NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Mustang, the Barracuda...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mustang, the Barracuda...
    Posted: September-13-2008 at 3:43am
THE MUSTANG...

THE BARRACUDA...

THE RIVIERIA...

THE SKYLARK...

THE TORINO...

THE GRAND PRIX...

THE WILDCAT...

Just wondering...what's the story behind Correct Crafts in the late 60's and early 70's having automotive namesakes...was there a reason for this, or is it just one of those things that has no answer?!? I would think back then if someone told you "You've got see the new Mustang, or my new Barracuda I've got in my garage", when they opened the door you probably wouldn't expect to see a boat.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 3:58am
It's a good question Adam. The only correlation I've been able to put together is that each of the boats offered what was the typical engine in the car. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 9:35pm
I've wondered that too. Imagine the trouble today with copyrights and trademarks.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 1:43am
1965 Grand Prix...

1965 Grand Prix...

Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

It's a good question Adam. The only correlation I've been able to put together is that each of the boats offered what was the typical engine in the car. BKH

Following that line of reasoning, did the Grand Prix come with a Pontiac marine engine?

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 2:40am
Now those are some cars.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 1:04am
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

1965 Grand Prix...

Following that line of reasoning, did the Grand Prix come with a Pontiac marine engine?

BKH, he's got us there, as I was with you. I know Grand Prix's at least came with Buick engine options, so isn't that close enough? But I can't recollect any production Pontiac based marine conversion.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 1:33am

Good enought for me, I just wondered what the correlation was. I remember seeing a guy on ebay with a Mustang (boat) saying it was some joint venture with Ford commemorating the Ford Mustang some how. I thought to myself, I don't remember seeing anything about that on CorrectCraftFan.com!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 1:40am
Yep, he's got us Reid. I give up.

Mustang - Ford 302
Torino - Ford 302 or 351 HM
Skylark - Buick V6
Barracuda - Chrysler 318
Wildcat - Buick 401
Maurauder - Ford 427
Riviera - Can't figure this one out. I would have guessed that the boat was offered with the 401 or 425 Buick, but I can't find any evidence of that.
Grand Prix - Really can't figure that one out as the boat had a 401 Buick. Maybe they just ran out of cool cars/cool car names.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 2:04am

No "gotcha" intended!!! Thanks for knowledge guys. I've always thought that "Grand Prix" invokes an automotive theme anyways, kind of a strange name for a boat.
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 2:14am
Thinking about this a bit more, didn't the ealry Mustang boats offer a 289 Ford? BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 10:10am

Thinking about this a bit more, didn't the ealry Mustang boats offer a 289 Ford? BKH

Early Mustang boats had 289, 260, 170, 140. All Ford engines.

I think it was more marketing than anything else. All the boats were named after hot cars. Some had engines from the same manufacturer, but not always.

Maybe Dave Hendricks could get the scoop from Mr. Malloon. That would be an interesting tidbit of history to know about.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 10:15am

Good enought for me, I just wondered what the correlation was. I remember seeing a guy on ebay with a Mustang (boat) saying it was some joint venture with Ford commemorating the Ford Mustang some how. I thought to myself, I don't remember seeing anything about that on CorrectCraftFan.com!!!

I remember that guy and I'd say he had been misinformed, or was rewriting history.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 11:48am
BKH, cool names maybe but not cool enough names, Camaro, Corvette, Chevelle, Nova lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2008 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

BKH, cool names maybe but not cool enough names, Camaro, Corvette, Chevelle, Nova lol

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Bayliner made various models over the years utilizing those exact names. Now THAT'S LOL.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2008 at 3:14am
SO what about the mustangs with 273s and 318s in them, are they crossbreads??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2008 at 11:36am
"The Bayliner Chevette"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

SO what about the mustangs with 273s and 318s in them, are they crossbreads??

I beleive they are called FTFs (Faster than Fords). BKH
Livin' the Dream

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2008 at 11:01pm
Gran(d) Prix was a race first, car second.
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 4:10am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Gran(d) Prix was a race first, car second.

...and a CORRECT CRAFT third!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 4:15am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Bayliner made various models over the years utilizing those exact names. Now THAT'S LOL.

...and they can presently be seen at the bottom of lakes all over the United States!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I remember that guy and I'd say he had been misinformed, or was rewriting history.

Either this guy's back, or someone else is claiming Ford is responsible for the Correct Craft Mustang.

"This boat was part of a cross-promotion"
-Adam

1973 Skier
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 4:19am
I dont think I have ever seen a Mustang with the play pen up front!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:52pm
Is that what you call the bench seat? I like that. And I'm with Mark in that I've never seen one in a Mustang either. It could be an Am Skier, as I don't see the Mustang name or any other for that matter, on the dash. The rest of that Ford and Mustang car/boat story is likely BS, unless I hear it from Mr Ralph. Furthermore, the car had already been out for a year and a half at that point, but I'm not sure CC needed Ford's permission to call a boat a Mustang.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

BlondieGurl1443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondieGurl1443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 2:37am
reid..I think you are right, it looks like an AM Skier to me, if you look the transom pic it looks just like Boat Dr boat, it does not have the hump down the center

Am=Skier

mustang
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 2:42am
good eye, Blondie...
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 2:47am
I guess that guy is going to have come up whole new line BS now!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 9:57am
over the weekend I seen a new 2008 or 09 Dodge RT challenger. very nice
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Is that what you call the bench seat? I like that. And I'm with Mark in that I've never seen one in a Mustang either. It could be an Am Skier, as I don't see the Mustang name or any other for that matter, on the dash. The rest of that Ford and Mustang car/boat story is likely BS, unless I hear it from Mr Ralph. Furthermore, the car had already been out for a year and a half at that point, but I'm not sure CC needed Ford's permission to call a boat a Mustang.   

I asked the seller a couple questions! The Ford - CC story and to look for the serial number on the aluminum hull tag. I told him the serial will start with one or two letters.

I did get a preliminary responce:
"Dear 8122pbrainard,
One of the Correct Craft dealers in Indiana confirmed the two years that Ford had a promo with Correct Craft. I will check on the hull #. It might be a state issued number of some sort. All I know is what the Michigan title has on it, but I will see if I can find the hull plate by the engine. I'll let you know!!"

Well, it wouln't be the first time a dealer has talked BS. Maybe it was from the other seller of the "commemorative" issue Mustang - and he was a marina!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by BlondieGurl1443 BlondieGurl1443 wrote:

reid..I think you are right, it looks like an AM Skier to me, if you look the transom pic it looks just like Boat Dr boat, it does not have the hump down the center

Am=Skier

mustang

Well crap Blondie, as I hate to tarnish your brief moment of brilliance. But in the never-ending quest of historical accuracy which we all strive for here, that hump in the transom actually appears to have been an on and off again thing on Mustangs. Looking back thru the diaries, "most" 69's on back (like my blue '69) don't have it while most 70's do.   But your attention to detail is spot on.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:50pm
Since were looking at rear ends, here is mine

Now Hollywood lets see what you can do with that
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic