Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What should i do? engine blues...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MorganLarson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganLarson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should i do? engine blues...
    Posted: January-06-2009 at 4:35am
I failed my first test at winter. There are two small cracks in the block of my Chrysler 318 on my 68' correct craft. I'm considering a re-build or a new engine. Any suggestions? What engine should i buy and from who?

thanks
Morgan
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 8:19am
Morgan,
Considering the age of your boat, I need to state my opinion to keep it original and do something with the 318. A rebuild is certainly a option if the engine shows signs of wear. Do you know the condition of the engine?

On the least expensive side and depending on where the cracks are, I've seen some decent brazing still holding after many years of service!

What did you forget to drain?

Have you just found us or just new to posting? Ether way, welcome. How about some pictures and what model boat is it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 11:46am
Pete, we missed you, and I would like to remind you that December 21st, 2012 is coming quickly...you never can have enough time to prepare
"the things you own will start to own you"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 4:52pm
Yeaaaaa a mopar:). You have lots of options with the mopar. 318 blocks are easy to find plentiful in supply and cheap. I baught a 360 block from a local machine shop for 30 bucks.

Any 318 block will work in your application between 1967 and 1989ish.

Pete wont like me for this but you could swap for a 360 the only difference is the right side(from the front) motor mount is just a little further back than the 318. Sorry Pete:) haha.

If you are looking for cheap power with the 318 go with flat top pistions and some 340 or 360 heads, 4BBL intake and it will be like a totally different boat.

If your somewhat mechanically inclined assymbling the motor yourself will be fun and save you lots of $$$$$$$$.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 5:01pm
Morgan,
Have to agree with Zach on the availability of the 318 blocks. If you search on ebay, you will find a bunch.

Is yours a 318 Poly head ?

I am currently putting my 318 Poly head back together and would like to agree with Pete that it should be kept close to original. Reid will even be able to help you with the correct color paint to order... as can I now..

You may want to tear it down to get a levelset on where your are as far a wear. You may be able to pick up another 318 block, and just use all the internals that you already have.

Good luck,
   Roger   
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 5:10pm
it could be a poly motor but the last year they were used in a passenger car was 66. The company that maranized the engine may have had a surpluss of poly motors. The good think about the original look of the engine is that unless you look at the casting numbers on a mopar you cant tell what it is from the outside.(that being on the la motors not the poly.) 360's have a slightly different vibration dampner due to being externally balanced.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 12:33am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Yeaaaaa a mopar:). You have lots of options with the mopar.

............ you could swap for a 360 the only difference is the right side(from the front) motor mount is just a little further back than the 318.

Zach, First off , Im not by any means a Mopar guru, but I think you might also have trouble putting the 318 marine oil pan back on the 360?

Only reason I think this is, I bought a 68 Barracuda last spring. It was an original 318, but now has a transplanted 360.   When looking at the boat, I noticed the marine oil pan had a horizontal weld-line all the way around it.

I was told that the 318 and the 360 had different size mains?/and they had to graft the bottom of the 318(marine) pan to the top of the 360 pan.

Does this sound right?

BTW, It is an AWESOME setup....with a 12-16 wheel, it cruises around 2 to 22 hundred R's, and is good on fuel( until you kick the 4bbl in .... ) Plus it runs in the 50mph range..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 1:33am
Your right 62. The pan wont fit because the 360 has larger mains/caps than a 318. You could how ever with no modification at all transplant a 340. They are identical other than the crank and bore but a little more pricey because of their muscle car use.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 8:19am
Zach,
I have nothing against engine internal mods!!! I've mentioned it before that it's really the outside visuals that matter. The most common "upgrade" with classic boats is turning a 283 Chris marinization into a 350. There really isn't a ACBS judge around that will be able to tell unless he wants to get the wrench's out!!

Good point on the difference between the 340 and 360.

Steve, interesting oil pan modification! Guess they went the easy way without having any luck finding a 360 oil pan. I'm surprised because there are lots of 360 marines out there.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
O-Town Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 9:06pm
But I have good news on a 360 swap! It is a pan adaptor... I sent this to Reid but will post it here on a mopar thread
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-318%2F340-to-360-oil-pan-spacer._W0QQitemZ270325645791QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090104?IMSfp=TL0901041110007r5849

http://stores.ebay.com/Liuzzo-Brothers-Racing

The links are acting up for some reason..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 9:11pm
The 360 might have a bigger rear main cap but the groove for the seal area is smaller than a 318's. For cheap money that spacer makes the 318 pan work on a 360!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 9:16pm
You would also have to get the engine balanced with the flywheel and spring plate bolted on it because 360's are externally balanced or have the flywheel balanced to the motor. When I had my motor internally balanced it was around 50 extra dollars well spent because I can now run any type of neutral balance flywheel, flexplate, or torque converter.

The 318 or 340 will probably be the easier choice in this application if he isnt mechanically inclined.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 9:21pm
Or find a 360 flywheel. I almost sure that they are the same as the auto ones....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 1:24am
The weight to be removed totals 19.79 oz Keep in mind that this is for the pre magnum engine. if you wanted to use a newer 360 magnum the balance weight is different .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic