NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Mustang Stringer Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 15>
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 11:40am
Thanks Jeff. I got the Harbor Freight planer. I removed the exhaust transom wood without it though. Ground around the edges then gently popped them out with a flat bar. Actually both sides where solid. The center transom piece seems to be as well so I'm thinking I'm going to leave that in as well as the newer swim platform pieces.

I think I'm mostly through with the grinding. Minus the main stringers. Cleared out the gel from the bilge. Got the wood out from the water pickups. Will have to get the rudder wood out once a main is out.

Also have one of my secondaries scribed and cut. Think it went pretty well, seems to fit. Have to adjust the height and embed. All my USC materials are here now.

Eric you out there? I assume you got my transmission????
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 3:29pm
I popped out the freeze plugs in the block yesterday so I can replace them with brass. If y'all recall, the previous owner had put a temporary rubber one in that failed on me last year causing overheating. The hole for that plug is rusty and not smooth at all like the rest. I assume it should be pretty smooth when I install the new ones. Any tips?

Thanks!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 9:17am
yes, all done and ready to ship. the power planer is the ***************, I refaced my entire deck with that thing, skimmed the bottem of my doors inside the house, many uses
"the things you own will start to own you"
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 11:09am
Thanks Eric!

You refaced your deck at your house with it? I was thinking about doing the same. Mines only about 8x10 so I wouldn't think it would take to long. Probably better than sanding down.

Looking forward to having a healthy transmission this year.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 11:10am
Shouldn't the tops of all the stingers be straight and level? Minus any notches. If I lay a straight edge on top of my original mains there is quite a dip in them. I would think for the floor to lay flat the stringers should all be straight on top.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 10:45pm
I now have my secondaries ready to install. First I have to CPES. Question, how long should the CPES set in before I bed the stringers? The instructions say let it dry 2 days before applying epoxy. What do you guys think? I would like to get them installed this weekend but that won't happen if I have to wait 2 days.

I also sanded the stringers with 80 grit. Do they need to be roughed up any more?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 11:45pm
I think you will be fine to install them this weekend as long as its not too cold and the cpes is not still sticky. I did not do any roughing up so you should be good there too.

Maybe its not such a big deal for the stringer tops to be nice and level if you build the floor like they did from the factory. With a ply floor I would think the more level it is the better it will turn out.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 1:28am
Hay Vondy! if you used the warm cpes, 12 hrs is good to start working!
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 1:32am
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Shouldn't the tops of all the stingers be straight and level? Minus any notches. If I lay a straight edge on top of my original mains there is quite a dip in them. I would think for the floor to lay flat the stringers should all be straight on top.
Hay Vond if the tops are not exactly straight the thickened epoxy will fill the voids. straighter the better tho.Jeff
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 2:41am
I seem to have gotten the tops of my secondaries nice and straight. Going to base the mains off of that. I've based my height off of the current engine mount points. On the original mains, from the mounting points, the stingers taper down towards the stern. Strange, guess it didn't matter with all the foam. My new ones will all be on the same level.

Yes I have the warm weather CPES. Seems like it would not be a big deal since the CPES is epoxy and I will be bedding them in epoxy. But what do I know....

Saturday's high is 90. Do you all think I can treat tomorrow morning and bed Sunday?

Thanks guys! Making some progress.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 1:23pm
You should be good to do them on Sunday.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 1:29pm

Yes I have the warm weather CPES. Seems like it would not be a big deal since the CPES is epoxy and I will be bedding them in epoxy. But what do I know....

CPES contains epoxy, but it also contains solvents. This is what gives it such a thin consistency, allowing it to soak into the wood. Its important to let the solvents flash off before you glass over it. You only want the epoxy part of the CPES to be left behind.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

CPES contains epoxy, but it also contains solvents. This is what gives it such a thin consistency, allowing it to soak into the wood. Its important to let the solvents flash off before you glass over it. You only want the epoxy part of the CPES to be left behind.

Thanks, that makes sense.

So if it's not sticky would that mean it's good to go?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 11:28am
All CPESed.

My goals by this weekend is to have them bedded and one of the mains cut out, ground down, scribed, trimmed to fit and CPESed.

I was going to epoxy some fiberglass to the bottom of my drainage hole before bedding. After I bed, how do I handle the drain area as far as running tape and wrapping the stringers? Go over the hole and cut out? Leave a space then come back over the wood on top of the drain so there are no week areas? Ideas?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 11:30am
Look what came in from Eric.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 2:24pm
I glassed the drain holes just like you are showing above before bedding. When it came to glassing around them, well it was one of the trickier areas. I think I tried glassing over and then cutting away once and it was a huge PITA. Then I just used that as a stopping point for the tape to the hull, and wrapped from the top.

That trans looks sweet! I have a feeling Eric is going to end up with mine at the end of the season. At least I hope it makes it through another season...

Here is a pic of the drain area. You can kind of see how I broke up the pieces in that area and around the notches. The notches are a real pain!

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 2:35pm
David,
Wrap the first layer of glass into the drain holes as you go. Since you're pre glassing the holes, one extra layer of glass from the sides is fine. Then subsequent layers just do a half moon cutout.

That's some nice look'n wood!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
Wrap the first layer of glass into the drain holes as you go. Since you're pre glassing the holes, one extra layer of glass from the sides is fine. Then subsequent layers just do a half moon cutout.

That's some nice look'n wood!!

Thanks for the help guys. Yes Pete it's a shame no one will ever see the wood again. Hate to cover it up.

Oh well, I'll know it's there.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 3:06pm

Look what came in from Eric.

remember to put ATF before using!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 3:07pm
Ah yes that wood looks wonderfull, nice work!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 6:24pm
Secondaries are bedded.

How long have you guys been waiting before you take the weights off and filet?
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 7:05pm
I think I left them overnight. Only really takes a couple hours to kick and be done. Looks great, dude.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 7:19pm
On the primaries, make sure you radius the tops with a 1/4 round bit on your router. It makes wrapping the biax easier, since it doesn't like to make sharp turns. With your secondaries, they'll only get biax up the sides, and cloth over the top. You'll want to watch the tops to make sure the cloth stays in contact with the wood.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 8:10pm
David,
Look'n great! Yes, I agree with Mike - all that's needed is for the epoxy to kick (start turning to a solid).

BTW, who's patio did you have to rip up?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 9:45pm
Thanks guys. I rounded over the secondaries with a 1/4 inch bit and will do the same for the primaries.

Pete that was part of my back patio, since has been replaced with a deck. I have about a ton of brick as well that was half buried in my back yard. I knew it would eventually come in handy
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 6:54pm
Hey David, lookin great. I would love to come by and see that before you're finished if that would be alright with you. I have to do my SN this winter.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 11:11am
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

Hey David, lookin great. I would love to come by and see that before you're finished if that would be alright with you. I have to do my SN this winter.

Sure thing Jeff, I'll be working on her this coming up weekend if you wanna drop by.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 11:26am
What do you think guys? My old stringers were 1.5 thick and these are 1.75 thick. I set my templates up so that the new stringer would fall in the center of the old stringer. So there would be an .125 inch extra on the outside and inside. Now I'm thinking I might need to adjust so that the inside distance between the two new mains is the same as the old ones. Put the extra .25 inch towards the secondaries. I say this because the starter bump in the bellhousing is about .125 from the new stringer when centered up.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 11:45am
David,
Kick the mains outward so you have the same amount of room for the engine. Keep in mind you'll probably end up with slightly more glass on them that what came out of the factory. Also, get a measurement between the mains and secondaries to make sure there's enough room for the exhaust. There should be because you aren't putting mufflers in correct?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 12:42pm
Thanks for reminding me about the exhaust! No mufflers, keeping the fiberglass tubing as is.

That brings me to another question. There was almost like a fiberglass sleeve built up around the stainless exhaust tips where they went through the hull. I probably have a pic somewhere. Should I rebuild like that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 15>
  Share Topic