Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shortening a drive shaft?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Datim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Datim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shortening a drive shaft?
    Posted: August-11-2008 at 5:24pm
I've been having a bit of vibration when running at low speeds, and I finally checked my drive shaft on my SN2001 and found that it's very slightly bent.

So I need a new shaft. unfortunately they cost over $300 at skidim, which is a lot more than I can afford at the moment.

I found someone that is selling a 1" x 62" shaft from his V drive that is in perfect shape for $40. The only problem is that it's too long. My current shaft says 54".

My question is, can I just cut the longer shaft down to size and have a keyway machined into it? Or will that not work or be more trouble than it's worth?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 5:55pm
Datim, this is no problem . Any good machine shop can do this for a fair price,possibly less than the price you will pay for the used shaft.............Boat dr
Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 12:56am
I just had a key way cut in a shaft and new dimples drilled cost $47.00 with tax at a local machine shop. Another shop that does heavy industrial work wanted $175.00 1 hour minimum of there shop rate.I passed on them. That should give you an Idea of cost add a little for cutting the shaft down but shouldn't cost that much more. Baumans propeller also quoted about $40-50 bucks as well.
Booty
82,2001 82,2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Datim Datim wrote:

I found someone that is selling a 1" x 62" shaft from his V drive that is in perfect shape for $40.

How do you know it's in "perfect" shape? Why did he remove it from his V drive?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 9:51am
i dont really think a 62" came out of a ski boat, not that it matters
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 12:29pm
Datim I will sell you my drive shaft from a 2001 if you still need it, I pulled mine because of a transmission switch and while I keep saying that I am going to get it cut down for the mustang someday, thats probably never going to happen I will just end up buying a new ARE one for the mustang too.. give me a call if you want..
Joe.
315 567 1273
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Datim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Datim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 9:08pm
Thanks very much for the replies. Sorry for the delay in my acknowledgment, I had to attend to a family emergency and wasn't able to get back to the site.

Now all is well again and I'm going to hopefully have time to work on the boat.

Joe, I'd be very interested in the shaft from your 2001. I tried to call a couple times but didn't get through. I sent you an email and I'll try to call again this weekend.

Have a great labor day on the lake!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic