Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a history....

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a history....
    Posted: September-27-2008 at 8:39pm
of the CC boats. I've been looking thru the fan but I haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm curious about the progression of the Mustang ie from 16 to 16.5 to 17 feet, when they started foaming the floors,when they stpped with wood seats, if they all have removable floors- well you get the point. Also curious about the Nautique and Martinique relationship?
I tried reading the brochures but I have a hard time seeing the writing and of course not all the brochures have been collected yet.
I see lots of knowledgeable Mustang owners on here so maybe the info is here and I just haven't found it.
Thanks
Doug
70 Mustang project
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 2:25am
Doug, it's late and I've partaken, probably like a number of other participants here, but I promise you we can answer just about all the questions you've posed in the next day or two. Stay tuned.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

of the CC boats. I've been looking thru the fan but I haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm curious about the progression of the Mustang ie from 16 to 16.5 to 17 feet, when they started foaming the floors,when they stpped with wood seats, if they all have removable floors- well you get the point. Also curious about the Nautique and Martinique relationship?
I tried reading the brochures but I have a hard time seeing the writing an d ofcourse not all the prochures have been collected yet.
I see lots of knowledgeable Mustang owners on here so maybe the info is here and I just haven't found it.
Thanks
Doug

The Mustang went from the 16'1" hull to the 16'5" hull in 1971. That 16'5" hull was also used on the Skier, and later the Ski Tique. The 17' Mustang hull debuted in '74, and they produced both the Mustang 16 and Mustang 17 through '75, I believe. '68 was the last year for the wood seat bases, as they went to the aluminum brackets in '69. Im not sure when they started using foam under the floor, but if I had to wager a guess, Id say 1966. I believe the removable floor youre referring to is the fiberglass floor pan, which was only used in the 1st gen Mustangs, though Im not sure which years.

The Martinique used the same hull as the Ski Nautique in the 70's. The main difference between them was the trim- interior configuration, dash, windshield, etc.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 1:59am
I have a 68, and have aluminum seat bases that mount on rails on the floor. I assume they are original.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 8:56am
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I have a 68, and have aluminum seat bases that mount on rails on the floor. I assume they are original.

At first I thought I could put together a history of the Mustang but quickly learned that it isn't like cars where there is all kinds of info. Now I'm realizing that its further confusing because the boat manufacturers all seemed to do midyear changes. From looking at the diary it looks like the seat change happened during 68.

Thanks Reid and Tim- that is info I hadn't narrowed down.
Maybe this winter I can put something together with pictures for us newbys and I'll run it by you guys for additions and corrections!!! before it gets posted
Doug
70 Mustang project
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 11:31am
Doug, I think a guide that points out all the model year changes would be great!

Mike, great point on the seat bases- and it doesnt surprise me that CC made a change midyear. Lots of inconsistencies back then.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 11:44am
In the reference section, the '65 Classic lists foam as an option, so 66 seems like a reasonable year that they would have made it standard.

I think the floor pans started in 1968 on the Mustangs.
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 12:16pm
Riley- thats a sweet Mustang-does it have a fixed wood floor over foam?
70 Mustang project
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 1:05pm
I have a 66 Mustang (in resto mode)and the foam was all removed over the weekend. The front seats are gone. The rear seat has a wood base. My wonderful fiance removed the stringers yesterday. Gas tank is in great condition and still has the name (of which I can't remember) on it.
A compilation of Mustang history would be wonderful. I too, am learning as I go. And this site, along with the knowledgeable people on it is a great reference!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 1:23pm
Another apparent mid year change with the 66 mustangs was the deck. There are 19 66 mustangs in the diaries (one duplicate) Of the 19, 13 have a flat deck, 5 have the large molded in vent (4 of which have vent screens and one of which is solid for some reason) There is one which I cant see the deck.

Its odd that neither style appears to represent the change to the next year style as both kinds of decks are present on the 67s (8 with molded in vents, 2 without)

I seem to recall reading on here once (Bruce??) that there was no distinction between 66 and 67 model years, supported by the fact that both years used the same brochure. Am I recalling that correctly?

As far as the wood base for the back seat, that is either another change or a customer fix, as our 66 had a fiberglass base for the back seat. Our 66 also had the fiberglass floor.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The Martinique used the same hull as the Ski Nautique in the 70's. The main difference between them was the trim- interior configuration, dash, windshield, etc.

Another difference between the Martinique and the SN was the lack of tracking fins on the Martinique.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 1:40pm
75 Tique,

the rear seat in the boat is foam with a sheet of wood underneath and there is a molded fiberglass sheet that wraps around the base to the top of the seat.What were your front seats like? I'll check out the diaries section again. It amazes me how different they are. Ours has drink holders? behind where the windshield is supposed to be.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 1:54pm
Unfortunately this is the only photo of our mustang. (no that is not me in the speedo) You can see a little section of
fiberglass base for the rear seat. The front seats were constructed around wood frames. Oh, and no cup holders.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 1:56pm
well you can bank on the drink holders not be orginal.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

Riley- thats a sweet Mustang-does it have a fixed wood floor over foam?

Thanks. The gel coat has barely any scratches.

The floor was plywood over foam. There's a picture of the floor system in the 66 brochure that looks just like what I had. I am doing the floor over, but am not going to use any foam.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 2:09pm
Hmmm I attached a few pictures. These were taken before we brought it home. Any input welcome other than the "you are going to be busy comment".

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 2:14pm
75 tique,
wow, sorry about the pictures (big). Your mustang was beautiful. The original color on ours is also the yucatan yellow. I just picked up Captain Lee's stripper to remove the red. I want to check out what's there before I make any decisions.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Any input welcome other than the "you are going to be busy comment".

Actually I would say that "you are going to be busy" pretty much sums it up.    Just kidding, it will be a labor of love and will be worth every minute of it

Your mustang was beautiful. The original color on ours is also the yucatan yellow.

Thanks. It helps that that photo was taken 36 years ago But you are right, it was a neat boat. I had hoped to find one like it when I found my Tique 4 years ago, but didnt have much luck. That was in the early days of this site and the selection was much more limited.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 2:28pm

75 tique,
wow, sorry about the pictures (big).

Not a problem, but could you go back to your post and put in a return after the smiley face to bring your first photo down to the next line.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 3:00pm
As you can see with the attached pic, we are pretty much in the same boat per say.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 3:38pm
is that 3 mile in the background?
"the things you own will start to own you"
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 4:04pm
It's Shippingport. We dock on the Beaver River.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

As far as the wood base for the back seat, that is either another change or a customer fix, as our 66 had a fiberglass base for the back seat. Our 66 also had the fiberglass floor.

My '68 SS has a wood base for the rear seat, a wood motor box,had fiberglass bucket front seats with metal frames,fiberglass floor pan and the smooth transom as noted in another thread. All the gauges are mounted in the dash like the later models not in the console like the brochure. Even the pylon is 1 piece not the segmented type as in your picture. It left the factory in December of '68
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

no that is not me in the speedo

So which one are you then?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic