NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Footin with the PLBC boys

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 10:35am
The MC was a dog out of the hole. It has the 8,000.00 engine upgrade to the 350HP MCX, but it was hurtin' pulling out 3 deeps at the same time out of the hole. I was rocking back and fourth in the drivers seat hoping to give it some help. What I just realized though is that the MC DOES have catalytic converters on it this year. So, in that case, I have to say the boat goes like hell considering the cats.

Very solid feeling boat. All around, really really nice. I don't like how violently those non-PCM trannies engage into gear at idle, it's a bit shocking. I drove that boat for about an hour, then the 206 back-to-back. The 206 felt much sweeter, don't know why. Kinda an un-quantifiable difference. I'd have no problem owning the 197, except I feel that for 60K+, the boat brings nothing to the party.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 10:58am
We should have this local WI beer co. be our official sponsor at Green Lake next year:

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 10:59am
What boat model is best suited for pulling six footers out of the water?????

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:01am
No more Barefoot Nautiques with the 454. I imagine the 2000 Nautique with the 8.1 Python engine would be the best option. I can't see my stock 351 pulling six footers next spring.

Ken
Gotwake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:06am
Chicago Mastercraft does a really good job of getting their boats out on the water for people to ride behind and drive. Not many dealerships (any brand) are willing to bring a boat to any "challange" or event. This dealership does. It makes it nice as you get to see the differences in the boats on the water, not just in a spec sheet or brochure.

By the way, there's already talk around the shop of going for seven...

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:14am
Kurt/Joel,

Any idea what they were turning for a prop?

How about top rpm without skiers, gotta be pretty high if they were still turning 5100 with 5 footers behind.   I would think the rpms would fall off along with the speed.

Gotwake, We're gonna have to talk when we start organizing Green lake 07. Sounds like you're pretty well hooked up in the community and we could use some help.

Alan'
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:14am
Sounds good, Mike. You, me, Keith and Tim will all be taking the same plane home from GL. We just need to sober up prior to getting on the plane. Brad, Larry, are you in? Tim, I know you mentioned you might bring your boat. Maybe he can tow us home after a weekend with the PLBC guys and gals. Hollywood, you'll see how we roll in NE.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:15am
If you could find a 2000 Nautique with the Python, that would be the best way to go. The newer Ski Nautiques (90+) seem to get up on plane much easier than the older Ski and Barefoot Nautiques. The hull designs are probably more efficient and dont plow as much. We had 4 footers behind our '92 10 years ago, though we all stepped off.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Gotwake Gotwake wrote:

Chicago Mastercraft does a really good job of getting their boats out on the water for people to ride behind and drive. Not many dealerships (any brand) are willing to bring a boat to any "challange" or event. This dealership does. It makes it nice as you get to see the differences in the boats on the water, not just in a spec sheet or brochure.

By the way, there's already talk around the shop of going for seven...

I agree. I think it was awesome for you guys to bring one out for us. Thanks again. Again, I thought it was a really nice boat- hope my review didn't sound ungrateful. Certainly not what I was going for.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:19am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Kurt/Joel,

How about top rpm without skiers, gotta be pretty high if they were still turning 5100 with 5 footers behind.   I would think the rpms would fall off along with the speed.

Gotwake, We're gonna have to talk when we start organizing Green lake 07. Sounds like you're pretty well hooked up in the community and we could use some help.

Alan'

The boat topped out faster than any MC I've experienced. The RPM was way up there with no load- the tach was deep into 5k WOT and we were turning at least 45 according to the speedo. The boat really moved when it was on plane. I never paid attention to the speedo or tach that much while driving- just focusing on safely pulling all the footers and not hitting fishermen, pontoons, drop skis, etc.
Gotwake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

What boat model is best suited for pulling six footers out of the water?????
Ken

From MC? 190 with an L18 (450hp)and a really good prop from Acme???

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:20am
Here's a 2001 with the Python engine (150 hours) for sale $40,900. I think this is the one we saw during the cleaning clinic at NECC.
This would be perfect for power and rope attachments.

Ken
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:21am
Alan and Joel,

The prop was a 3 blade Acme,
13.25 x 15

That would explain some.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Now all you need is a connection with a beer supplier

Would my next door neighbor count?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:27am
Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Alan and Joel,

The prop was a 3 blade Acme,
13.25 x 15

That would explain some.

Erk said on the MC site that the boat tops out at 45-46 @5100 RPM with 2 people and a full tank of gas. I believe the MCX has the 1.26:1 powerslot. Those prostar hulls just dont seem very efficient.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:29am
For me, I need about 40MPH to step off long line or I'm toast. I can only imagine the drag on any boat with pulling 5-6 barefooters deepwater start, then establishing the correct speed for all footers. You're over-working the engine at that point, IMO. I imagine 375HP is the minimum. The Python has some serious torque too, which should overcome the drag. Problem is, the Python is no longer an option on CC boats.

Ken
Gotwake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:30am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Kurt/Joel,

Alan'

The prop was a "test prop" from Acme. Chicago MC has a really good relationship with Acme, and they send over props quite a bit to try out. It was a 13.25 x 15 three blade. It did really well providing grunt and top end. Alan - anything you need, let me know! Always willing to help out.

No worries on the review and no way ungrateful! In my opinion that's what it's all about and honesty is appreciated. You see so many threads on brand X sucks or is great and the people making the posts haven't driven the boats! Only one real way to know...
I do like the dealership attitude, they put a boat on the water for you, and zero pressure from the sales guys. They let the boat do the talking, good and bad.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Now all you need is a connection with a beer supplier

Would my next door neighbor count?

I make my own beer at home- I'll have to brew up a special NE '07 Brew
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:35am
Hollywood,

We need to start building in the beer budget for GL next year. Maybe we can get a sponsor? We know we already have poster boys for the beer. Designated boat drivers are a must too. I don't want to end up over some waterfall or dam.

Do we need to start reserving campgrounds, hotels, motels now?

Ken
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:40am

Hollywood,

We need to start building in the beer budget for GL next year. Maybe we can get a sponsor? We know we already have poster boys for the beer. Designated boat drivers are a must too. I don't want to end up over some waterfall or dam.

Do we need to start reserving campgrounds, hotels, motels now?

Ken

The Goose Blind may as well sponsor us, we probably put one of their kids through college from the reunion income.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:42am

I make my own beer at home- I'll have to brew up a special NE '07 Brew

Nice, Brad. We'll have it all ready for GL. I don't think the boys can handle it though. You can make your finished basement into a brewery.

Ken
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:42am

Brad, Larry, are you in?

Ken- don't think I'll make out there this year.You guys should definitely go.

PS- I'll sneak a couple cases under Benj's boat cover for the ride West..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:45am
No problem, Brad. You have the little one on the way. We'll have plenty of time next year on Lost Lake. Get ready for April 1st! You need to get yourself a barefoot suit too.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:47am
Tim is still a "youte", he can most certainly keep the pace going with Hollywood and gang. My money is on Tim. Go Tim, go!!!

Two youtes

Ken
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:50am
How do west coasters get in on this action ? Where is Green Lake, When is it going to happen and what do I need to bring ( other than man soda's and poontang ). It sounds way to fun to miss out on !!
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:54am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Hollywood,

Ken

The Goose Blind may as well sponsor us, we probably put one of their kids through college from the reunion income.

They would happy to do it Joel.. And yes, UW Oshkosh would probably make out as well LOL... Only problem is the party will need to be in my back yard, since getting a permit to sell beers in that park is next to impossible to get.. But that's ok, My garage is a great spot to leave the leftovers !!!

I have some ideas about GL next year. Let's plan a gathering, and a yes, drown some brain cells while discussing the 07' event...

Moj'

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:55am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

The MC was a dog out of the hole. It has the 8,000.00 engine upgrade to the 350HP MCX, but it was hurtin' pulling out 3 deeps at the same time out of the hole.

During our previous outing Hollywood, Booby and I did 3 deeps behind the 206, it pulled us right up, IRC Hollywood compared it to single behind his boat.

All of this talk does have me thinking if re-propping my boat could increase performance.

You know we never did run em side by side w/o skiers to compare hole shot and top end.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:57am
Todicus,

Did you see the GL reunion page from this year? It has all the info you need. I don't think the 2007 info is ready to be posted. Us east coast folks will either buy plane tickets or drive. I recommend you do the same. It's the Disney World of Correctcraftfan.com!

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:58am

For me, I need about 40MPH to step off long line or I'm toast. I can only imagine the drag on any boat with pulling 5-6 barefooters deepwater start, then establishing the correct speed for all footers. You're over-working the engine at that point, IMO. I imagine 375HP is the minimum. The Python has some serious torque too, which should overcome the drag. Problem is, the Python is no longer an option on CC boats.

Ken

Ken, the motor is already pushing 2500lbs of boat through the water- a few extra footers wont hurt it. Think of all the wakeboarders running 2500lbs of ballast on a hull that already weighs 3500+ lbs. I bet my boat could pull 6 footers, as could a newer Ski Nautique.

Brad, home brew? Now we're talking!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 12:03pm
Wisconsin will need to have the National Guard on alert with all of us together .
I'm really looking forward to '07, GL. We'll recruit more east coast folks. The sandbar will be packed tight like a blivit. Keep us all posted on the progress!

Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic