Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cobalt pics...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cobalt pics...
    Posted: September-18-2008 at 10:12am
Just thought I'd pop a couple shots of the old Cobalt up here. Hadn't posted anything for a while.

That's it! Just pics!
Inboards Rule!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 12:39pm
Craig, is the windshield new? I didnt see it in your youtube videos. Either way, I like it- that and the stripe really differentiate the boat from the Donzi. Thats a 16', right?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

the stripe really differentiate the boat from the Donzi.

Look at the trailer, LOL. Cool looking boat nonetheless!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 1:18pm
Craig, Interesting about the trailer. You've never mentioned it being a Donzi! Before the law suit forcing Cobalt to stop making the 16' Donzi copy, were they buying trailers from Donzi?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 1:55pm
There's a very popular boat here, the COBRA wich is also a copy of that boat.

I never drove any, is it any fun?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

There's a very popular boat here, the COBRA wich is also a copy of that boat.

Is it a exact copy of the Donzi 16? Cobalt actually got a Donzi and pulled a mold off the hull!!!

Tim, Just in case Craig doesn't come back for awhile, the windshield is removable. In typical Cobalt fashion, they did a top of the line trim job on the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 9:20pm
Bermuda Cobra, Argentinian splash on the donzi.

As you can see you can find it with or without windshield, with any sterndrive/engine options from the 70's to present, even some v-drives.
You can currently get it brand new for U$D20.000 with Volvo sx sterndrives.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 11:13am
Wow! Just checked in and noticed the handful of comments! The windshield isn't new; I just have it on sometimes and, sometimes I run it without it. I like both looks so it's handy that it is fairly easy to install (or "uninstall").
Thanks to Luchog for all the pics of the Cobras (Argentina Donzi mold pops). I have seen a real good handful of copies, some nearly exact like the Cobalt, and some deviations. Off the top of my head I can think of Cobalt, Vance, Vyper (Python), Four Wynns "U-boats", and I'm picturing some that I know are copies and I just can't recall the names. I notice many (all?) of the Cobras do not have thru transom exhaust. I've always thought that's a big part of what makes this boat configuration so cool, but I know even Donzi did their 16' Ski Sporter, Sweet 16' and Classic 16' (all the same boat -- with evolving names over the decades) with various 4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines, so if it ain't an 8 cyl. I guess it might as well be quiet exhaust!

Oh, the trailer is not a DONZI trailer either, it was a used " M A X U M Boats " trailer that bought and removed the MAXUM " logos from. I just put the DONZI decals on there as a "conversation starter" and it does seem to serve that purpose!

With regard to the "exactness" of the boat to an old DONZI, I've argued that it's much closer to a true Classic DONZI 16' than the current DONZI 16' Classic because it copied all the old hardware, Holman Moody engine & outdrive package, guages, air scoops, handrails, steering wheels, Morse shifters, etc., etc., etc. and the newer 16' Classic is significantly different than the old ones in that most of those mentioned appointments have changed over the years. Many have been "cheapened" in my opionion, over the years, but the Cobalt's are exactly what the DONZI's "used to be."

Even the mentioned windshield appeared on many of the old Donzi 16's and 18's (as well as the awesome 19' DONZI Hornet). It is the same "Taylor Made" screen DONZI used "back in the day" but now if you get a windshield option on either the 16' or 18' DONZI, it doesn't look anything like that. The windshield option on those models for the past, probably 20 years now has been a low cut sleeker style glass. Also very cool looking (I think) but nothing like the older Classic's windshield.
Inboards Rule!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic