Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

**UPDATE**transmission stuck on motor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rholmes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rholmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: **UPDATE**transmission stuck on motor
    Posted: June-07-2008 at 6:43pm
I tried all the below suggestions to no avail. After spending another five hours on it today, we got enough of a gap in between the transmission and the bellhousing to see that it is one large rusted mess. Everything is covered it rust from top to bottom. It is soaking in WD40 now, but I don't know if that is going to help. Any suggestions? My fear is that I am looking at so much rust, I'll have to cut the tranny apart to get it off and just buy a new one. TIA!

*** Newb here who is need of some help. I have been lurking for while, learning from the forums, but haven't wanted to clog bandwith. Now I need some help if you could be so kind.

I am trying to remove the Borg Warner 1:1 velvet drive from motor (1990 model). It is a 351W. I have separated the coupler, removed motor mounts, cleared out all parts and jacked up the motor. I have removed four bolts and the two nuts on the bottom the tranny that holds it to the bell housing, but I can't seem to get the transmission off. I have wiggled, jiggled, pried and yanked to no avail. I even tried a pry bar and two screw drivers on either side to try to work it off... nothing (I have a gap larger anough to stick a flat head screw driver into, that is it). Any help is much appreciated. I am trying to replace the front shaft seal that is leaking oil into the bellhousing and then out of the started hole. TIA folks!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2008 at 10:39pm
Rob. pull it off by unbolting the bell housing from the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rholmes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rholmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2008 at 11:41pm
Does the bell housing have to be removed in order for it to come off? I was trying to save my self from having to change the oil in the engine (just did it) and buy a new oil pan gasket and rear main seal gasket. TIA!

Rob
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2008 at 11:42pm
Or maybe try pushing it back in, oiling the studs, and then come out gently. I know that sounds wierd, but it sounds like it's binding.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 12:03am
Originally posted by rholmes rholmes wrote:

Does the bell housing have to be removed in order for it to come off? I was trying to save my self from having to change the oil in the engine (just did it) and buy a new oil pan gasket and rear main seal gasket. TIA!

You do not have to remove the oil pan to remove the bell housing.
You can remove the starter, then remove the other bolts holding the bell housing in place. When all bolts are removed, the transmisson and bell housing should slide out. Only thing holding it would be the splines on the shaft and the plate.
Just did this last night to get to an oil leak.

Good luck, Roger
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 12:33am
its probably stuck on the pilot of the transmission and the bore of the bellhousing, they'll do that. try a couple screwdrivers 180 apart and pry back, you can knock it side to side with a 4 x 4....not going crazy, and being a good aim, but it will wiggle and come of
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 2:11am
Greg you are almost making it to easy to come up with a new sig line.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 2:22am
Don't you just hate it when it binds
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 2:49am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Greg you are almost making it to easy to come up with a new sig line.

Please, don't do it!   ROFL

I didn't even think about it, but it sounds like you're thinking about something....?!!?

Besides, I'm tired from working on a CC...isn't that a pretty good excuse around here?    
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
pickupman96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickupman96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 3:00am
Just a thought but did you remove the bolts for the flywheel cover that bolts to the bellhousing
1976 Correct Craft Mustang 17, 302 Ford
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 3:14am
Good enough excuse around here.

Don't want you being tired when Amy returns home.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic