other for that matter are actually going to run right out and buy one? My guess is very few, if any. No offense to anyone,that's just the way I see it.

Flame Away

Mike

Mike, for the record, I agree 100%. With the quality parts and construction that CC uses, I would think that a new "no frills" 16-17' Mustang or Barracuda would still be pushing the $30k mark. I know I wouldnt buy one- Ill stick with a true classic!

So mike. People are going to be more apt to buy a cheaper version of a boat they already make that one thats expensive. It wouldnt take any money other than some time going into lesser options on boats that are already produced.

Phats, CC has tried this in the past. Look at the Ski Nautique "Standard" offered in '93-94 or the 176, which was sold from '96-99. I dont have sales numbers to back it up, but I suspect that if those models had been considered successful, they would have continued making them. Ive heard the question asked many times why CC doesnt offer a price point boat- the response from CC has always been that if you wanted a cheaper Nautique, then buy a used one. We all know that theyre built to last and still perform great!

Like has been said, lots of boat makers are struggling right now. Boating is a luxury, and luxuries get cut first when times are tight. I dont know nearly enough about the industry or the market to know whether a pricepoint boat would be the answer to Correct Craft's problems. I just hope that whoever is running the company is able to get it through these tough times, and that they still continue to make the dedicated SKI boat (196) for years to come.

-------------

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 3:29pm
HW,

The Garbage Scow is an great photo!

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

I think quality is achievable at all markets levels and why CC can market a base base at a lower price. Quality doesn't mean quantity or more bling. Look at Toyota, top line Lexus, mid tier Toyota, bottom line Scion. All three brands have excellent quality and only the features changes. Then, why not. I liked the idea of being able to buy boat I can pay in 4 years. Then if is an excellent boat I can keep upgrading as money allows or trade in. But I bet that would have a negative impact on the brand price. Selling a basic model might affect the high end perception of brand. Just some random thoughts...

Anthony that is what I am saying CC can make a retro comp boat at a price point. I just don't like the idea of tagging it CC or Nautique Names known for top quality and ground breaking designing You will never see a Toyota dealer selling Lexus.

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 4:02pm
They do not even refer to themselves as Correct Craft anymore. In all the press releases I have seen recently, they call themselves "Nautique".

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

WOW that is quite a demeaning picture.
I have never owned a Bayliner but I have known people who have. They are mostly 1st time owners or on the lower end of income.
I do take exception to all the bashing why not pick on somebody your own size[MC]? The point of boating is to have FUN not to build your ego be slamming a lesser brand. Iv seen this before at the other top boat builder.I didn't like then either. Why not go and kick a puppy or beat up a nerd. You guys are at the top of the food chain don't lower yourself to this level I consider myself fortunate to be able to get Nautique I don't look down on others less fortunate.

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 4:16pm
Hopefully, they won't go the way of Century. They got bought out by someone who was mostly interested in posing in the brochure photos and he ran the company into the ground, and now they make center consoles.

Nautiquehunter, it is a funny picture. Don't take it so seriously.

-------------

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 4:27pm

Hopefully, they won't go the way of Century. They got bought out by someone who was mostly interested in posing in the brochure photos and he ran the company into the ground, and now they make center consoles.

Nautiquehunter, it is a funny picture. Don't take it so seriously.

I couldn't imagine what would be said if somebody did that to a CC I don't think it would be so funny.

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 4:34pm
I have a foot in each half of this debate, kind of like the way I'll drool the same volume over a 2009 911 and a 1961 MGA.

You'll have to pry my Classic from my rigor mortis crippled hands when the day comes, however I am tire kicking for a late model used 210/220. I won't give up the soul of the classics, but I need the utility, space and function of a newer boat.

In regards to a lower priced boat or standard editions, I really question what the demand would be for this offering. As I've been watching the market, I rarely come across a 210 or a 220 limited. Almost everything is a Team with extras. From what I've seen, I'd be surprised if the Limiteds make up more than 20% of sales.

I've also chawed on the thought of a new, reissued Classic/Cuda/BFN etc. You'd be hard pressed to put one on a floor for less than $25K. Like Tim said, $30K is probably more realistic. Is there really a market for such a boat? If so, how many per year? Would you rather have this new boat or a very nice 2003 210? For me, right now, I'd choose the 210.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 4:42pm
I've had one member here say a lot worse things to me about my Malibus, and I thought it was pretty funny.

-------------

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Phats, CC has tried this in the past. Look at the Ski Nautique "Standard" offered in '93-94 or the 176, which was sold from '96-99. I dont have sales numbers to back it up, but I suspect that if those models had been considered successful, they would have continued making them.

I was having a conversation with someone locally today who echoed this exact statement. Given who this person is, I would say Tim is right on the money.

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 5:46pm
   Nautiquehunter,

Occassionally things pop up on here like the garbage boat pic. That happens on every boat site at some point. This is a great group of guys , don't take it too seriously.

P.S. I want a pull behind your new boat

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 7:01pm
Poll:

If you had the chance to buy a new, "woodless" classic Cuda/Mustang/Classic/Barefoot, with all the other modern running gear, electronics etc. for $25,000, would you????.

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: MADTOWN78
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 7:03pm
I don't quite understand why they can't make a new classic and sell for a hefty profit for $25K or under?

I would buy a new 78SN for $25K in a heart beat, especially if it did not have the one major flaw of the original (wood stringers).

I would guess based on the popularity of the 2001 model -- even more of those would sell.

Manufacture costs for building a new 'old SN' would have to be under $10K?

I say it is about time to make a new 16 - 18 footer (even a SNOB model -- also popular based on resale/ used market). It sounds like a great idea!! Corner the market on guys looking for a new 'classic', corner the market on those first time buyers looking for a dependable new boat made by a quality company for a reasonable price, adjust to the current world we are living in before you burry yourself (one overpriced gold shovel full at a time).

Really what is the cost of a fiberglass hull when produced in large quantity? ?? Any ideas?

Throw in a nice Chevy 350 (after all it is the one upgrade worth the $). Add the basic analog gauges (you know ones that still work after 30 years!!), an upgraded interior, and some mechanicals. What could that really cost? Make a tower and PP, and a nice stereo the available options. As people realize that you can't (don't need to keep up with the Jones') in this sort of market, then they are going to reevaluate what they really desire/ 'need' and can afford.

If you bought an old SN, did a full stringer job, new gel coat, repowered with a new 350, and replaced all of the mechanicals you could do it all for under $12K, maybe less (and that includes buying the original piece O junk that you start with.

If CC doesn't start to make some quick adjustments to the current market, all of our boats are going to be even more 'classic'.

-------------
livin', lovin', lovin' livin'

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

ROFLMAO    GOD DANG, thats some funny s**t!!!!
At least this is a concerned group who aren't littering our waterways.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Poll:

If you had the chance to buy a new, "woodless" classic Cuda/Mustang/Classic/Barefoot, with all the other modern running gear, electronics etc. for $25,000, would you????.

Moj'

No. For the same reason I would not go out and buy a modern Dodge Challenger,Charger or any other reproduction of some classic iron.For starters,with todays standards,it most likely would have to be quiet,which does absolutley nothing for me when it comes to that era of boat.It just wouldn't be the same.

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

At least this is a concerned group who aren't littering our waterways.

That is, with the exception of the Dumpster itself.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 9:37pm
I think that a new version of the 2001 model is more marketable than any of the classics.

It's a more modern hull with proven reputation for all disciplines, yet it's small and simple.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 9:47pm
Unfortunately, I think CC has moved in the wrong direction including wake boarding boats. Any competition besides the masters or one that is hosted by Nautique uses Mastercraft now. I think CC got too comfortable with there product while other brands (Mastercraft and Malibu) busted their asses to offer a competitive product. I think offering a low cost product is a good idea but for now CC needs to focus advertising and marketing what they make.

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 9:55pm
My friend bought a brand new 08 Malibu V-ride, and it's a very nice good boat, very well fitted and detailed but in my opinion his 95' 195 Ski Nautique was a better built boat.

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

I have a foot in each half of this debate, kind of like the way I'll drool the same volume over a 2009 911 and a 1961 MGA.

You'll have to pry my Classic from my rigor mortis crippled hands when the day comes, however I am tire kicking for a late model used 210/220. I won't give up the soul of the classics, but I need the utility, space and function of a newer boat.

In regards to a lower priced boat or standard editions, I really question what the demand would be for this offering. As I've been watching the market, I rarely come across a 210 or a 220 limited. Almost everything is a Team with extras. From what I've seen, I'd be surprised if the Limiteds make up more than 20% of sales.

I've also chawed on the thought of a new, reissued Classic/Cuda/BFN etc. You'd be hard pressed to put one on a floor for less than $25K. Like Tim said, $30K is probably more realistic. Is there really a market for such a boat? If so, how many per year? Would you rather have this new boat or a very nice 2003 210? For me, right now, I'd choose the 210.

Well said.

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 10:21pm

Nautiquehunter,

Occassionally things pop up on here like the garbage boat pic. That happens on every boat site at some point. This is a great group of guys , don't take it too seriously.

P.S. I want a pull behind your new boat

Mike

I am not taking it too seriously Just thought I would take a shot at some bad mannered posts.
As for a pull on my new boat all of you are welcome anytime. The same passion you all have for the sport will make disagreements like this more heated. I like all boats but I prefer Nautique. I also still have my 89 Supra I have owned it since new and just cant give it up. I do know how you guys feel about your classic boats.      

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 10:56pm

...For starters,with todays standards,it most likely would have to be quiet..
Mike

Hells bells, Mikey, you of all folk should know that could be easily remedied, especially if a little forethought during design made <cough> allowances <ahem> for the aftermarket.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 10:59pm
Back in 2003 when I bought a new boat, I would have jumped at the chance to by a new 66 Barracuda or the like, but now I'd feel like I was cheating.

-------------

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 11:20pm

I got to wonder though, what if they took an old Mustang or Ski Tique mold, if they still have them, and made a basic 16' Mustang with a 235 hp 4.3. Why couldn't you make a boat like that and price it under $20k?

Bruce, if the old molds exist and are useable, and you are a major manufacturer that already has the infrastructure, you might be able to pop one off and sell it for $20K. As MadTown said, your costs would have to be around $10K to make it work.

Now you need to consider the ancillary costs. There will be re-engineering for modern power, safety and controls. USCG certification. Marketing. Product liability insurance.

Now factor in volume. Can you sell 25 to 50 a year? Are these new sales or are they parasitic, meaning you just lost out on the sale of a 196 at $35K? Might not be worth it if you need sell 2500 boats a year.

Can a independent shop do it on a custom basis? Now you need to make molds, create an infrastructure, raise capital, source parts and materials, find distribution/dealerships, market from scratch on top of every thing else the established manufacturer would have to do. I'd guess you'd be into it for $250K before you sold your first boat. That is quiet a gamble.

That said, Donzi still sells the Sweet 16 and 18. But they sure as hell are not $20K...

-------------

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 11:31pm
Steve, I guess nothings ever simple. Back in the 90's there seemed to be a couple start up companies making low priced boats, and Correct Craft did try it, as well as Malibu. No ones doing it now, so I guess that says it all. I think Gekko was bought out or folded recently and they had a $20k boat just last year.

I guess what it comes down to is in a good economy, $50k doesn't seem like a lot of money. In a poor economy, it is a S load of money. Either way, if you can't go first class, you got to stay home.

About 8-10 years ago I think Donzi was selling a Sweet 16 for about $15k with a V6.

-------------

Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 11:40pm
I am sure nautique has thought of some of these things. They have to make sure that the sales of a new product don't hurt their existing products (self cannibalization). I don't think they should reproduce old boats, that is what makes all the vintage boats on this website so cool, they are hard to get. Everyone on this website knows they are driving the best boat. CC needs to find a way to let other people out there know that Nautique is the best investment when purchasing a new boat. Nautiques have better upholstery, stronger engines, the BEST resale value. I think CC needs to tell people these things. I know they just came out with a training program for the staff in Orlando. I think a training program for dealers would help too. At a good note I just read that nautiques market share has grown in the last month and they also sold a lot more tow boats than any other company last month. While they have had a hard time with the current economy they are not struggling as much as others in the boating world.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: January-28-2009 at 11:43pm
Here's what I have seen before with a family owned,local boat builder. Switzer Boats had been in the area for many years building quality ,fast outboard, and I/O boats like these- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-Switzer-Mercury-Outboard-Boat-Motor-Trailer-T145111_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1308Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem250350410201QQitemZ250350410201QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats - original Switzer boat They then in the '80s or early '90s sold the company,and it was moved to another area. The company than started making these- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/switzer-power-boat_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem170297455009QQitemZ170297455009QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats - newer Switzers and went national, my Dad remembers seeing them at the Miami boat show. Just another go fast boat competing with the likes of Donzi or Fountain.They went along for a few years then disappeared. As I understand it,one of the brothers still builds boats in Florida,and the other restores the models he used to build right here in Crystal Lake, in part of the old factory. I for one will never buy a new Correct Craft, but I hate to see something bad happen to a once proud company in the name of profit. We've seen it all before-AT&T,Marshall Field,Banana Republic etc.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:28am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

...For starters,with todays standards,it most likely would have to be quiet..
Mike

Hells bells, Mikey, you of all folk should know that could be easily remedied, especially if a little forethought during design made <cough> allowances <ahem> for the aftermarket.

Hehehe.......get some!

Your points about remaking a classic are very valid Steve. You would have to sell a lot of them before it would start to be profitable. I personally hope that CC never brings back the old 210 hull. That hull will go down as one of the great legends of the company's existance. All in due time,of course!

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:50am
Its great to see the old classics being restored and shown just shows how well made they were.Like classic cars or airplanes its interesting to see the evolution of the sport. As things have changed I have watched different models for specific water sports. I bought my new 210 to wake surf and slalom ski
and maybe wake board too. Alot has changed since 89 I never thought I would need to buy a new boat again. It wasn't so long ago ski boats were made not to make wakes now they are made to make them larger. I certainly respect the past and look forward to the future. Its nice they are both represented here.

Posted By: MADTOWN78
Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:55am
As another aside to this discussion on the current state of CC. I went to the Madison boat show last weekend. It is not a huge show, but decent. It had representation from most other major names but oddly no correct crafts.

There is a local dealer in Madison and a few others within 60-80 miles, but still no representation. I found it very odd to say the least. Keep in mind that Madison is literally built on an Isthmus between 2 big lakes (w/ large boating communities).

I don't know much about the Madison dealer, and their lack of show did not provide any reason for me to find out anymore about them. So far I have not met a reputable CC dealer in my area. Sheisty mechanics, poor customer service, no assistance in finding parts. (Luckily thanks to this forum I learn tons...) The CC dealer scheme is definately broken in my neck of the woods and you can tell by just looking on the lakes each summer that they are not winning any new buyers here (or at least not a very big market share).

-------------
livin', lovin', lovin' livin'

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 1:07am
Originally posted by MADTOWN78 MADTOWN78 wrote:

As another aside to this discussion on the current state of CC. I went to the Madison boat show last weekend. It is not a huge show, but decent. It had representation from most other major names but oddly no correct crafts.

Sounds like Alabama. They have a good product but don't advertise it.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 1:34am
I think the CC leadership is banking on boating becoming a rich man's game down the road (when fuel prices go back up). . . so that's the market to go after. Probably a good strategy, keep it a status symbol, like Cadillac.

I talked to our local CC dealer last weekend at our show & he said he was still selling a few - there are guys out there with money.

Whatever they do, I just hope they keep doing it in the good 'ol USA!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:00am
Tim. I would love to have one of those 17'6"s they are cool as hell but they in no way are a family boat.(I dig the monocromatic white) They are tiny and ment for one reason, Slalom. The 211 as a stripper I think would be more sucessfull because it is much lager and family friendly and is a better multipuropse boat.

Anyways I would say if they were to bring back a classic, the 2001 would be the most versital. All of the other older boats are just to small for what people think of as a family boat today. All the runabouts are usually pretty huge and the wakeboard boats are like small ships. the 235 horse 6 cylinder would move a 2001 hull along just fine (mines only 240).

Im not really a fan of bringing back the classic because its a legend like 210 said. Maybe a newer design a 2002 hull or something. A legend reborn. haha. That would cost to much for a new hull design. With their cashflow status they just have to work with what they have.

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 11:10am
   I was told that the new 211 is the price point boat for CC. Basically comes stripped and is not available at all with some of the options it used to have. I wonder what the price on one of those is.It does still come w/ a tower

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: rleinen79
Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 11:40am
Originally posted by MADTOWN78 MADTOWN78 wrote:

I went to the Madison boat show last weekend. It is not a huge show, but decent. It had representation from most other major names but oddly no correct crafts.

I read in a different post that CC wasn't well represented at another boat show. At the show in Chicago a couple of weeks ago, I'm pretty sure they had one of everything. Someone else who was there might be able to correct me if I'm wrong. They definitely had a 196,206,216,211,220,210,230,and a 216v. Don't recall a 236?

Rob

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:11pm
The Louisville boat show only had one 08 220.

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:50pm
It costs alot of money for dealers to get space at a boat show. More than you would think. I don't know if the factory comps some of that or if the dealers are on their own.Maybe the Corporate office needs to look at making sure these guys can get the boats to the shows so that their products are well represented. When you factor in low attendance at shows lately,combined with lackluster sales,it's understandable that some dealers may not be able to front the thousands(sometimes tens of thousands)of dollars to set up at a show for the possibility of selling one boat if they're lucky. I doubt there are any financial institutions setting up at shows trying to sell loans for boats right now....Hahaha...

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 1:15pm
Mike, it will be interesting to see what East Coast Flightcraft has this year. Between the Fountains, Cobolts and Malibus, last year their display was huge. I'd be surprised if it's half as big. I bet NECC will be the same size as last year.

-------------

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 1:54pm
If you look at stricktly boat show floor space vs boat show boat sales, I'll bet most dealers lost this year (and a few previous).

-------------

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:58pm
If you've noticed at the big shows, the local dealers typically participate alongside the factory people. The local dealers provide the inventory support, staff etc, but I'm sure a local dealer is not footing the bill entirely at a place like McCormmick. They most likely participate on a financial basis depending on if the store is franchised or not.. Etc..

Also notice that many of the boats decked out for the shows are already sold prior to arriving, some of which deliver directly to the customer afterwards..

It is rare for any exibitor, in any show with a sizeable island display to ever pay for the cost of the booth and floor space with the profits of those said pieces being sold from the floor.

We used to rent a 50X50 foot island at McCormick for years and never paid for it at the end of a show with sales...

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 3:14pm

Tim. I would love to have one of those 17'6"s they are cool as hell but they in no way are a family boat.(I dig the monocromatic white) They are tiny and ment for one reason, Slalom.

Anyways I would say if they were to bring back a classic, the 2001 would be the most versital. All of the other older boats are just to small for what people think of as a family boat today.

Have you ever been in a 176? I have, and Id consider it to be a roomier boat than a 2001. The windshield is pushed really far forward, and its quite a bit wider- the interior is only marginally smaller than the 90+ Ski Nautique. I disagree that its only good for slalom- do you remember the "Air 176"? With a smaller footprint and similar weight as the 19' foot boats, I bet it throws a decent boarding wake.

Thats not to say that a stripped 211 wouldnt sell- but dont you think Correct Craft has thought of that?

-------------

Posted By: Madcap
Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by trbenj trbenj wrote:

Have you ever been in a 176? I have, and I'd consider it to be a roomier boat than a 2001. The windshield is pushed really far forward, and its quite a bit wider- the interior is only marginally smaller than the 90+ Ski Nautique. I disagree that its only good for slalom- do you remember the "Air 176"? With a smaller footprint and similar weight as the 19' foot boats, I bet it throws a decent boarding wake.

Absolutely agree with this. I have a 1999 176, and while I'd like a little more width when moving alongside the engine cover, it has plenty of room. The wake, while being somewhat of a compromise by current standards, throws plenty at wakeboarding speeds (even without ballast), and evens out nicely at slalom.   I have no idea if the market would support this hull again, but to me it's an ideal boat. Fast enough, handles great, strong like bull, and most of all, efficient.

-------------
'99 SN Air Tique

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 6:14pm
Tim, doesn't Kyle have one of those with a GT 40? That's a beautiful and fast boat.

-------------

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 6:36pm

Tim, doesn't Kyle have one of those with a GT 40? That's a beautiful and fast boat.

Yep- got to ride it & drive it @ NE07. Pretty darn quick ride!

-------------

Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 11:08pm
Are there any dealers participating in the green lake reunion? Seems like a great place
to show case and introduce new Nautiques and
at the same time show the roots and history of the company. Cost to dealers wound be a fraction of boat show space and you would have the advantage of being in the water. One of the reasons I bought a Nautique is the comrodity and the sense of being part of a group . The forums are great and full of info. Its the main reason I buy Harleys its nice to be part of a group.

Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 12:56am
Emergency thread jack!

Its the main reason I buy Harleys its nice to be part of a group.

Dooooood,

I hope your kidding.

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 8:56am
Hunter,

Lot's of support behind the reunions, GL in particular it goes from our members who are local to the area all the way to CC. CC has always sent 1 boat and driver (Adam W), last year Adam spent the whole day on the water teaching and pulling anyone who wanted to go, Ken Melloon and Dave Hendricks were at both reunions and brought TONS of giveaways. Dealer support has always been good as well, don't recall any dealer reps attending however.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 12:08pm
GL sounds like fun. Last year Lauderdale Lake
had a in the water boat show with 4 OR 5
New boats in the water to test. It helped a lot in seeing what each model had to offer.

Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 12:11pm

Emergency thread jack!

Its the main reason I buy Harleys its nice to be part of a group.

Dooooood,

I hope your kidding.

Mike

Doooooo you have a HD. Havvvvvvve you ever gone to a rally?

Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 12:58pm
Mike, don't question Mike's motorcycle awareness. Too many Mikes and their Bling boats!!!

-------------

Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 1:49pm

GL sounds like fun. Last year Lauderdale Lake
had a in the water boat show with 4 OR 5
New boats in the water to test. It helped a lot in seeing what each model had to offer.

We really started the reunions to get the chance for us CC-fans to meet each other, hang out, talk boats and drink beer.. It has, through the years grown with the aid of our sponsors, and interest to get together and drink more beer.

Yes, we do have envolvement from the factory and dedicated sponsors, but it is the "CC-fan" that makes these reunions what they are. We laugh, tease the liv'n crap out of each other, talk more boats, and yes, drink more beer...

We'll look forward to meeting you and yours here this summer, and a good time is basically gauranteed. Please look at it as a mini vacation with tons of your freinds who have really cool old and new boats. Just keep in mind, this is not a corporate event where you are going to get the chance to sample all the boats that CC has on the market. You will take some cool swag home, get the chance at some real nice CC and other boat related items, enjoy good food, oh and did I mention cold beer????

There will be boats from the 1950's on up and nowhere else will you see a collection of Correct Craft heritage in one place, and that includes the corporate events !!!

Bring your friends.....

Come on Spring..

Moj

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 2:07pm
Mike (nautiquehunter)
Dave (mojo) Explained the CCfan reunions very well and I'm in full agreement. It's NOT a corporate event and the desire is to keep it that way. Yes, they have representation there but it's not a "boat show" for them. If you're out looking for a boat, go to a dealer. If you want to have some fun and meet a great group of people, join us at the reunion. BTW, the new guys get to bring all the beer!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 2:09pm

What's a rally?........Bwahahahaha J/K Mike

I attend this rally everyday. Only one I've been to for the last 3 years.

I'm just poking fun at you dude. You gotta ride that bike for the RIDE itself and nothin' else. The commoraderie is just a nice side bonus.

Mojo's description of the reunion is pretty much right on. Believe me if you like to have a great time with a seemingly strange (at first) diversity of people you will love it. More fun & personal than any "bike rally" I've ever been to.

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: rleinen79
Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 3:25pm
Boat Show:

Green Lake:

Boat parade

Sunset at the Bayview

I think I like Green Lake better

Rob (See you at GL 09)

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 3:30pm

What's a rally?........Bwahahahaha J/K Mike

I attend this rally everyday. Only one I've been to for the last 3 years.

I'm just poking fun at you dude. You gotta ride that bike for the RIDE itself and nothin' else. The commoraderie is just a nice side bonus.

Mojo's description of the reunion is pretty much right on. Believe me if you like to have a great time with a seemingly strange (at first) diversity of people you will love it. More fun & personal than any "bike rally" I've ever been to.

Mike

Right on is right. Better than any group I've ever been with. And there aren't any bad manners, just kidding around.

-------------

Posted By: 66Skylark
Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 9:15pm
Hi guys,

I hope everyone is doing well.

Tim and Bruce - Thanks for the nice comments about my boat.

I imagine the 196 Nautique standard and 176 had a smaller profit margin than the other boats. I wonder how much that played a part in their relatively short production cycle. With space limited in the old factory, Im sure it made more sense to dedicate the floor space to the boats that made the company the most money.

With the increased space the new factory affords it is certainly an option for CC to squeeze a new standard 196 or new 176 into the model line as an entry level boat. Im sure it wouldnt be a high volume model, but it could find a niche.

I think a lot would depend on the MSRP.

Is there any way to cut costs during production? Example: Does it save time and money to use one color gel coat rather than spending time taping off the mold, removing and spraying a second color?

Does it save any time and/or money to use solid colored (probably white) vinyl on the seats, as opposed to sewing in colored accent panels? With piping and an embroidered logo a white interior would still look fine. And an interior with colored vinyl accents could always be an upgrade

Im sure any saving on these examples are negligible, but anything to lower the production cost.

Would a consumer buy an entry lever CC over a similarly priced I/O? Or even spend a little more than an I/O for the CC?

The CC would certainly have many advantages - better build quality and materials, resale/trade-in value, bigger motor, plus the advantages over the I/O http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/2009_brochure/index.asp?page=36 - (detailed in the 2009 brochure) .

Using a 176 hull would also attract customers who might have a size restriction on their lake and the 19'6" boat is too big.

Is there a market for such a boat? Only CC can decide that I know I'd like to see it.

Kyle

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1445" rel="nofollow - 1966 Skylark

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1976" rel="nofollow - 1998 176

MA/

Print Page | Close Window