NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Step one...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Step one...
    Posted: June-15-2008 at 2:19pm
...clean.

What a mess. I tell you, there will always be something covering my boat. Never understood folks who left things out in the open to gunk up. My dad used to be like that, left his boats and farm equipment out baking in the sun, always having to fix things. Thankfully he has changed his ways.

So if figured the best thing to do at this point is clean her up. Not only does it look nicer having a shiny beautiful classic boat in your back yard but it makes working on her much easier. And now I have a very good understanding of where everything is.

Enjoy.

Pulled the floor out, cleaned it as well (not shown). Scrubbed with a brush and soap. Got the algae off, now my wife might actually put her bare feet in it. Once stringers are redone I will re-carpet.

Dirty girl.

I'm not surprised.

The tank. Going to plastic. This ones got rust. Is this the original anyone know?

All clean. At least as clean as it's going to be.

A little before and after. Nothing some car wash soap, a sponge and scotch bright bad can't take care of.

All cleaned up and dry. Definitely needs a polish and wax, I'll have to do some research on that. I assume after it will look more like the pick below.

Still wet, nice and shiny.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2008 at 2:31pm
Diamond in the rough
"the things you own will start to own you"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2008 at 3:11pm
Big difference already. Gonna be a beautiful boat when you're done.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2008 at 6:46pm
David,
You do have lots of work ahead of you but it will be worth it!

Have you tried pulling the carpet off the original fiberglass floor? It might be worth taking a look at the condition. The carpet adhesive will be on it but I'd say that paint and varnish remover would take it off. I'm pushing some of my originality here in case you didn't pick up on it!!!

Yes, that would be the original tank. Before you give up on it, I would check out the condition on the inside. The outside rust my just be on the surface that you could clean up and paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 2:26am
The rust is inside the tank. Otherwise I would keep it and spend the money elsewhere.

I'm sure the carpet will come off the floor. Are you saying that originally there was no carpet?

Tell you what's confusing me, the rear seat. The fiberglass part does not seem to attach to anything. Just sits on the floor....???
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 3:21am
Don't disgard that tank until you get a replacement. Tempo made replacements, but went out of business over the winter. Mueller makes the same size tank, but the fill spout is in the middle. You may have to go custom. The boat looks great!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 7:41am
David,
Take a look through the reference section and the diaries at the Mustangs. There are some pictures that will give you a idea of the original. The Mustangs had the fiberglass floor pans. The inside of the hull sides didn't have carpet ether. They were uphostered and had side pockets. If you take the carpet off the floor pan, I feel you'll find the holes for the rear seat screws.

See if there is a auto radiator shop in your area that does gas tank restoration and find out what they would charge. Radiator shops seem to be into this because they have the hot tanks for boiling out the tank. There are also do it yourself kits. Some here have done it. With antiques and classics, restoration of the original is the preferred method.

ACBS rules where changed last year in regards to model years. You have a boat that can go into a ACBS judged show.

nice 69 showing interior

Here's a nice red 70. With the exception of the owner violating the side panels with the speakers and the addition of the swim platform, it looks pretty original.

red 70

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 2:21pm
Nice interiors!

I'm pretty sure the side panels are not in my boat anymore. Has anyone ever rebuilt them?

I know part of the fiberglass floor is damaged in front of the engine. Not sure if it can be repaired. I'm guessing there is no chance of finding a replacement.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 2:34pm
David,
I think Bruce (Riley) was picking up a left over set of side panels from a member that didn't want them anymore. That's a very lucky find! He's in Maine and I don't know where you are? Tracing existing and making them would be easy. I'm sure Bruce will be in shortly - He may be able to help you out.

Then floor pan can be repaired by patching in glass on the bottom side. The top side is going to be the problem because it is a textured surface. Careful routing out of the cracks and refilling them is possible and then painting. This is the only case that I recommend paint on fiberglass. Re gelling is near impossible due to the textured surface.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 2:59pm
I'll take a closer look at the floor this evening.

I'm pretty good at wood working, if I had a pattern I could make the side panels easy enough.

I'm in Dallas Texas so Maine is quite aways from here.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 3:40pm
A tracing on red rosin paper would do it! You would only need one side as they are mirror image pieces.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 4:44pm
Here's some pics of the floor condition.

Here's the rear panel.

Closeup

Rear of the main floor

damaged part of the main floor stuck to boat

Not sure if it is salvageable??
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 5:14pm
I am picking up my new side panels next weekend. I do have one side panel that came with my boat, (I thew the other one out as it was rotted). I could remove the old uplostry and trace it for you, if that would be of help. One problem though, they are about 12' long and are made of 1/4"+- plywood. I would guess that it was custom plywood. Can you buy that stuff, Pete?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 5:54pm
I would love a tracing. I'm still trying to see if the previous, previous owner still has them lying around.

12' plywood...

I bet I could figure out a way to sister two pieces together.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 6:06pm
I'll trace it out for you. Send me an email with your address. It may take me a week or two, but I'll get it to you. Sistering would probably work just fine.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 6:25pm
done
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 9:41pm
David, I figured Bruce would help you out. He's a nice guy!!! A butt block joint on the backside to make the length will be fine. It will be hidden.

Not a good looking floor pan!! I'm going to have to think about it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 10:29pm
Don't throw out that floor pan,I threw out mine and now I'm sorry. I now have carpet and don't like it. I think someday I'll try to make a new one.
Bruce, any chance you could get me a tracing also? Let me know what you need. Thanks
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 1:04am
Gary, I can trace one for you, too. Probably rosin paper would work the best. I may even have some. Email me your address. I'll either get it done this weekend or next at the latest.

Vondy, I wouldn't go pulling that engine, unless you plan to really dig into the hull and not use it for awhile. Pete, told me to pull mine in the beginning and I resisted, figuring it would just prolong my project. Well, I've yanked mine out and have no schedule as to when it will be back in. The project keeps getting a little bigger about every other time I work on it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 1:38am
I sent you a email Bruce.Let me know if you got it. No hurry either,been hard at work on the trailer to get it ready for GL. Thanks
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 7:10am
Bruce, I only recommended pulling your engine because of the stringer work you needed to do and because of the problems you were having getting the trans off. I Hope you're not holding it against me now??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 9:50am
Gary, I got it.

Pete, I don't hold it against you, you were right!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 12:03pm
Riley,

I decided not to pull the engine until winter. Really no reason just to get her running. Perhaps I'll do the stringer job this winter and get the engine looking good.

I drilled some holes into the stringers yesterday and yes, brought up some wet wood. They are tough and solid, but wet.

Figure they will last one or two short trips to the lake this year.

Riley did you get my email?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 2:06pm
Vondy, I did and I will send you a tracing in a week or 2 at most.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 2:15pm
Cool Riley, no rush.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic