Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop shaft carrier alignment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Garyscs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyscs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop shaft carrier alignment
    Posted: July-16-2008 at 12:19am
Recently purchased a 1963 CC. I have removed engine and all hull hardware and applied a new WEST SYSTEM bottom. I noticed when reinstalling the driveshaft carrier at the prop end {outside the boat} that the original holes would cause the prop to be slightly offset to the rudder and center of the keel. Is this normal or was it a manufacturing flaw. It would need to move over 3/4" to line up straight to center and rudder. I could easily fill the holes with thickened epoxy and drill new ones if needed. thanks for any input or sugestions.
1963 CORRECT CRAFT 18' AGUA DELUXE SKIER
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2008 at 7:28am
The offset of the prop shaft to the "carrier" (it's called a strut) is intentional for prop puller clearance.

How about some pictures?? Engine-312? Sounds like this is your first boat so if you have any questions you sure found the best place to ask and get answers. Did you remove the bottom plywood or just coat it with the West?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2008 at 11:13am
Welcome Gary!

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, and a few (like me) who hang around for the ride. We definitely would love to see some pics of that old classic.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Garyscs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyscs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2008 at 12:49pm
Hi Pete thanks for the reply. I am still unsure of my situation, are you saying that the carrier and therefore the prop center should not align with the rudder exactly, just to allow room for a prop puller. Wouldent this cause the boat to pull to one side or steer easier one direction or the other. My boat was on Lake Tahoe in CA all its life but had some bottom damage, I think it met some Tahoe rocks at the hands of the last owner, so to repair the damage and add abrasion resistance I filled and faired it with epoxy mixtures then applied 12 oz. cloth saturated with epoxy plus several more coats to prevent print through, followed by STERLING primer and vintage red linear polyurethane for exelent durability, I know its not the best below water line but this boat will be trailered most of the time and will only be left in the water for a few days at a time, and it looks great! The hull sides were peeling and stained so i stipped and sanded to wood, bleached, filled, stained and applied epoxy with clear polyurethane, restored the original white pinstrip that was missing and white waterline {also looks great!} It has a chrysler M 318 B runs stong but had a major oil pan leak, after some research I found the correct gasket and seal kit, pulled the motor and trans, fixed the leak and took the oppertunity to flip the empty boat over for the needed bottom work. This strut and shaft installation are all thats left before flipping it back upright. Sorry in advance to anyone who doesnt like the modern materials approach taken but I believe that I'll get better abraision resistance and less maintenance this way. I'll post some pictures of it in progress and hopefully commpleted soon. This is my first wooden boat and I appreciate any advice and help I can get.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2008 at 1:09pm
Gary,

Welcome to the site. I certainly can't speak to all of the wooden boat work you did. That's Pete's territory, he is definitly the site's wooden boat guy.

I just thought I would jump in on the alignment question you asked for clarification on. Yes, the strut (carrier) and shaft, on many boats, is not aligned with the rudder. Pete said it is to allow a prop puller in there. My understanding had been that they are off-set to allow the shaft to be removed without removing the rudder. (been there done that, unfortunately) But either way, if they are off-set, they are supposed to be off-set, and no, it doesnt affect steering or tracking performance.

Oh and to reiterate one other thing Pete said...pictures!! (we like pictures here)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2008 at 8:16pm
Gary,

I wish you had found us first before you did your project but even if you had, you probably thought we were all glass boats.

There are a few things that really concern me that I'd like to mention.

First though, I'd like you to know that modern adhesives and sealants are accepted with the ACBS judging rules but some judges will deduct points for the addition of the glass on the bottom. Glass on the bottom is considered a quick cover up of a bad bottom and it is only the word of the restorer as to what repairs have been made. What really concerns me is glassing a bottom will accelerate rot in the wood. At least you used epoxy rather than polyester as the polyester won't stick to the wood for very long. I've seen it (and the glass) come off in rather large pieces!! The good thing you do have going is that you said it is a trailer boat but caution you to keep the bilge as dry as possible. Did you just cover up all the bad seams with the epoxy and glass or did you open them up and re bed and re fasten them?

Now the bad one!! Although epoxy is excellent at stabilizing the surface of wood as well as a excellent primer, I feel it should never be used on bright work (stained and varnished). It is used on boat bright work but mostly on wood cold molded epoxy construction or wood reproductions and then only with plenty of UV protection over it. It will turn white from the sunlight without a UV protective coating and even with will still turn white after years of exposure . In the early days of epoxy and the early days of Grand Craft (reproduction Chris Crafts using epoxy) the buyers were returning their now white boats to Grand Craft!! Epoxy can't be stripped as paint and varnish remover wont touch it. It must be abrasively removed. At least with Grand Crafts, being a planked boat they could do this. Your Aqua being plywood you're out of luck because the face veneer is so thin.

Now regarding bright work top coatings, your choice of using the polyurethane is a bad one. Besides not having any UV protection (one brand does have some) polys are too brittle to handle the seasonal movement of the wood. Even though you used the epoxy (brittle by itself without glass or fillers) as a base coat and the fact that it is plywood (relatively stable) you still get shrinking and swelling of the wood pores and seam movement. I even see attempts of using modern automotive type clear coats fail because of their hardness. (I can also spot them from across harbor and know a auto restorer did a wood boat!!)

I recommend you get the sandpaper out and carefully remove as much of the polyurethane as possible and then start over with a high quality marine spar varnish such as Z-spar/Pettit Flagship. It has the highest UV rating and happens to be my favorite. Marine spar varnishes are relatively soft for many years and will move with the wood instead of checking. I would shoot for at least 6 coats, give it 6 months and then put 2 more on.

I hope I haven't really disappointed you but you need to know some facts while there is still time to get some UV over that epoxy.

Ok, Where are the pictures???!!!

BTW, A layer of glass and epoxy isn't going to save it from the rocks again!! Stay away from them and don't beach it ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Garyscs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyscs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 2:45pm
Pete

Sorry I havent been able to reply sooner with work, life and boat taking my free time.
I appreciate all the info even if some might not be what I wanted to hear, fortunately I havent completed the whole boat so there is still hope, I will get UV over the completed areas.
To answer your question I only had one questionable seam and yes I rebed and refastened it per WEST SYSTEM instructions, the rock damage (not to bad) left scars and depresions but no actual holes, areas that the plywood was crushed slightly I drilled very small holes half way through and injected thinned epoxy to saturate the grain before filling and fairing the areas.
With the answers I got here I installed the strut, shaft and prop back to its original offset position, then rolled the boat back upright by myself, used my bobcat a wide strap and bundles of insulation for soft cribbing, worked great and left no marks.
While out I painted the engine and trans the original color (had a hard time finding it)and reinstalled it.
The top decks havent been refinished yet so Ill take your advice and use conventional materials there, but its summer and I want it on the lake, the rest will have to wait for the off season.
Going to start it today and hopfuly have it on the lake tomorow morning.
Sorry still cant post pics from this computer, but Ill get them on soon.

thanks
Gary
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 9:15pm
Gary,

I'm glad to here about the deck not being done yet so you can get some marine spar down on it but also don't forget the hull sides and transom. Without the epoxy on the decks, you will want to add a couple more coats to the 6 I mentioned. You will find that because the spar varnish isn't very hard that it isn't the easiest to sand. Between the first 5 or 6 coats, a scotch brite pad stuck onto a hook and loop pad on a random orbit sander works great. All you really need to do is remove the gloss. With the final coats you will need it hard block wet sand to keep the paper from loading up with the varnish. Be prepared to spend more than $35 for the best brush you can find (not from the local Ace hardware!!!) Never let the brush dry out - it should be suspended in 1/2 mineral spirits and 1/2 non detergent motor oil.

If you want to take it all the way to a glass smooth mirror finish I can fill you in on some techniques.

We'll be waiting for the pictures!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Garyscs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyscs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 1:28pm
Back on the water! We launched her on sunday, after adjusting the packing nuts on the new Goretex shaft packings from Skidim we were under way, cruised and ran hard all day but only took on about a 1/2 ounce of water. Previous to the new bottom and packings this would have resulted in many gallons of incoming water through multiple leaks and the bilge pump working hard to keep up.
So now she's dry and I'm wet,a great day on the lake.
We recieved multiple comments about how good the sides look and subsequently how bad the top decks look, but as I said before its summer and time for play not refinishing, it will have to wait till the off season.
Thanks for the advice I,ve found here. I am sure I'll need more as I continue the project this winter. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Gary   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic