NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pump
    Posted: July-10-2008 at 11:11pm
Wanting to hear from you guys. I'm thinking of putting in an electric fuel pump on my 79 Ski Nautique. The mechanical one on my boat doesn't seem to work well. I took it off the boat, pumped it by hand and it shot gas out just fine, (it wasn't hooked up to the fuel line but the remaining fuel in the pump shot out) but it just doesn't seem to want to prime my fuel filter, gas lines etc. Anyone here bypassed their stock mechanical ones with electric, and if so do you recommend it. Or am I better off keeping it stock. I started getting this problem late last year. I thought it could possibly be vapor locking but now I'm guessing it's the pump. This happens when I park at the beach with the engine hot, or after trailering it down the road. It seems like the fuel goes back down my fuel line towards the tank and takes me forever to start sometimes. Once running it runs tip top??? Also if you recommend electric where did you guys tap your power from? It might save me a few minutes with the tester. Or is this commonly how these pumps react when they go bad? Thanks, Brian
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2008 at 1:29pm
I also have checked and i'm getting gas to my fuel filter, took the fuel filter off and blew through it, no problems here neither, so nothing is plugged up or anything. I wonder if it is the seals in my pump that have gone bad and it looses pressure?
wakesurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 2:59am

I have the same problem!

fuel pump?

mine shoot a little bit of gas... not much.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 7:51am
I would question the need for a electric when there are thousands of mechanicals out there working just fine. Why not just put a new mechanical pump in it? Before you condemn the pump, get a pressure gauge T'd in to the line and check it out. Test before you become one of the "parts changers".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 9:49am
good time to inspect the anti siphon valve, if failed or dirty it will allow gas to siphon back also.no need for more electrical parts on a boat
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 3:15am
I went ahead and ordered a mechanical one from skidim. The boat is all original and I wanted to keep it that way. Anti siphon valve? Where is that located? Is it inside the fuel pump as if it ever happens again I'll check that 1st before buying a new pump. I checked my ball check valve on top of my gas tank and it seems to be fine. Boat is running good again. The one I took off said ac delco on it and had a part # but when I called the nearby ac delco place they said it was an invalid part #? Maybe it was so old that they no longer produce them because of lack of interest since it has the air line running to the carb to remove fumes?
Thanks, Brian
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 7:37am
Brian, The anti siphon is the ball check on the top of the tank.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic