Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Hoist

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Hoist
    Posted: November-06-2008 at 10:50pm
Will a automotive engine hoist lift raise the engine high enough to clear the side of the boat. 92 SN
I need to remove the engine
and tranny to do the stringers.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 1:16am
Probably, depending on the trailer, might be as bad as you need to remove tires and lower one side. Tandem trailer would also make it a little more iffy..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Roachie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:06am
I rented an automotive engine hoist to pull my engine last weekend and it worked great. I did take the boat off the trailer and set it on stands before doing anything. You may want to take it off the trailer anyway if you're replacing stringers.
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 12:32am
This is a pic of my 66 cuda at Reid's when I bought it in NC. We dropped the left tire on the trailer to set the engine in place.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 12:47am
Steve are those snaps on the deck for a cover? Can you imagine buying a new boat and dropping it off to a cover shop.If that happened I'd go thru the roof.I'm sure you've seen pic's of Bruce's nice Mustang,it looks like they put down the side!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 1:09am
Gary,
Yep...cover snaps... My 62 wooden Higgins also had 'em (in the side of the hull).

btw, all WILL be removed from both projects before re-finishing..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 9:15am
FWIW-I bought my lift years ago based on price, and found out later that some are better than others. If I had known, I would've spent a bit more to start.

Here's what I mean...both wheels come off and the swing axle has to be pinnined so the lift can go under the rear drop axle. With the lift as high as I can go w/o denting a valve cover, I get almost an inch over the side.

It's even closer setting it in place...

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 9:16am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Gary,
Yep...cover snaps... My 62 wooden Higgins also had 'em (in the side of the hull).

btw, all WILL be removed from both projects before re-finishing..

Steve,
At least with the wood you can enlarge the snap holes and fill so they look like bungs!

The snaps were very popular at one time. I should have kept count on all of them I used way back in my years at Watercraft. None on wood thought!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic