Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raw Water Intake

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MiamiLaker24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiamiLaker24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raw Water Intake
    Posted: September-08-2008 at 9:56pm
I need to replace my raw water intake hose. I have a Baja Ski Sport 190. The engine is a ford 351 like any other inboard nautique 2001. My raw water intake hose is damaged to the point where it is not taking in enough water to cool the engine causing it to over-heat sometimes. I am concerned about the hose melting do to engine heat. What type of replacement hose should I use braided or other? Any pictures on the installment process would be extremely helpful. Thanks anyone!
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 10:36pm
Click on this: Hose
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 10:43pm
When you say it is damaged, what do you mean? Is it leaking, or kinked? Do you have a inline trash trap that could be clogged? It probably is wire reinforced. What size is the hose? Can you post a picture?

Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 12:58am
An option for you instead of hose is aluminum tube. It wont colaps or expand and can be polished. You can buy it at summit, jegs or your local hot rod shop. I used it works great. Also you will have to put e beed roll on the ends so your hose conections dont slip off.
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 1:26am
Sam, where did you get those exhaust pipes?
Tim D
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 1:34am
Tim,

I made them from 3" 90 deg ss bends. Some tig welding a little polish and good to go. They made the boat sound even better!
Loud pipes save lives!!

Sam's 73
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 4:25am
If you're in Miami, check here Amazon Hose and Rubber, they've got every hose ever made!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 7:25am
Sam, Nice work on the tubing and detailing the engine. As long as you have posted the picture of your exhaust, I'd like to suggest double clamping your hose to pipe connections. Some insurance companies when having the hull surveyed will require it plus I seem to remember it's a USCG regulation (may be only required below the waterline). T type hose clamps are a big plus too. Get rid of the cheap worm drives. You mentioned beading the ends of the pipe. Where you having a problem with the hose slipping off? Although the hose you used looks like a high temp silicone, it also looks to be very thin walled - consider a hose designed for exhaust.

Miami, Since the raw water hose is on the suction side of the pump, I recommend wire reinforced to prevent it from collapsing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 9:52am
Pete, your slipping, how about a steel supply line to the carb.
Sam, you can find a whole lotta critics if you look
beautiful job on the engine i must say....
"the things you own will start to own you"
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 10:31am
Pete,

I recomended beading the water pipes for added insurance to not have one slip off. The orange exhaust hose is turbo hose designed for very hight temps with cevlar weave very $$$. Thanks for the tip on the hose clamps. Also is there a website i can go to where i can read all the CG regs?
Loud pipes save lives!!

Sam's 73
MiamiLaker24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiamiLaker24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 10:46pm
By damaged I mean I think the previous owner used a garden hose instead of a wire reenforced hose and because of the proximity to the manifold I think the hose has started to melt. It is sort of kinked in that it has become very flat. Other than hook the hose up to the flush kit to blow whatever it is in it out what can i do? Do I need a cleaner like a salt-away for gunk?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 11:07pm
This should get you started. I haven't seen any garden hose large enough for this, and the wire reinforcement is key because it's a suction line. The wire prevents the colapse.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic