NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pour in Method - anti-freeze

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 8:51pm
While we are talking plugs...and I have looked at the manuals in the reference section...I count 5 on my PCM351.   2 on the block, 2 on the exhaust manifolds and one on the tranny cooler. Do I have them all?

Thanks
Just because you can does not mean you should.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by WOFTAM WOFTAM wrote:

While we are talking plugs...and I have looked at the manuals in the reference section...I count 5 on my PCM351.   2 on the block, 2 on the exhaust manifolds and one on the tranny cooler. Do I have them all?

Thanks

Mike,
You forgot the "J" tube on the forward end of the engine. There's a picture in the manual if needed.

Don't mess with the drain on the trans cooler drain plug. Just pull the hose off the end running to the raw water pump. Actually, I've seen some pretty mangled trans coolers from people trying to get the drain plugs out. The shell on them is real thin and bends easy. Some coolers don't even have the plugs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 10:44pm
Another couple questions. I have a heater and shower which the previous owner installled. Do I need to blow air through the lines to get all the water out?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Wacko Wacko wrote:

Another couple questions. I have a heater and shower which the previous owner installled. Do I need to blow air through the lines to get all the water out?

Unless it was installed with the core inlet/outlet on the bottom and the the hoses pitched back to the bilge, then you will need to blow it out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2010 at 10:55am
conversation yesterday, can you easy out my manifold plugs? are they brass, yes.
he rounded them.
cure, after removing, index finger tight with wrench and never sieze.
also i try not to use any sealant and it is one place i will use teflon tape as pete indicates on steel....teflon sealant drys and locks and you need heat to break loose.
seeing the same round of boats again and no problems ever, plugs come right out.

these plugs fill a void they are not there to hold back pressure and they do not need to be overtightened
"the things you own will start to own you"
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 12:49pm
I live in MI Only one year did I do the antifreeze method and that year it disintegrated my impeller, since then I just drain the block fog the carb, change oil.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

I live in MI Only one year did I do the antifreeze method and that year it disintegrated my impeller, since then I just drain the block fog the carb, change oil.

Kirk,
What impeller do you use? I have heard that there are some cheap ones out there made with some pretty inferior rubber compounds. Stick with the OEM Sherwood or Jabsco.

This thread: "25 year old impellers" covers what I found this spring. They were still working without any cooling issues but where OEM impellers.

What type of antifreeze did you use? I had always used the regular 50/50 mix of automotive and then I'd say about 15 years ago switched to the RV. As noted in the linked thread, the only thing I feel the RV went after was the 1964 hoses attached directly to the pump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 6:20pm
I always go to my local correct craft dealer and get PCM parts
my pump is a Sherwood
Kirk
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

this will be my second year of drain only...no antifreeze...i couldn't find a compelling reason to spend money on antifreeze...

These kinds of comments just kill me.
How about the cost of a block verses a gallon of anti-freeze?

I hear comments like this with the snowmobiles. Guys will pay 12 grand for the latest and greatest sled but then run some cheap aftermarket 2 stroke oil because its 5 dollars a gallon cheaper than factory recommended oil.

The sled oil comment is really a wrong one to make.

As long as it is rated the same as the factory recommended oil, it is just fine. Actually, unless the sled manufacturer (or OB or any other 2 stroke machine) provides the oil they "require" you to use free of charge to maintain any warranty, they legally can't deny warrnaty claims.

One funny fact about sled oils is in say Yamalube 2 stroke oil, it is the exact same oil that gets sold at fleet farm for 10 dollars a gallon in the "Arctic Blue" brand. It just costs less, but comes from the same vats at the place it is made.   On the yamaha sled site I'm on, one guy works for the company that makes both of those, and many other oils.

Back to winterizing the SN, though. Yeah, we had 2 close to frost advisories here, but not yet. Away from Lake Michigan, they had frost,and freeze warnings for most of the state.   

I will probably winterize mine this week.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

I always go to my local correct craft dealer and get PCM parts
my pump is a Sherwood
Kirk

Kirk,
Have you ever shopped for OEM parts at any place besides the dealer? Better pricing without a doubt!!

Did the impeller come in a shrink wrapped Sherwood package? Sorry but I wouldn't trust the dealer from cutting corners and peddling aftermarket parts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 10:42pm
Winterized the 502 today. Ran, drained, ran in 4.5 gallons of RV and called it a season. Will get the Mustang in 2 weeks.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 2:58pm
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is raising and lowering the nose of the trailer. I have noticed that if I take all the plugs out and then raise the jack all the way up and all the way down a lot of water comes out of the block.

I think this should be done to make sure all the high points and low points of the blocks get emptied.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2010 at 9:47pm
Ran the martinique several hours today. 80 degrees and perfect today with almost no boat traffic. On a Saturday in summer, that would never have happened.

I plan on running it one more time, when I take it back up north to store.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 12:05am
I am glad I do not live up north. Brutally cold up there.. This stinks, I have to put mine to bed next week...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 9:26am
I pulled the Atom home from GL this year due to the shop project up north due to needing the room up there to store the cabinets going in the shop. I'm pulling it back north this week and yesterday realized it would be a smart idea to winterize here maximizing my 4 day weekend for the shop "trim out". I had my oil sucker here but the rest was up north. Ran to Napa last week for oil, Stabil (marine) and fogging oil. They had to order the fogging oil!!! The economy has got lots of inventories down to very low levels!

The Atom's done and ready for the winter.

The Tique got it's winterizing on Labor day.

The X55 never got off the beams in the boathouse!    But, it was the sacrifice of time needed on the shop project!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 10:36am
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

I am glad I do not live up north. Brutally cold up there..

I'm glad I don't live down south. Brutally hot and humid down there!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

My thoughts exactly Pete.
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 3:56pm
By the way, what's the difference between the marine and RV antifreezes?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 4:34pm

Pete,

I am sure we say the same thing to each other. You would get used to it over time...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 4:56pm

Pete,

I am sure we say the same thing to each other. You would get used to it over time...

I doubt that very much. Up here all it takes is another layer of clothes. Down in the heat, you can only take off so much unless you want to get arrested!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 5:37pm
When you are still too hot in the banana hammock, then it's simply too hot.

The only way I could get used to the heat and humidity is if I were in the water all day, or in air conditioning all day.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

By the way, what's the difference between the marine and RV antifreezes?

I'm under the impression that the Marine/Stuff is one in the same. What's different is the automotive. The Automotive stuff is pad for people/animals/the environment to ingest.

The RV stuff, is ok, at least more ok if it leaks onto the ground and stuff. That's why you wouldn't want to use the automotive stuff in a situation where it just blows out the boats exhaust onto the ground. If a dog came along and licked it up, it would be a bad situation.

On living down south, I'd definitely take the longer boating season that what we get in NH.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 11:16pm
Pete,
I would drink myself silley even up there to keep myself warm..

I have a rather weird assumption... The south have longer summers, but it seems that the norhthern boats have more hrs on there boats? Go figure... I seem to now be able to figure that one out.... I just crossed 810 on mine. I always see up north anywhere from 200-600 more hrs on boats up there. What the hell yall into?   
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2010 at 8:43am

I have a rather weird assumption... The south have longer summers, but it seems that the norhthern boats have more hrs on there boats? Go figure... I seem to now be able to figure that one out.... I just crossed 810 on mine. I always see up north anywhere from 200-600 more hrs on boats up there. What the hell yall into?   

I too have a weird assumption. Up here we have more hours on other items like snow machines!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2010 at 9:39am
anticipation...were locked up all winter
"the things you own will start to own you"
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2010 at 5:03pm

Pete,

Down here we get in our boats, drive to our spot, jump in the water, hang on the swim platform and drink beer all day. Up there the water is too cold to sit in all day so they just drive around a lot. At least that's my theory
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2010 at 5:17pm

What the hell yall into?   

That's not sand on the waters edge!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2010 at 7:29pm
Stopped by the local CC dealer. They wanted around $450 to winterize our 05 Super Air. Does anyone know the best way to winterize the ballast system? He also said that we need to winterize the heater? Is this guy really just trying to screw me or what? Any advice would help.
Also we have a shower, anything need to be done with that?
thatdude596 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2010 at 8:00pm
^^that seems insane. i can see 200-250 from a dealer..
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2010 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by drtybrdy9 drtybrdy9 wrote:

Does anyone know the best way to winterize the ballast system? He also said that we need to winterize the heater? Is this guy really just trying to screw me or what? Any advice would help.
Also we have a shower, anything need to be done with that?

Have you read your manual?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic