NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 13>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

But keep in mind that those who post on public sites like that are the one's lacking in that department.

Damn it, I must be really lacking then!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

But keep in mind that those who post on public sites like that are the one's lacking in that department.

Damn it, I must be really lacking then!

Maybe you shoud change your name to "Hardlywood"!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Maybe you shoud change your name to "Hardlywood"!

Chris,
That one really made me LMAO!!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 4:20pm
HW, Quinner...you both win for lmao of the day!

Onto boat flipping....
Ran home at lunch and grabbed the camera.

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 4:22pm
and more

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 4:24pm
and more

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 4:26pm
back in the garage....

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 4:29pm
Great job. The boat looks amazing. It's hard to believe it used to be red.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 4:37pm
What is all that white stuff ??
With all the gloves and coats, looks to be cold too.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 4:42pm
Bruce,

It's getting there. There's still a little bit of red where the trailer covered the hull. It'll be gone. But yes, you're right. Very hard to believe. The green is going to be a bear to remove. It's a flecked paint and has that grey primer that I love so much underneath. No major repairs though. I'm pleased.

Chelle'
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

LOL! Oh yeah...it was dreadful cold
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 4:46pm
Sometimes I have to remind myself...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

I was thinking about you southern guys yesterday as I was out grilling in what was left of a little snow storm. If you've never lived up here in the winter, then you've never had the pleasure of digging a beer out of a snow bank. That is the best way to chill beer, especially after a day of spring skiing. You get back to the truck and your really parched, and you start digging through the snow for those beers you hid in the morning.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 7:39pm
We went out snow boarding yesterday after the big storm. Beautiful day out!
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:08pm
Nice flip. That is pretty damned smart. I have heard of it but not seen pics.
You need to get a regular furnace or a radiant heater in there. It would have to make it more confortable and less fumey.

For you guys in the south, 15cm. of SNOW today, and minus 20 tonight. We cannot do anything but work on our boats.

Not using the standard US unit of measure for anything on this thread until it is in double digits.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:13pm
my observation, your more boss than employee, probably didnt want to break a nail lol, my lmao for the day
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:17pm
You're just jealous because with that face for radio of yours standing around and looking pretty isn't an option.

<-- LMAO
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:48pm
Bwahahahaha,
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:55pm
Crap, just lost another inch.

Quinner - Stay out of it from what Brownie tells me you don't have much to lose.
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 9:26pm
Do you have the deck sanded AND polished already?

You definitely had the option of just flipping it in the snowbank!!!LOL

Where's the food??
70 Mustang project
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 11:04pm
where's the beer? I would really consider using the boat as a sled, pledge the bottem and it will feel like the chevy option
"the things you own will start to own you"
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 2:15am
WoW, Been gone traveling for the holidays and now trying to get caught up at home and finally took a look to see how you are doing. Holy cow you have made a lot of progress. The small army of guys came in handy too. I think that's called the reserves.I should ask Blinky, he would know.
The yuk yel is going to look great. I am glad you stuck with it. At this rate you will be done in time for the regatta!
I just got a cool idea, for the antique boat parade the kids can ski by the crowd in period correct swim wear and skis. The pilot in a white skippers cap. maybe blinky with a pipe in his mouth....HA!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 11:12am
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

Do you have the deck sanded AND polished already?

Where's the food??

The deck is sanded, not polished. We'll go over it again after we're done gelling the bottom up to the rubrails.
Food in the house, beer in the snow outside.

Eric, I was going to reply to your comment, but HW did a fine job with that already.

Chelle
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 11:16am
Originally posted by skinaut skinaut wrote:

The yuk yel is going to look great. I am glad you stuck with it. At this rate you will be done in time for the regatta!

Wouldn't that be great? One more circle to run in. That's a wonderful idea with the period suits and all. I don't know if everyone would appreciate that or not? I know the antique boat "people" would. First regatta meeting is Thursday. Here we go.

Chelle'
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 11:22am
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

You need to get a regular furnace or a radiant heater in there. It would have to make it more confortable and less fumey.

Wouldn't that be nice? Although the torpedo heater isn't plugged in very long and the garage is pretty well insulated, so it stays warm for a while before it needs heated again. Maybe down the road there's a radiant heater in store...we'll see how many more projects I come up with.
Chelle'
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 4:18pm
Sanity,
WoW! Just read the entire thread! Sure beats studying for class! Your work is definitely inspiring as I will be going through the same process with a 70 skier here in the near future! I'm learning lots just by reading! Being at school limits my shop time. As for now I will have to follow your thread and wish I was home with the boat!

Looks great! Lets see some more pics!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 11:46am
What a mess

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 11:59am
We are doing the same thing on the wood boat right now. It does make a mess in a hurry, Id rather do about anything than sand at this point...Keep up the good work!
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 12:15pm
Chelle,
And the boat is yellow !!!! I was wondering how you'd get that nasty black paint off the bottom.. Just getting after it did the job I see... Looks awesome !! Great job!!

Now where's that guy with the camera to get some gel???

What are you going to do for powering this rig??

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 12:35pm
Michele- will you take the gell right down to the fibreglass? Do any of your advisers express concern about the new gell being too thick in some spots and prone to cracking or craising?
Glad to see your helper has gloves, mask and eye protection!!!
70 Mustang project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic