NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The year of the carb...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 12:45pm
Yesterday I emailed the source on this topic. Here's what they said,

"Hello,

Summit offers some marine carbs on their web site.

I would go for the 500 CFM 2v or the 450 4V for a bit more top end.

It does need to be a real marine carb for safety. The marine units have an overflow into the ventures so a stuck float will not fill the boat with fuel.

Lee Holman"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 5:46pm
Asleep at the wheel again, that's me, and missed all this. First, an apology to Tim if I stated or implied that the 2V was or should be a 500cfm as I don't think that to be the case either.   

One quick note on Gary's: That engine tag says yours is a 289 built in 1968!

I'll jump back on later, not that Vondy needs any more help.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 6:08pm
Reid I can use all the help I can get.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 12:41am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

One quick note on Gary's: That engine tag says yours is a 289 built in 1968!

Yea my block was changed out at sometime with a 302,don't tell Pete it's not original
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 1:20am
Here's your choices 4 bbl and manifold or 2 bbl 300 cfm,2 bbl 500cfm each has it's own merrits but one thing I noticed is the 2bbl 500 is a universal carb,the other 2 are for a Ford 302
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 2:18am

I posted these pic's Dave of my installation of a 450 cfm 4 bbl to show you what was involved with the change.If you change to a 4 bbl,you'll need the manifold,gaskets and pipe plugs (those blue plugs in the pic's) to fill holes you don't use.I bought a 4bbl wedge spacer to match the one that Holman Moody used. Some here say you don't need one,but I put one on just for the pcv hose connection.I then fabricated a bracket for the throttle,which I'm changing over to a Pleasure Craft Marine (PCM) bracket since I like the adjustment better,and I think I needed a new cable because it needed to come under the motor from the back and up to the carb. I think the original 2bbl had the cable going over the front of the motor to the carb.
Or you just pretty much bolt on the 2 bbl and maybe just change out the cable and the cable mount.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 3:25am
Thanks Gary. Pretty certain I decided on the 4bbl. I did notice on Holley's site the the 450 4bbl was calibrated for the 302.

Does the carb not have a pcv port?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 10:41am
In a word, no. But I think and others will conferm that you could take that pcv hose fom the valve cover and use a hose fitting instead of one of those blue plugs in the manifold. I think you'll be happy with your choice.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 12:48pm
One of these days Gary, my engine will look that good!

Is your flat cap a standard Mallory Marine?
Cap
I'm looking to replace that as well.

I also like the yellow wires on the Ford blue.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 2:42pm
Gary's carb may not have a vacuum port for the PCV, but a new Holly will.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Gary's carb may not have a vacuum port for the PCV, but a new Holly will.

unless they're listing a different picture than the actual carb there is only a port for the fuel pump overflow and no PCV port.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 5:06pm
The PVC port on the new 4160's is on the back- at least it is on my 750cfm. Alan has one on his 600cfm. I cant say where it is on the 450cfm, but Id be surprised if it didnt have one.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 5:51pm
I'm as surprised as Tim's gonna be, but we've got several new 450's which we've just installed and for some reason these don't have PCV port and have a slightly different carb base plate. ???? Now maybe since these were made they've decided to incorporate the port, but I'd call Holley or plan to get a spacer. I got a new 600 last year and it had the port.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 5:57pm
Wow, thats weird! I wonder if its because they sell so much fewer of the 450cfm's that they still havent been converted to the new style yet. That vacuum port sure is convenient.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 7:45pm
Guess I'll add that to the list. Any recommendations? There's a ton of them on Summit.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 10:16pm
Yes my carb is pretty old,I bought it used and rebuilt it. There was no way I was going to pay more for a carb than I paid for the boat That looks like the cap Dave, but that seems high,maybe the one I was looking at wasn't marine. I stopped at Summit on the way home from the river run to get one for myself around 530pm.It was Saturday and they had 2 guys working the counter,the line was so long I'd still be there. Incredible place tho,one giant candy shop.
At the time I could not find a spacer with a pcv port so I took a phenolic one drilled a hole and epoxyed in a pipe to match my pcv hose and from there Dremeled slots to the primary side of the spacer matching the ones in the original HM spacer.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 11:52pm
I emailed Summit about the cap and they said this,

"Instead of that cap, you may want this one:cap
It is the same cap, but for some reason is cheaper because it is through Mallory and not Mallory Marine!"

Is there a difference in marine and auto caps? The only difference I saw was that the marine said that the terminals were made of high quality brass. But the auto one says they are made of brass as well????

It's probably good we do not have a Summit around here

So I can run the valve directly to the manifold if I want? I do get some oil build up in my spacer, that's OK for the manifold I assume?

What about one of these instead...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2010 at 12:08am
Yes, I believe that flat top distributor cap will work. Theres nothing marine specific about the cap as far as I know.

Yes, you can run the PCV valve to the intake manifold. No, you do not want a breather cap instead of the PCV- you can run both, but theyre not the same.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2010 at 1:30am
That was the cap I had found,50 bucks is pushing it.I think the difference could be is that some caps have a breather hole in them,but you could just epoxy it closed and save some bucks
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2010 at 2:44pm
Gary what kind of plug wires are you running? There's about a thousand of them out there. For some reason I'm having more trouble figuring out a new set of wires than a new carb... at least the carb is figured out now.

I'm running the MSD Blaster High Vibration Coil and Mallory e-spark conversion.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2010 at 5:51pm
Vondy, the only difference between automotive and marine plug wires are the length... but thats an important difference. I prefer to route my wires around the manifolds and up to the plugs. Automotive wires will be shorter and will require you to route them over the valve covers and through the manifolds. Id stick with the marine set- SkiDIM has decent pricing.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2010 at 9:44pm
Dave I made those wires from bulk Accel 7mm solid core wire. I crimped and soldered the ends. I think your e spark conversion needs 8mm wires tho.If you still have the HM valvecovers with the wire guide in place you can go with the auto ones but if you don't, go with Tims idea and come up from underneath.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 2:49pm
I do have the wire guides. Can't use solid core with my e-spark. Think I'll go with these unless someone thinks it's the wrong move.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 1:32pm
Those would be the exact wires I would be ordering if I were you.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 1:51pm
I assume those are good wires for a modern Vortec? Does DIM still offer 10% discount to some web sites?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 2:27pm
Bruce, double check what type of terminals are on your dist... if its an HEI style (male pins) then you may need a different style.

SkiDIM has a discounts page.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic