Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2829303132 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 8:32pm
Remind us what is going under your glass pan?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 8:43pm
John,
Go with the gal. of CPES but I feel you will need more.

I've never seen aluminum or SS wedges. Cast iron yes and they were made in two sizes. Give Jim a call and see if he has any. What's the matter with some nice White Oak wedges? The only difference is you need to drill a hole for the lag after you get the alignment set.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Go with the gal. of CPES but I feel you will need more.

I've never seen aluminum or SS wedges. Cast iron yes and they were made in two sizes. Give Jim a call and see if he has any. What's the matter with some nice White Oak wedges? The only difference is you need to drill a hole for the lag after you get the alignment set.

The holes are already drilled in my wedges and with the fiberglass work I'm pretty certain they won't be in the proper place. If I make new wedges and drill holes I feel it is equally likely they will not be centered on the existing holes in the stringers. I could try to cut slots, but if someone makes a slotted wedge that would be a simple solution. I would like to align it using the original stringer holes to avoid unnecessary holes in the structure.
I will give your source a try, they do'nt need to be SS or aluminum, I was just trying to avoid corrosion. There will be a few things tht aren't original such as the prop shaft. I think I need a double taper model. That hub is a bugger and I don't like using a torch in the bilge if the running gear needs to be serviced.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Remind us what is going under your glass pan?

Marine plywood treated with CPES Gary. I don't know of many other options. It worked good for you, right? I view yours as the gold standard.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 9:46pm
John.
Just to confirm how the wedges work, the holes in the stringers stay no matter what you use for wedges. If a mount point needs to go up or down by moving the wedge fore of aft, and the hole in the wedge is in the wrong spot, the hole is elongated. If you make new wood wedges, you need to drill a hole.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 10:19pm
Thanks Pete, I understand the concept. I can re-use mine, just thought it would be easier to tap on a metal wedge and avoid the wedge crush factor when tightening the bolts, and dimension changes with humidity. It probably has minimal effects though considering some of the misalignment I have seen without noticeable ill effects. If this was your Atom or launch I would think differently about any changes, but no one really takes these plastic boats seriously.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 10:21pm
I actually used floor underlayment some of it 5 ply approx 1/4", cpes'ed and then glassed with 4oz cloth. I would get a gallon that way when you need more it will be fresher too. Between my complete Mustang floor including the toe board and rear removable panel and a 3x2 foot hatch from the Shamrock with a double layer of 1/4 5 ply I have about 8oz left from 1 gallon. Pete,how do you tell what kind of oak it is? I had a tree fall in the back and as I was cutting it up realized it was oak. All the bark was off but the heartwood is really nice. I was wondering what to do with it,maybe I'll make myself some wedges

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 10:41pm
The other option I can think of is get a sheet of Coosa. Light, easy, and no need to spend the time on CPES, cloth, epoxy ect. It may be easier and faster for me.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 10:54pm
Gary,
Are the pictures of the wood from the tree you mentioned? That looks like Red Oak but it also could be Ash since the color could be off. The Red leans towards the reds and then of coarse the White to the whites. The classic White Oak when quarter sawn shows the rays in it's grain. They call it "tiger stripping". Think of old Oak furniture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 11:00pm
We used a really nice quality mahogany marine plywood in our Cuda. Great stuff, very solid and 11 plys. I've since seen some boats done with Star Board, which I was unfamiliar with, but seems like a very good alternative.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

We used a really nice quality mahogany marine plywood in our Cuda. Great stuff, very solid and 11 plys. I've since seen some boats done with Star Board, which I was unfamiliar with, but seems like a very good alternative.

Did you leave the mahogany as an exposed floor? Either way it is far nicer than anything that's going in my boat, and I would still need to finish it. I was more on the cheap, light, plastic sandwich board to cut, bond, cover, and forget. I am looking for some degree of easy.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 12:05am
I have never seen coosa and have always thought too late about asking Joe or Tim to bring a piece with them some time. Do you have to finish the edge that you cut off? Nice thing about a Mustang is that you have short spans to cover over,I think the biggest ones are right in front of the seats. It may be easier to use it when all said and done. Can you get it around here easy enough John?
Pete I think your right it might be red oak. I have/had tons of ash,when it's missing the bark you can tell it's ash by the ash bore tracks! None on this and the grain structure is just different than ash- that and it has an unusual smell when first cut that I have never noticed with ash.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 1:02am
One way to tell red from white oak is to make a clean saw cut and look at the end grain. Red will have small tubes (some call them soda straws). White oak will be tight. You almost need to see a piece of each side by side to learn to differentiate the difference, it is subtle. white oak has more sapwood content also (bright white areas )..You can buy chemical test kits also.

"Soda Straws" in red oak, Image enlarged.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 1:46am
Nice info on the oak wood.
Gary, The Coosa website refers to Total Plastics with many locations, one is in Elk Grove. I called them some time back and it involves a shipping charge, but they can have it delivered it to your house. I think it comes in 10 or 12' lengths too. It's been a while since I called over there. .

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 5:39am
Dave,
Is that picture of a piece of engineered? I looks laminated. I'm still looking and it looks similar to the stuff I want. 3/4", 7&3/4" face, "rustic", oiled and wire brushed White Oak. I just need my wife to decide on a color.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 7:37am
I'm a huge fan of Coosa, but with wood stringers below, I don't think I would bother with the expense. It's easy to work with in terms of cutting (normal wood working blades cut through like butter), and it doesn't warp, crack or need CPES- but it's not without prep. It's a foam and glass impregnated composite, so it doesn't hold screws all that well. You'd want a layer of cloth on each side to help with that. I also put an additional layer of mat on top for impact resistance. Definitely a forever solution but it's not a quick-and-easy one. There may be other composite options to consider with that in mind, but I am not familiar with them.

In the name of cost effectiveness and ease of installation, it's probably going to be hard to beat good old exterior ply, if you're good with CPES. Marine is nice stuff but isn't needed for a simple floor. Pressure treated may be an option if you want to avoid all prep... I can't speak to how it will hold up (especially any exposed end grain), but it's worth exploring.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 7:53am

I have never seen coosa .

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'm a huge fan of Coosa   It's easy to work with in terms of cutting (normal wood working blades cut through like butter), and it doesn't warp, crack or need CPES- but it's not without prep. It's a foam and glass impregnated composite, so it doesn't hold screws all that well. .

Gary,
I'm sure you have seen polyisocyanurate foam insulation board/sheathing walking through a home improvement big box. out on a construction site or may have even used it. The construction is the same with a foam core and facer membranes on both sides.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 9:18am
John, we covered the floor up with vinyl flooring. We had used AC exterior fir plywood for our last floor and wanted to use something better. This was the only marine ply I could find and it was nice stuff. Far stronger than fir plywood and 11 plys, very dense. It was a lot of work and wasn't cheap between its cost and the added epoxy, but makes for a nice floor. Check out Star Board. I'd consider it the next time.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 9:33am

I have never seen coosa .

Gary,
I'm sure you have seen polyisocyanurate foam insulation board/sheathing walking through a home improvement big box. out on a construction site or may have even used it. The construction is the same with a foam core and facer membranes on both sides.

Pete, it probably would have been easier to post something like this:

I have never seen Coosa either.

It is not built like you think it is.

Joe has brought small pieces to many reunions, I'm surprised most here haven't seen the stuff before. I may toss a piece of scrap in my tools bucket to bring for future show and tells.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 9:47am

It is not built like you think it is. .

Then tell me what you feel is different. BTW, I have seen Coosa!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 9:52am

It is not built like you think it is. .

Then tell me what you feel is different. BTW, I have seen Coosa!

No facer membranes, its just foam relatively high density with glass fibers in the foam to keep it from being brittle
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 10:06am
^^exactly^^

In looking at the cross section, I think there are some sheets of woven glass in the sheet layup as well, in addition to the glass fibers throughout. One downside I'll mention is how itchy any resulting dust can be. Cover up!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 10:33am
it all has glass strands, the last I checked the bluewater series also had woven roving layers. My experience in cutting it might not be as awesome as Tims, It does cut pretty good but the glass fibers eat jig saw teeth a bunch faster than I would consider ideal, I think I need to find some carbide type something or other as I have 6 fresh sheets in the shop and we are a month away from project season
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 10:47am
This is the blade you need to use for ALL your composite cutting requirements

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 10:48am

I may toss a piece of scrap in my tools bucket to bring for future show and tells.

I think that's a little insensitive Tim,I still have nightmares from that last incident   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 11:01am
....or if you can get your hands (mine is similar) on one of this bad boys it will cut thru 1/4 fiberglass without batting an eye and will trash a part in a heartbeat if you aren't careful. The 3M rep gave me one to try out and for the shop to use but since its the only we have I have it under lock and key and the guys have to come to me to get it and I'm VERY selective as to who uses it.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 11:06am
How big is that tim? I have seen some of the diamond tipped rotary tool cutoff wheels but man oh man 18 bucks for something the size of a quarter makes my brain hurt.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 11:14am
Joe, I believe this one is 4" in Diameter..... I'm trying to find the exact one I have in the 3M catalog. Chuck it up in a arbor for air 90 grinders or straight grinders. I took it home to cut the glass in the 72 and it cut through the floor like a hot knife thru butter with a 30 gal air compressor driving it. It's the bomb!.... Funny thing, I forgot to bring it back to work and one of the few guys I trust to use it needed it and asked me for it...... Ooops!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 2:28pm
OK, back to reality. Marine ply is fine. It would take at least two weeks to get the Coosa, one sheet won't do it, takes 1-1/2 sheets and they dont sell half sheets. I would still need to put a backer on it where the front seat frames screw down (although CC just screwed them into the foam when they built it). It's expensive delivered and still needs to be galassed in like ply, that's not making it fast and easy and the only reason I considered it was for the fast and easy factor. . Thanks for all the suggestions. Owl Hardwood Lumber 2 miles from my house has the marine ply in stock and sells half sheets.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 3:02pm
While the floor is up you can add nailers for the seats. I'm surprised you or anyone hasn't said anything about the Star Board. Seems like its easy to use and is rot proof.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2829303132 54>
  Share Topic