Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1998 Nautique Straight Pipe

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1998 Nautique Straight Pipe
    Posted: June-18-2008 at 8:57pm
I have a 1998 Nautique GT-40 EFI, has anyone ever put straight pipe on them. Or has an idea how to do it? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Would it sound good coming out a single exhaust pipe.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 12:42am
There's some guy here who calls himself TRBenj...I think he found a solution?!!?

As I understand it, this was a single exhaust.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 12:44am
Man that is a beautiful job...ain't it?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 12:51am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Man that is a beautiful job...ain't it?

Ya Mon!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 12:53am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Ya Mon!

Leftover from the honeymoon!?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 2:53pm
If your going to do the work just go duals like Tim did. This is the back of the boat that was shown above.

TRBenj duals
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 4:18pm
Thanks guys.

Im not sure I would recommend the dual exhaust conversion... Its by no means a small undertaking- the cost and time involved are pretty significant.
STANG KILLA SS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANG KILLA SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 6:02pm
one thing to consider, any time you remove the mufflers, the loss in backpressure will cause a loss in low end torque.
with the bullet mufflers used on these boats though the loss will be much less than on a car.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by STANG KILLA SS STANG KILLA SS wrote:

one thing to consider, any time you remove the mufflers, the loss in backpressure will cause a loss in low end torque.
with the bullet mufflers used on these boats though the loss will be much less than on a car.

Not only are the stock mufflers fairly lossless, but prop slippage makes low end torque almost a non-issue. Any Correct Craft should be getting an instant 2500+ RPM when going WOT out of the hole. Modified boats will see more than that, and 1.23 boats should see 3k. Modified 1.23 boats can get 3200-3400, depending on the prop.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 6:19pm
what are you talking about
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 12:19am
I get a boner every time I see that exhaust...is that normal?

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 1:26am
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

I get a boner every time I see that exhaust

I hear HW suffers from that same problem, but a little more often !!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 1:40am
HW is young enough to have that problem often.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 11:44am
Adam is just jealous.
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 3:53pm
Any ideas on how to run it straight. Where do I get the Y Pipe and hose to bypass the muffler?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 5:57pm
Go to your local muffler shop armed with a pocket full of C notes and ask can they do the job?????????
If they fail your question and answer session go to the next one down the street, someone will take your money............
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 10:13am
1998N - I am also thinking of changing to a straight pipe setup, since I am going to install a 'Fresh Air Exhaust' to eliminate CO exposure (a significant issue) while surfing.
Thus now I will effectively have 2 mufflers.

I saw these components on JA Chamberlain's site & am headed that direction. elbows

I would run exhaust hose from the starboard manifold to an elbow, then hose from the port manifold down to a tee (next in inline).

Guys, do you think this would work or create uneven backpressure for one of the banks?

Would incresed intake manifold vacuum (at mid range RPM) be a good indcator of performance benefit?

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 11:28am
he gets a boner and about 12.5 seconds later its gone lol

anyone have crossover pipe in thier exhasust?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 11:33am
I have plans for an x pipe, but its not high on the priority list..

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 12:20pm
you ready for a trans yet? i could find you a nice zf630 a, full power forward and full power reverse, with electrics and a trolling valve for the no wake zone
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 12:45pm
Love them hitech's. That is one nice clean install TRBenj.

It would be interesting to see if a crossover / balance pipe between the 2 banks produced any power gains. I found in my Aussie 5.4 litre V8 DOHC Ford ute . The best power curve & max HP was with a balance pipe straight after Cat's then into a single 3" pipe.

Picture of Xovers

I put the following balance pipe in my old ski boat and got better economy and a reduction in exhaust crackle also.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 5:00pm
Very interesting. Ill need to do some more reading- can you explain the benefits of an H pipe vs. an X pipe?
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 7:28pm
Lewy-
What is the pulley system for in the second picture?
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 11:15pm
TRBenj
I had no room room to put the xover type design in my old ski boat it was only 17'2" including platform so had to settle for the H pipe design.
It is all about exhaust scavenging I would think the xover would have advantages but the H pipe design definately helped in my application.

Azeus17
The pulley system is for the hand lever operated soft clutch transmission. It basically is a standard clutch & pressure plate system from a car. It uses a modified bell hosing with a bronze clutch fork that is actuated by a hand lever via the pulley system yon can see in the bilge. It is very common in fresh water boats in Aus. Mainly the budget priced boats use this system it is very reliable and inexpensive to repair. It is also a great improvement over the old dog clutch system earlier ski boats used. It does not suit salt water applications that well due to corrosion.

89 Ski

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:02am
what would be the benefits of the X exhaust besides having a cool steel X on the bilge???
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:05am
Thread jack..sorry...Luciano..was just gonna e-mail you as I hadn't seen you here for awhile. How is the resturant going? And your lady? Been doing much boarding?

Sorry again.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 11:36am
I was just reading though the original CC brochures on this site for my 89 Ski. Found some excellent info on the Interflow exhaust which they introduced in that year in the SP package. They claimed a 20% torque improvement with a 10% HP gain & a 6% fuel economy benefit. The only real downfall is the 50% reduction in noise!!!!

They are big gains but it was CC telling the story.

I also found out that my 89 is Cranberry not Maroon.

89 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic