NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Nautique rebuild?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 2:26am
[QUOTE=79TiqueRebuild] Our contract is up Apr 4 @ midnight I may have the time to work on boat

Contract in what..if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like just about the same time that contract is up for my telco buddies up north.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 2:37am
AT&T & CWA Sounds like were in the same boat.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 10:40am
Good work Monty and you have wood work skills now, good to see you are now using the shelf, well earned

Keep it coming good for others.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 9:25pm
Ok did more fitting and a little plumbing work. I'm going to mark everything and start with cpes treatment.

A fiberglass book I reserved at library finally made it to me. After looking at it I'm more confused than ever. It says to have rigid plastic foam pad under the bulkhead and other areas so you don't have hard spots. I was thinking that the wood parts should fit as close as possible and then be glued down with that mat and a thick mixture of epoxy or peanut butter.I know its back through the patch and WBTS and others. Did I miss something I remember several comments that CC set the stringers on foam pads. Was that the norm back then and things are done different now?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 10:37pm
Monty,
Your ok! Notice they say "rigid" Plastic foam. I don't know exactly what they are referring to but it's something to take up the minor gaps between the wood and the hull. The key word rigid means the wood doesn't move in relationship to the hull and thats exactly what you have done with your project. You could even call the resin, mat and peanut butter a "rigid plastic".

BTW, it's looking good!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 11:37pm
Monty,
Were you able to find the original red and black outdoor carpet? If so, I'd like to know where you bought it. I have an '80 that looks very much like your boat. Mine is approaching a re do.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2009 at 12:38am
Thanks Pete I've had sick feeling all day after looking through that book. I think I'll follow this sites lead.
Rick, I haven't found any carpet yet. The carpet I removed from the floor looked similar but was the indoor-outdoor type astro grass? I will let you know if I come up with something though.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2009 at 9:26am
Cool, someone still using a library! What's the copyright on the book?

I have a couple of books on fiberglass and that rigid foam trick isn't in either.

Super nice job on the dry fit!!!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2009 at 10:59pm
Hey I waited 8 weeks to get that book 2nd edition 3rd printing 1988. Our library didn't have a lot to choose from on fiberglass repair. Not too bad of music selection though and sometimes some decent books on cd's for those trips to the lake.
I want to re staple some of the seats. does anybody what kind and size staples are best and where to get them? Thanks, Monty
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 12:09am
Monty,
I have done my seats twice in the twenty plus years that I have owned the boat. The drivers seat takes a beating with the beading that is stitched into the seat. Wet skiier sits down to drive and the thread rots.Water runs down through the foam , the plywood delaminates and the star nuts no longer have anything to bite into. Best results have been Westing the plywood base completely and securing the upholstery with 3/8" stainless staples. You might have to use 1/2" on the corners where the material piles up. At Home Depot the "Arrow"stainless or monel staples are wrapped with a bullet proof tape to prevent pilfery. To the best of my knowledge stainless is available only in 1/2" width staples.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2009 at 10:11pm
I've been working on various items such as the seats I got them re-stapled and replaced some bolts with ss.
Followed the link on swim platform maintenance. It really helped mine I have a couple of steps left.

I finally applied cpes to my stringers that seems like some very good stuff.However I can't remember where I read how many coats to apply.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2009 at 10:56pm
Monty,
Keep putting the CPES sealer on first coat until it won't absorb anymore. Then the next day after it's "kicked" (solvent evaporated and the thermal has cured the epoxy) give it one more coat. Then your good to go with the next step - normal epoxy layup on the stringers. The CPES is great stuff!!!

What's the picture of the platform? did you put CPES on it too?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2009 at 12:06am
No but I did wonder if that would work? I have just been following that wet sand and teak oil process. The more coats of teak oil the longer it takes to dry.
I've been holding off ordering my fiberglass materials till our contract gets settled we've been 3 weeks now on an expired contract. Just happy we are still working. But can't really justify spending money on the boat till we settle Thanks, Monty
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2009 at 12:45am
Monty,
It was just confusing with your posting a picture of your platform in the middle of your CPES/stringer project!! Keep going as it really looks like you've got the basic idea on the stringers down. Fantastic!!

Keep the CPES to the stringers and off the Teak. The stuff (Teak) is so oily that no "finish" really performs. Some (like the Epifanes )will last for a season and then fail. Stick with a oil and look for a synthetic. I do not honestly know of any finish for Teak that works better than a oil type.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2009 at 1:17am
Thanks. Pete
Sorry for the confusion on the post I went back and tried to straighten out.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2009 at 2:06am
Ah the don't fully bed the stringers school of boat repair rears its head..

That is not all nonsense they are talking in that book, however I wouldnt let it phase you. For the most part your hull is relatively thick and you dont run your boat on rocks and your trailer is full bunk and well constructed so the bunks are located correctly in relation to the stringes. Additionally your hull will have foam so an acute flexing by the stringers is not very likely.

If you need to fix a sailboat or a racing boat give me a call and we will talk about foam bedding teckniques. Anyone who read my 83 floor thread closely might note some of the adjustments I made to eliminate the foam.... extra hull reinforcement on the stringers well tapered so as to not create a stress concentration, and the additional supports I used were not bedded and much less layering was used to attach them. All overkill but I like overkill...

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2009 at 3:02am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Ah the don't fully bed the stringers school of boat repair rears its head..

That is not all nonsense they are talking in that book, however I wouldnt let it phase you. For the most part your hull is relatively thick and you dont run your boat on rocks and your trailer is full bunk and well constructed so the bunks are located correctly in relation to the stringes. Additionally your hull will have foam so an acute flexing by the stringers is not very likely.

If you need to fix a sailboat or a racing boat give me a call and we will talk about foam bedding teckniques. Anyone who read my 83 floor thread closely might note some of the adjustments I made to eliminate the foam.... extra hull reinforcement on the stringers well tapered so as to not create a stress concentration, and the additional supports I used were not bedded and much less layering was used to attach them. All overkill but I like overkill...

Joey I don´t know whats wrong here but the search sometimes gets fuzzy ....can you give a link to your post on the stringer job...I might go with no foam and need to see some pics of the set up...just to get and idea...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2009 at 12:17am
After waiting since April, We finally have a contract and received my order from US composites.They pack the mate3rials very good I might add.
But they only ship you what you order. I overlooked cabosil so whats another week.

I Started by bedding the rudder port base.

Then tried a main stringer one thing I found is that at first I didn't mix the epoxy thick enough. I was worried it would setup too quick. Ha Ha
After mixing it thicker I still had some ooze out on steep angles but I found a sheet of wax paper helped hold it in.

The holidays and a head cold got me of past my 24 hour window so I guess I will have to wash down with soap and water. Is there any particular kind of soap to use and do I just rinse with a wet rag and towel dry?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2009 at 9:09am
I used a little dish soap in water. The blush isn't hard to remove, but it can be easy to miss a spot. It's easier to feel than to see!

Edit-Looks like you did a nice job on the rudder port. Bear in mind though, that glass doesn't like sharp corners.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2009 at 9:54am
Monty, great to here your news and now back on the boat ,like the diving belt as a weight, not sure how cold it is round your way but Greg rigged up gutter from the drain plug under the boat to the yard drain so he could use a hose to rinse off.

Keep the pictures coming looks like there are a few 70s boats in rebuild.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 9:18pm
Good to hear you finally got a contract Monty,that was a long time. We got ours in a couple of months if I remember right,but it did make the summer uncertain. I can't imagine waiting 9,and basically putting your life on hold. Good luck on the boat,looking good so far.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 2:13am
Thanks Gary I hope this is my last.We'll see what happens in the next 4 years.

Got to do some more work on the boat.I got drivers main bedded down.
I used the dishsoap and water to wipe clean my expired work.
I am starting to understand about the rounded edges.Live and learn.
Thanks Greg

Roger, How many gallons of epoxy before I get hooked?
One thing that concerns me is how well the epoxy will bond to the pvc pipe
I plan on using for my air ducts. I really like your glassed duct work.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 10:19am
Hi Monty, I used 6 pack of 6 L west system (9.5 US gallons) to build and set my stringers only, but the cost of west was so high then took Pete’s advice and looked around over here for something else and found Sicomin Epoxy who sell trade drums of 43kg with hardener (around 11.5 US gallons) at half the cost of west.

If using pvc pipe for ducting would seal up with 3M 5200 looks to be the best.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 10:30am
Monty like the pictures of your new work and see you have added a notch for a pylon timber to fit into,that should hold it well,a good idea on pre cradle boats.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 12:56am
Well I have been making progress on the boat. Not near as fast as some of the others doing their stringer/floors. Finally got to a point to pull it off the stands and move it outside to grind the lip of the floor that I left for a guide. 3 more hours of grinding!!

I have some questions on the battery box. Should it be epoxied to the hull? Did the door for it have hinges?

I have decide to use foam up in the air-box and around the battery box between the bulkheads.
Should I brace the inside of the battery box until the foam sets? I don't want it bowing in the sides. What do you guys think about building a temporary form with plastic on the bottom to keep the foam level and in the area I want it? I would like to keep the skin on the top and not have to cut it. A couple pictures of my progress so far. Monty

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 9:13am
Monty I found with the foam I used as long as you have blow/fill holes around 3inch in size well spread over your cover board you should be OK, but the foam has some power when its going off so some supports in the battery box would be a good idea, as for setting the battery box you could pop some screws from the top of your cover board into the flange around the box if no flange epoxy some tabs to fix to then after you foam unscrew to remove the cover board.

Think its best you play with the foam first to see how much it expands, when I made my block of foam first time it lifted the lid with a 28lb on it, second time less foam and 56 lb on the lid it just held this was with no blow holes.

Keep your shop nice a warm when you do foam to get the max out of the foam and for long time after it set or you will have sink back, also watch the vapors as its not good to breath in.

Great work on what I can see Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 10:27am
Monty,
Have you purchased pour in foam? Injection kits are available that come with nozzles that you can put a nozzle extension on the end. A 12" piece of 1/4" I.D. poly or nylon tubing works great. I've injected quite alot of foam this way.

Even though I'm pretty much in favor of going no foam, I've always favored the injection rather than pour in method of foaming. Yes it does develope pressure like Roger stated so practice is needed. If you do inject, start filling the back side of the cavities first, move to the next cavity and then come back. Injection foam
A 3" hole isn't needed with the injection. All to really need is a hole large enough to get the nozzle extention in and have the ability to move it to the back sides of the cavities.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 12:47pm
Nice pics and work! Forgive me if I missed it, but what kind of lumber are you using around the pylon? I can't decide if I want to use solid wood or plywood there, but leaning towards ply. I believe 2 layers of 5/8ths were original to my boat so it was really thick. Since plywood has layers running in different directions, it would offer strength in different directions. I could see solid wood cracking from one week spot in the board. I also plan to foam the bow around the hoses. Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 3:24pm
Looking good. My plan is to pour foam with the floor top open. I'm going to experiment with it to see how much I need to pour at a time. I'm lining my compartments that will get foam, with plastic sheeting. The foam will essentially be a free floating block shaped to the compartment, as I will remove the sheeting once I'm done. US Composites said I can pour the foam in multiple layers, also. With that being said, my plan is to pour less than I think I need and if I end up needing more, I'll add another layer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 1:26am
Thanks for the pointers guys.That injectable foam looks great. I was not going to foam but I feel in these areas it will help support the air and cable ducts and battery box.I feel it will be sealed good enough water won't get in. I had already ordered the pourable kind of foam should be here Thursday. I will probably tarp and put a heater in the boat to raise the temperature while I pour and while it cures. My pour will probably be a multi layer pour also I'll make a mess for sure.
Keegan, I used a 2x8 Douglas fir for my pylon support but tied it in to both primaries and secondaries. Then am going with 3/4 exterior plywood with mat on both sides Epoxied down and 3 layers of tape on all joints. Monty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic