Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shifter Knob

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shifter Knob
    Posted: February-16-2005 at 11:24am
I'm going to replace the shifter knob on my 87 SN. What is the best way to get this off without damaging the shifter??? I thought it just screwed off, but if it does mine must be really stuck on there good. I couldn't budge it. Any idea's??? TJ
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2005 at 2:48pm
I was under the impression they where held on by a set screw?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2005 at 3:20pm
Maybe a set screw with a small allens wrench head.
Tim D
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2005 at 10:19pm
Mine has a brass threaded insert in the white knob, of course mine is a 39 year old Morse control. I always thought it would be cool to find an eight ball from one of those minature pool table sets, and use that!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2005 at 10:01am
An 8-ball shifter knob would be kinda hot in the summer baking all day don't you think????
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2005 at 11:05am
I'm going to try and take it off on saturday when i pull some other maintenance in the garage. I just don't want to damage my morse shifter in the process. If anybody has any idea's let me know. TJ
Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2005 at 11:32pm
If you are interested in a custom shift knob check out.

www.flameball.com

If you can measure the thread they can custom make it for you, I have one on my 76 nautique.

Rob
plattebum2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plattebum2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2005 at 12:49pm
My 85 2001 screwed off.
The knob was pretty weathered and I bought a new replacement from Morse. The replacement had no character.
I grabbed a 3/8 bolt about 3" long , cut off the head, put the shank in my 3/8 drill, and screwed the threaded end in my original knob.
Crank up the power with some sandpaper , steel wool and some Tru-Oil for gunstocks.
WOW !! 3-4 Coats spinning the Tru-Oil on with your finger at a slow speed. Good as new.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2005 at 4:07am
I'm going to see if I can get mine off tomorrow Plattebum and give that a try. I thought that the wood was stained and polyurethaned? Would that work? I just want to restore the finish if I can get it off without destroying the shifter, it's weathered bad. TJ
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2005 at 9:40am
I did mine last winter. Mine was also weathered baddly. I put it in my drill press at a very high speed and sanded it down with very coarse sandpaper (46 grit). After I finally got the weathered wood off, I sanded it smooth with finer sandpaper. Then I sprayed it with about 10 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane by Minwax (from Wal-Mart). I didn't use any stain, but the wood grain really looks great with the clear urethane. I expect it will continue to shine like a glass ball for years.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jcawley3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcawley3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2005 at 1:35am
my 86 just screws off it was really hard the first time
97 sport View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 97 sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2005 at 9:35pm
I refinshed mine last winter. It just unscrews off. Right hand thread. Maybe you can support the shifter with a pair of non marring pliers then use a strap wrench on the knob?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2005 at 12:40am
I think you should cut it off with a hack saw, and get a white one. A dark brown, wooden one would be kinda hot baking all day in the summer don't ya think?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2005 at 10:54am
I tried getting it off yesterday, it just won't budge. I'm going back down to the lake this comming weekend and I'll give it another try with a strap wrench. I bought a cheap one from Harbour Freight. It doesn't have a set screw, I did check that out. I can't believe it's on there that tight, unless the prior owner put some glue on the threads or something like that....    TJ
I like the drill press idea, I have access to one of those!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2005 at 3:24pm
TJ, go to www.kanolabs.com, they make a wonderful product called Kroil. It is a creeping oil that gets into a 1 millionth inch space. I've used it for years, it works great, but smells to high heavens!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2005 at 8:46pm
Be careful torquing on the knob, It has a threaded insert that is knurled on the outside, and pressed into the wood, then screwed onto the control lever. Too much force, and you'll just remove the knob from the insert!!! Patience Grasshopper...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2005 at 11:24pm
66poly, Thanks! I work in a flight department and we have lots of Kroil. I'll give it some this weekend and maybe a few light taps ith a rubber mallet too. It stinks, but works well!
And the shifter knob dilemma goes on.....
TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2005 at 11:52am
66Poly. Got the knob off, destroyed it with the strap wrench. Time for a new one. thanks
hotwife View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotwife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2005 at 4:20pm
Sorry you destroyed your knob! This has been a very entertaining post to follow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2005 at 11:07pm
Sorry about the knob. Don't forget to put alittle anti-seize on the threads before screwing the new one on!
workky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2005 at 12:18am
mine just screwed off,i have an 8 ball shifter.which i dont care for to much.it was there when i bought it(84 nautique)
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2005 at 10:16pm
20 posts for getting a ball off? Someone must have used super glue.

I've got a white 4speed sifter knob, fits my hand nice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2005 at 9:33am
It appeared to be super glued on. I destroyed the wooden portion trying to remove the ball with a strap wrench, and then I lost patience. I removed the remaining threaded insert with a large pair of vice grips. All that's left is to order up a new knob from Discount Inboard Marine!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic