Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Props to TRBenj & a question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Props to TRBenj & a question
    Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:39pm
I have to say Tim was right about the performance of my boat. Although it has been a while since the prop upgrade and discussion which spurred his comments he was correct! I do in fact have GT heads.

[QUOTE=TRBenj] Wow, those numbers are extremely impressive for a standard motor. Theyre actually pretty good for a ProBoss- our '92 with GT40 heads turned 4800 or so with an Acme 422. Youre sure it doesnt have heads on it?

Now for the question, how do I determine if those are original or a po upgrade?
They have GT forged above and below the 4&8 plugs, 22 forged on the top above 4&5 (I think) and 3 raised bars (forged) on each end.
It really doesn't matter, but when I talked to Vince he mentioned that it may have been a rare upgrade for that year and that peaked my interest. FWIW, I could not locate the #'s he suggested that are supposedly on a tag or plate ie PLP or PLD. So I thought I'd ask.

Danny   
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:49pm
'92 was the first year they offered the Proboss option, so it could very well be a factory HO motor. There are 2 ways that I know of to tell if it originally came with the GT40 heads or not. The first is to check the ID tag like Vince said (the P indicates HO, the D indicates the standard engine). The second way would be to pull a head and take a look at the pistons- the Proboss engines had ones with a bigger dish.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 7:09pm
Thanks Tim. I'll look again for the ID tag but I really don't see me taking the head off unwarranted.

Danny
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by duffnit duffnit wrote:

Thanks Tim. I'll look again for the ID tag but I really don't see me taking the head off unwarranted.

Danny, I wouldnt recommend it either! The ID tag would have been somewhere on the intake manifold and looks like this:

duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 10:22pm
Thanks for the visual aid.
I can surely say that tag is not on the intake manifold.
I'll look through the boat and around the engine but I'm not very optimistic about locating it.

Danny
Danny

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 10:32pm
Another way to possibly tell- the paint. If the paint on the heads match that of the block (both color and condition) then thats a good indication that theyre original. The longblock would have been painted after it was assembled, so look closely at the mating surfaces.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 12:09am
Good idea.
I know the po bought the boat and did a short block rebuild. From what I recall the original owner did not winterize the boat.
That being said, I have no idea what was actually done. I will say that the color match is pretty good if not original, but again that's me, mechanically challenged on engines.

Danny
Danny

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 12:18am
Originally posted by duffnit duffnit wrote:

I will say that the color match is pretty good if not original, but again that's me, mechanically challenged on engines.

Danny

well that and the forging comment about the heads doesn't help your case either. It's going to be hard to tell, have you tried CC running the HIN to see they know what was built?
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 10:44am
Good point Chris.
I'm going to check into that. Thanks

Danny
Danny

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic