Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Paint Schemes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Paint Schemes
    Posted: March-02-2005 at 4:15am
I was rebuilding my '63 289 last year and the paint shop gave me some grief over the paint scheme: Block/Black   Valve Covers/Red

Prior to 1966 Ford did not paint blocks "Blue" take a look at this site

http://www.galaxieclub.com/Colors.html

where did CC get that weird green paint?
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Glassic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 3:48pm
I am also working on a 312 interceptor in my '63 ski nautique. I called correct craft, to ask about block color schemes. "John" at CC customer service said that he believed CC did not paint the blocks, CC just installed what Interceptor shipped to them.

CC gave me the number for Interceptor. 586-468-0937. I called today and the woman that answered said that "Earl" was the guy to talk to, but he wasn't in the shop today. He would be in tomorrow. So, I'm going to call then.   I'll post what he has to say.

Interesting topic. You see alot of early 60's 289's and 312's painted blue.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 8:41pm
The light green was Interceptor's standard color from the 50's up thru 65 or 66, when they changed to blue for the last few years they were in production. Not knowing where to get that color anymore I think many owners have just opted for the Ford blue. I have no clue either, other than maybe that Interceptor guy previously noted above. The Holman Moody's were always blue from what I've seen. If anyone with a Chrysler wants the original turquoise engine paint used up thru about 1970 or so, you can get it from Dupli-Color, part no. 1619, which you can get thru NAPA, but they'll most likely have to order it. DupliColor calls it Chrysler green.      

ReidP
1973 Mustang

captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 9:37pm
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2005 at 3:27am
WOW! Awsome Engine! Did you do the valve covers yourself?
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Glassic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2005 at 7:33pm
I spoke with the guys at Interceptor today. The guy I talked with said that most of the early 312's and 289's were painted "Detroit Diesel Green" and were shipped that way from Interceptor to Correct Craft. Early in the mid 60's (what would that be.... 64, 65??) 289's may have been in his words "the old blue".

I searched the web and found this link:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

That site shows these colors of paint available:

DE 1618 Detroit Diesel Alpine & DE 1617 Ford Green, DE 1621 Old Ford Blue

He asked about the carbs on my engine. They are carter side draft carbs, and most of our conversation was about the problems those carbs have spilling fuel into the bilge. Nice guy, and fun to talk to.

66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2005 at 8:28pm
Original color is great for "purists", if you are going for originality, the black color is mostly for auto use. Black on cast iron dissipates heat quicker, that is ,gets rid of heat, That's why they paint wood stoves, barbecue grills, ect. black. A boat motor runs in a closed compartment, with no air flow. That's why we run water jacketed exhaust, have no radiator, and expel warmed lake water, and can paint our engines any color we like! Also many motor marinizers like Gray, Interceptor, Hollman Moody, Chrysler, Waukesha, Palmer, and others used what paint they nornally would use on every engine. I love my chrysler blue, But am going to give it up for Mercury black, the new Chevy color.
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 1:23pm
Jameski, I found the valve covers on ebay $20 and nobody else bid on them. I finished tinkering a few weeks ago, gt40p heads, I cleaned the ridges around the valve seats and ground down the valve guides under the valves and some smog humps in the exhaust ports, added a Wieand intake, Mallory unilite but returned to my pertrinix original prestolite distributor,, ebay Mallory, you can’t win all the time, it’s module was flakey.

So all is good except the spark arrester hits the hood so I’ll need to get a low profile one but I’m happy, same stock marine cam and short block
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 3:47pm
During the '60's Ford used black on the special HO blocks. High output.
Tim D
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 3:53pm
Hey Glassic, does interceptor still build marine engines?
Tim D
Glassic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 10:58pm
Tim,

I don't know if they are still building engines. But they are still in business. The number I posted above they answered the phone with "marine sales may I help you?" They might just be parts and service.

When I called to ask about the block paint color, I ended up talking to the guy for awhile about the carter side draft carbs on my 312. He advised me to take the carters off, put'em in a box and replace them with a modern carb. He said the carters would sometimes spill fuel into the bilge. Anyway... he said that I "would need a 4 barrel intake manifold and if I wanted he would look at the inventory in the shop to see if they had one."

Everyone I've talked to there, in asking about the block color, is very nice and seem to be more than willing to talk boats and engines anytime.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 12:57am
Hey 64 Skier, why is this red???
FORD RED
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 4:18am
head,

looks like that paint is new...look at the brass fitting.

Did Ford use the Y-Block on tractors? Maybe another place to run down parts...
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic