NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new 2001 and my first!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 23>
Author
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 10:36pm
This motor came from Fl so it has not been below freezing this year. How long has it been out the boat ?

Get as much water out as you can find and keeping it in the garage with doors closed should be ok for now. Might want to put a bit of anti-freeze in it for the rest of the winter.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 11:34pm
Thats the boat I was talking about! I think I read that it was re-done by a guy who worked at correct craft for many years. I also saw pictures of it weighted down for surfing. It was so severely weighted it looked like the gas overfill was submerged. As I remember, it was a pretty controversial picture at the time.

Hollywood, I saw those exhaust hoses too! Would that be a safety issue?

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 11:42pm

This one

I'm going to guess at seven ballast bags in that pic.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 12:38am
Heres another cool 82-83

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 12:42am
Thats the one!

Is that a moomba decal on the back of that boat? Looks pretty close!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 12:58am
I could only find one drain plug on the right side of the engine. This one:

Do I have to take out this sensor to drain the other side? There is no plug but this is in the same place as the plug on the other side?

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 1:06am
That is correct. Remove that sensor for draining that side of the block. I did not see that sensor earlier. duhhhh.
Try to catch that water to and let sit if it looks like it has oil in it.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 1:34am
Akabulla - If your looking to see if the water is oily, put some salt in it, shake it up good, then let it set. The oil will separate out.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 2:11am
I took it out and I am going to let the water sit overnight. The PO emailed me back and said that the engine was taken out of the other boat a few years back and he thinks it is just sediment in the water. We will find out tomorrow but it doesn't smell like oil and my hands cleaned off WAY to easy
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 2:33am
Black disgusting water is actually the norm out of cast iron after sitting for a while, oil on the other hand is usually distinctive. So dark is not an issue, if its got real oil and its ever run before for a any amount of time thats an issue.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 11:33am
Hollywood, I've seen that boat quite a few times & i have never noticed those exhaust hoses until you pointed it out. Wow! all that time into a custom 'resto' & decided to skip that part?

That's sweet you've gotten the hull & all those parts, should be able to make a pretty sweet combination 80's 2001 with modern touches.

But just a hint... don't ever weigh your boat down like that guy in the picture... I remember seeing that a couple years back & he got flamed pretty hardcore...not smart.

Best of Luck,

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 11:39am
over here in the Brunstuck we would stick those pipes straight up and put som ran clappers on em
"the things you own will start to own you"
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 1:24pm
Yeah Eric, and I'll bet they're chromed too LOL
Nice and shiny
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 2:34pm
More than a ski nautique I would call that boat under that load an U-nautique!!!
sorry for the lame joke but it had to be said
ahahaha
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 3:19pm
Unique Nautique?
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 3:53pm
"underwater-nautique" as german U boat designation U-1 etc.....
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 5:16pm
You guys ever seen the movie "Das Boot"... If you'd seen it Eric, you would know a U-Boot...
Das Boot
The correct term for U-Boot is "Unterwasser-Boot" in German
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 5:36pm
Thats right Kristof!!! excelent movie...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 5:41pm
i think they are more familiar with the U-571 hollywood movie!!!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 7:34pm
You guys are a trip!

My windshield purchase from Florida fell through. Does anyone know about a one piece shield for sale?
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 10:55pm
Well I got all the parts out of the boat and sorted them all out. Not sure what I am going to do with 6 lift points but I am sure I can figure something out.

Ok, Here is my first question of my rebuild.

The guy gave me the engine cradle for both the original 351 and the one that the PCM 330 was mounted in. The PCM 330 cradle as you can see in the picture is much wider than the old cradle. Question is: Should I use the original or should I make the new stringers wider and use the newer one? Seems to me the stringers would be to wide to fit the new cradle and might hurt the structural integrity of the 2001 Hull. It is almost as wide as the secondary stringers.

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 11:48pm
The 330 cradle looks exactly like the cradle in my 89 2001, and the 90 onwards 196's

I have asked the question to my comments below before, but not having had replace the floor in the 89 yet I cannot answer.

The 89 stringers are wider spaced than the 82-88 2001's with the same hull. I would investigate how the 89's stringer system's are constructed and possibly recreate.? They may or may not have a secondary stringer system. I know the 90's 196's do, bot they are a wider boat.

Only issue you will have is the lack of templates to use as your guide.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 12:11am
I think I could probably figure out a template to make it work. I don't have a clue what I am doing anyways so whats the worst that could happen

That's what I have you guys for

If I make the stringers wider, I think my concern would be the height of the main stringers. The height of the secondary stringers towards the ski pole connection are not that tall so it seems if I make the main stringers wider they might not have enough height to include the needed strength for the hull.

I posted something at the2001.com to see if anyone had a picture of the stringers in an 89. I couldn't find a pic of someone rebuilding their stringers of an 89 here but if anyone has the dimensions or the width then I could start to determine if I could go wider.

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 12:48am
Aka - Can you get the 33's motor mounts to squeeze into your old cradle? Look for how much L-R adjustment you would have.   I think this is why they coined to term 'shoehorn' for engine swaps.

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 12:11pm
Aka, there was someone who rebuilt an '89 on here- though I dont think they shared any pictures. Check my partial stringer thread and see what their username is.

If youre going to use the newer motorbox, I would lean towards using the wider stringer set up, as you know it will be wide enough to cover the cradle. The advantage of the newer cradle is the the mounts arent lag bolted to the tops of the stringers- theyre through bolted to the angle brackets on the cradle. Not sure how you would go about lining up the exhaust holes, though- 89+ ran the exhaust between the main stringers instead of outside of them. Another concern is the shaft log angle- the newer boats (97+) use a shallower angle than the older ones. Make sure you adjust your stringer height as necessary to accomodate this.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 2:29pm
It seems there would still need to be some sort of structure under the mounts of the new cradle. Looking at the picture below there are bolts that go through the top but there are also holes for bolts to go in side of the engine mounts. Wouldn't the mounts try to lean inward if it didn't have support on the sides like it does on this temporary stand?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

It seems there would still need to be some sort of structure under the mounts of the new cradle. Looking at the picture below there are bolts that go through the top but there are also holes for bolts to go in side of the engine mounts. Wouldn't the mounts try to lean inward if it didn't have support on the sides like it does on this temporary stand?

Nope- thats the factory set up, at least from '90 forward. Notice there are only vertical bolts on my tranny mount in this pic:

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 3:11pm
That is kind of hard to see so I put arrows on it...

No bolt in the bottom hole by the lower arrow.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 3:18pm
AKA - The twisting force you described is minimized because the downward forces are the same on both sides of the engine. My '89 has the newer cradle.

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

AKA - The twisting force you described is minimized because the downward forces are the same on both sides of the engine.

I dont know about that. The torque of the motor is equal on both sides, but opposite. If youre just talking about the weight of the motor, then youre correct. Long story short, either cradle is more than strong enough to withstand both the weight and torque of these motors (probably by a multiple of 2 and then some). Either *might* work, though I would imagine the Excal mounts are a sure bet to line up to the Excal cradle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 23>
  Share Topic