Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking to Buy A 1969 MUSTANG Want input.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
livenfree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livenfree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking to Buy A 1969 MUSTANG Want input.
    Posted: April-25-2008 at 12:56am
Hello Correct Craft Fans, I am looking at buying this 1969 Mustang. I don't know much about these boats. So I am wondering what you guys think she might be worth and what problems to look for. I will try and attach photo's. This will be my first Inboard boat. I have only had outboars in the past. Thanks for any advice you have for me.
A newbie! I put like 10 pics but they came out so BIG! And only a few show up? What do you advise?
Thanks,
Brice
Michigan, USA

A NEWBIE WHO LOVES WATER AND BOATS
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 1:16am
Brice Go back to edit your post and put a space in between each of you pics .
That will allow them to be one above another instead of side by side .
How much does he want for the boat ?
Does the gel appear to have a lot of cracks ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 1:37am
Brice, you can search the Diaries section and put in a year range search to get an idea. I do not know much about the Mustang but that looks like it is in good shape.
Also search for the forums for buying a used Correct Craft and you will find a list of things to check before buying.

Thats all I got for you... other than good luck.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 9:57am
Brice, The hardware and windshield look all there and original. The steering wheel, pylon and some of the guages are not original. Not sure if the ladder is a CC part. From what I can see of the trailer, it is probably a CC trailer, fenders do look funny though. If it runs, IMHO it is well worth the money you were talking.
livenfree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livenfree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 10:41am
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the input so far. Looks like all the pics showed up this morning :) p/allen Asked about cracks in the gel coat. I don't see any at all. Does it look original do you think?
I will check out those Diaries you suggested critter.
Thanks,
Brice
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 10:57am
Originally posted by livenfree livenfree wrote:

Does it look original do you think?

Does what look original? It looks like the gel has been painted over- it wouldnt have been 2 different colors above/below the character line in the hull. What colors is it, by the way? Its tough to tell. Its possible either the lighter or darker color is original gel, and its only been partially painted. As far as parts go, the steering wheel, front seats, guages (especially the speedos!), fenders, and trailer jack arent original. Too bad it doesnt have the ring and finger on the pylon. Most of the other hardware is there though, so its not a bad starting point.

Are you sure its a '69? The bow light would have had me guessing 67-68, though CC was hardly consistent back then!

Be sure to grab some pics of the prop. Sometimes the reverse rotation engines in CC's are rebuilt as standard rotation by people who dont know any better. A RH prop is a clue that its still correct. Does it run?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 2:57pm
Well the speedos are bad ass even if not original. If its an original reverse rotation running engine makes a big deal on price as well as if it is original salvageable gel coat under one of those two tones. It can still be a nice boat if painted for sure but IMHO a boat with original gel has more value. A nice looking boat from what we see though.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 3:35pm
I dont think the engine cover would have been upholstered in that year? Is it wood or glass underneath?

Also a potential biggie..Check the stringers for rot.. not a fun job to replace.
overall not a bad looking old boat.. what are they asking for it?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 3:56pm
Steve, The Mustang with the 318 would have the wood upholstered box. Same one as the Barracuda with the 318. Not too sure about the style on the vinyl though. I think it's been recovered with the fake pleats.

Brice, go for it but if the stringers haven't been worked on since new, then do expect some issues with rot. We'll get you through it if needed!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 4:13pm
Pete,
The 318 in a Mustang Im guessing would be kind of a rare option? But, why a wood cover? All the 'cudas of that generation had 'glass.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 4:21pm
Steve, we had a 67 Barracuda that had a wood motor box. I've never seen a Mustang in person with a wood box, but have seen them on the site(GaryS) and that one looks like a Correct Craft wood box to me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 7:16pm
Steve, The 318 did come in the Mustang. I know of 3 on our lakes up north. The 318 in the cuda was actually the more common engine in the late 60's early 70's. My 70 had the 302 H/M which was rarer. The H/M by the way would out run the 318!

Guys, Here's the Barracuda 68 brochure in our ref. section.

My friend who will be coming to GL this year has the 318 in his cuda. I'm trying to get him to bring it but he would need to borrow a trailer plus he feels it's not in the greatest shape. I've told him not to worry about it! He keeps looking at all the GL pictures and only sees restored!!

Bruce, The 318 won't fit under the fiberglass box.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 7:39pm
Ahhhhh, theres that Yucatan Yellow... man I love that!

btw Pete, why does the 318 fit under a cuda's glass cover?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

btw Pete, why does the 318 fit under a cuda's glass cover?

Good question! We may need to wait for some help from Reid on this one. I always thought there was a width problem with the 318 fitting under the glass box. Every 318 (even in larger CC hulls) I have ever seen has the upholstered plywood box. Now the really confusing thing with the Chrysler - The 273's will fit under the glass box. Both Rodney and Marshall have the set up. I'm wondering if the 318 marine in those years was the old original heavy block. The newer light weight V8 Chrysler I believe started as the 273. Reid???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 8:04pm
Pete,
I have the old polyhead/wide 318 in my 66 'cuda SS and it has a 'glass cover....

When we get this figured out ..Ive got another "why" question.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 8:14pm
My friends Wildcat originally had a 318 and a fiberglass motor box. I like the looks of the fiberglass box better, but our padded wood box was much quieter than my friends fiberglass box and it was a better seat.

Notice that 68 cuda has the gas fill on the port side.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 10:17pm

Pete,
I have the old polyhead/wide 318 in my 66 'cuda SS and it has a 'glass cover....

When we get this figured out ..Ive got another "why" question.

Looks like a exhaust manifold change was made around 1967.

Here's a 66 318 with a fiberglass box.

Here's a 69 318 with the plywood box.

The newer and higher manifolds sure do make the engine wider.

Reid, where are you??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 10:36pm
Pete, I think you solved the mystery. IIRC ours had the higher ones.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 10:40pm
Pete,

The pic of the 66 motor you posted looks kinda familiar, thats because it's the cuda I bought last fall in NC!

My 66 has the poly/wide 318(also called an "A" block).

I bet the 67 is the "new" 318 (or an "LA" block).
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 10:45pm
Sorry for the "sidetrack" in your post Brice. (That seems to happen a lot around here.)

Have you looked anymore at the Mustang?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 11:09pm

Pete,
The pic of the 66 motor you posted looks kinda familiar, thats because it's the cuda I bought last fall in NC!

Wow! It wasn't intentional but funny how I just happened to pick the picture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Steve, we had a 67 Barracuda that had a wood motor box. I've never seen a Mustang in person with a wood box, but have seen them on the site(GaryS) and that one looks like a Correct Craft wood box to me.

I always thought I had a wood box because of the HM motor and it being a SS,but then I found out Reid has a glass one on his HM powered Mustang,so who knows.It's very well made and the vent covers match the rest of the ones on the boat.I replaced the lower 3" due to damage.If someone needs pictures let me know.
Does anyone know why you got a certain motor? Mine came with 3" exhaust also,so some planning had to be done while building.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Does anyone know why you got a certain motor? Mine came with 3" exhaust also,so some planning had to be done while building.

Gary, I think it was kinda like cars. Each boat had a standard engine, but could be optioned with an upgrade. Heres a price sheet out of the 66 Reference section showing different models with optional motors.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 1:42am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Now the really confusing thing with the Chrysler - The 273's will fit under the glass box. Both Rodney and Marshall have the set up.

If Im not mistaken, both Rodney and Marshall's 'Stangs are '70 models with the newer (flat top) fibgerglass motorbox. Judging by looks alone, Ive always thought that was the same motorbox that they were putting in the Ski Nautique with the 351. I presume that style of box is wider than the pre-70 curved top box.

That would also explain why Gary has a wood box over his H-M... those manifolds may have required more width. H-M's seem to be a lot more common in the 70+ boats as well.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 2:22am
I'm not even sure what year mine is,the info Correct Craft gave me is that it was shipped from the factory in December of 68.Reid seemed to think it's a '69,but CC sent me a copy of the '68 literature so I'll have to get back to them and check. Anyway if you look at the above pic's you'll see the transom has the raised area in the middle of it,the same as Marshall's where as mine is smooth.
Brice,last fall Reid found in the Boat Trader what looked like a real nice one in Minnesota for I think under 4K,so you'll have to look this one over close.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 2:34am

Gary, I think it was kinda like cars. Each boat had a standard engine, but could be optioned with an upgrade. Heres a price sheet out of the 66 Reference section showing different models with optional motors.

Funny thing is Steve I've never seen the HM option on a sheet before.The '68 brochure shows that the SS came with an Interceptor 210hp.Maybe it's one of the early ones to use an HM,so they had to use a wood cover?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 10:33am
My 70 H/M cuda had the flat top glass box. The identical sister to that boat which is still on the lake had the glass box too. Gary, Is there any indication that your boat has ever had a engine swap? Besides establishing that there was a manifold change making the later 318 version wider, I think this may be another case of "what do we have in the shop to put a boat together today problem"

By the way, both my 70 cuda and it's sister both came in from the factory with the matching seat pads on the flat top box. It's why I went and had the pad made for the Tique. I've gone through our diaries and only find a hand full of the pads. I have a feeling that it was the original intent of designing the flat top into the glass box.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 11:19am
No swap Pete, Correct Craft says it left with the HM.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
livenfree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livenfree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 11:55am

Sorry for the "sidetrack" in your post Brice. (That seems to happen a lot around here.)

Have you looked anymore at the Mustang?

Wow!!! Did you guys ever!
wa wa wa
I plan on looking at her again Saturday (Today) I was thinking of checking things like engine oil pressure and compression. And told by a neighbor to especially check for cracks on manifolds which he says are like $500 to replace. Hmmm...
I am thinking of stuff like that to make sure it is a viable engine. Not wether it has a wood or fiberglass box lol! U guys crack me up! :) You all must be retired to have time for those discussions! lol!

Ok Now on to some of my more "practical" questions:
?'s #1- How do I check the stringers? I guess look from around motor cover area?
The guy is asking under 4k so I guess that is good . :)

#2- Pardon my ignorance but why does it have 2 speedometers? I am guessing for accuracy when skiing?

#3 - Why is there a clear glass window in the stern top right above the fuel sending unit? Was there a guage in there at one time I am guessing.

#4- It says to run leaded fuel on the motor. Should that be a concern when fueling her up?

#5- The drive shaft is disconnected. Guess for storage?

#6 - She has brass prop and rudder. Was that common? I bet those will look gouragous when polished up. Any tips on polishing them? They are brown right now. Will get some more pics for you today.

Ok Thanks so much for the input and laughs!
Have a grea day!
Brice
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 2:17pm
Brice, Yes sorry for the direction this thread went but it does happen!

#1 Stringers - the non invasive method is to check if the engine mount bolts will tighten or just turn. If they don't spin, it isn't always a indication of good stringers but rather that the wood around the lag bolts is ok. Look for cracking or loose glass on the stingers. If you have mushrooms growing on the stringers then there is really a rot problem!!!

#2 yes - accuracy

#3 the clear deck window is a viewing port to the mechanical gas gauge mounted on the gas tank.

#4 run the engine on unleaded and do not waste your money on any of the so called lead "substitutes". When the time comes for a top end job, then you can look at having it done with all the good stuff like hardened seats and valves.

#5 a drive shaft isn't disconnected for storage! Look into why??

#6 Bronze is normal for a prop, rudder and strut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic