NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Breaking 50! Need new thermostat?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking 50! Need new thermostat?
    Posted: May-30-2008 at 2:40pm
Just wanted to say how stoked I am. I got the boat out this past weekend and I can break the 50mph barrier (barely). I got the interior put back together and carpet in place just in time for the weekend. Speedos are finally working due to the new pickups, and my new tach is working great.
I will post some picks of the interior when I get some time...

Only immediate thing that needs some attention is most likely a new thermostat? The temp stayed at 120 when operating. After I stopped running and put the boat in the lift then the temp would go up to 135. I am guessing that the thermostat is stuck open/ partly open.

Does this make sense? Gauge obviously works, temp stayed cool when running -- means water is cooling properly when running, manifolds were at right temp (warm -not hot), and temp went up when not running (when water was not actively cooling). These symptoms point to a open thermostat???

I will probably pull the termostat and check it out.

livin', lovin', lovin' livin'
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 3:03pm
I think it's normal for the temp to rise slightly after running it and then stopping, since the water is no longer being pumped through.

I'm not sure but seems like the temp should be a little higher around 160 is usually where I'm running after warmed up. maybe you have the wrong sending unit? I had this problem after changing out mu gauge, I had to get a sending unit to match the gauge.

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2008 at 2:04am
You can verify the sender with a pot of hot water. Just put the sender and a thermometer into the hot water for a quick check.

Sometimes a small piece of trash can lodge in the thermostat and it will stick open. Many times you can pull the 'stat and get the trash out and it will work fine.

My boat has a 145 'stat and runs around 140.

Matt
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2008 at 2:53am
thread jack..sorry.

Thanks for the nice note and the bucks Matt. Glad it helped.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic