NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My "New" Project Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 2:47pm
Slayer, Fortunately, I don't itch. Really the only issue is the dust. If I don't wear a respirator, it really gets into the sinuses (and I suspect the lungs), and if it gets in the eyes, it's brutal.

Hollywood, there are two spots where the hull flexes pretty good. They are both spots where I had to grind away a lot of glass that had been gobbed around the origninal stringers. Knock wood I haven't cracked the gel yet.

PAllen, The toy trucks were mine as a kid which makes them pretty old these days. My brother who is 13 years younger than me left them out in the rain, and most are rusty. So, they aren't worth much. Nevertheless, when my parents died, I couldn't bring myself to throw them away, and so they get "displayed" on the top shelfs of the garage.

JJ, always time to finish a project.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 2:24pm
Brian,

Glad to see you are getting going on your boat. I hear you on the grinding, just got mine done Saturday. Hate it.

FYI: A tyvek suit would make you a lot less itchy.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 1:56pm
Nice pictures, with 7 supports and no stringers left in the boat does it flex at all?
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 3:53am
Good to see you are making progress . I like your toy truck collection.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 3:40am
Making some progress. This rubble is all that was left of the starboard stringer. Doesn't leave much for a template.

I fashioned a template out of fiberboard. Very easy to work with. However, I had a joint at a low spot, so I had to sister a piece of ply so the template would stay together until I get the stringers cut.

The never ending grinding. I can't see a damned thing without my glasses so I had to go to a face shield. Couldn't find any goggles which would fit over my glasses. The shield works pretty well.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 10:31pm
Hey BKH,

JJ from Santa Cruz here. Haven't been on the forum in a long time. I've been ignoring the boat project in my garage thanks to the house remodel that's taking place above it.

I'm stoked to see you've got yerself a project going! Love your attitude towards it. Hard to see it that way sometimes, but it's a healty aproach for sure. Have fun with it. When you're done, I'll haul my '86 over and you can start anew!

Take Care,
JJ

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

In the mean time it's nice to start thinking about making some progress again. BKH

I like how you put that Brian.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 11:30pm
Well, in the better late than never file. I've not had time to work on this project for just over two years. I find myself with a little free time over the next few weeks, so, today, I pulled her out of the side yard and back into the garage. I really hope to get the stringers and floor in this winter, but who knows. In the mean time it's nice to start thinking about making some progress again. BKH
Livin' the Dream

uiowawake5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uiowawake5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 5:34am
BKH,
I guess I understand a little more now why you don't want me to purchase a boat that might possibly have some rot! I dont know if i want to be working on the boat for two years before I even get to take it for a spin.

Thanks for all your help
University of Iowa Waterski & Wakeboard Team
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:46pm
Well atleast it's not out in your yard collecting rain water. Hope the plan of getting some work done on it comes through.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 2:24am
Now your good sense and education are surely showing!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 2:22am
I don't think she cares much John, but if there is anything I'm likely to be wrong about, it's trying to guess what my wife will think. Edited, in light of your better judgment. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 2:15am
You beat me to the answer Brian. Had to watch the end of the Tribe game.

Only one thing about your answer "bothers" me...think I would have just said it was Patti's B-day...not mention a number. Of course, Denese no way looks that age.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 1:51am
JBear and I were chatting on the phone. As you say James, life does get in the way.

I had the 82 on blocks in my garage. Foam out, stringers out on 1 side. I've shaped a template for the main stringer out some cheap doug fir, and I need to borrow a truck with a lumber rack to go pick up the lumber for the stringers.

Well, didn't really touch the boat for 4 months. Then, I had some problems with my Super Air and needed to work on it. Had to put the 82 back on the trailer so I had room to work. Just this last weekend, I started to tinker with the 82 a bit. With the weather here now mostly in the high 60s, through the 70s, its the best time of year to work on these type projects. The hope was to make some real progress in the next few weeks. But, you know how that is - halloween, daughter's first birthday, thanksgiving, Xmas, wife's XXth birthday. Who knows.

Thanks for thinking of me and the project. The great thing about it is that there is no hurry, and even if I'm not physically working on the boat, it gives me something to stare at and think about when I have some down time. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 1:35am
Jbear were you talking to BKH or someone else about it?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 1:33am
Just talkin' about this boat an hour ago and here it shows up...imagine that!

Thanks BKH!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 1:31am
BKH, was just thinking about this post today. Wondering how the the project is going, that is if it's still going. I know life gets in the way sometimes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 8:15pm
Chopper, I believe you really need the additional stringers. On the outside, left stringer (only 1" thick, mind you) I had a four inch section where the stringer rotted completely through. The weight of boat sitting on the trailer was bowing where the stringer had rotted. These stringers add a lot of rigidity. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 7:32pm
Looking at those pics, would it be worthwile moving the internal stringer system outward to run the exhaust pipework in the binge like in the later models.?

Would a single, more rigid stringer each side be possible to negate the requirement for dual stringers to be constructed either side.?

Might also make the process shorter by deleating 2 stringers with the exception of having to fabricate a whole new stringer without a template.

Just a thought as you have to replace the floor anyway.
copcraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 7:00pm
Yes I do. Just seems like you're spinning your wheels. As soon as you gain a little momentum, Wham! Something new gets in the way. That's life I guess
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 5:52pm
copcraft don't you hate it when other projects get in the way of your project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 1:13pm
Thanks. BKH
Livin' the Dream

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

Hey 82. When you put plywood down did you insert any ribs or just go with ply over the foam? BKH

No ribs added. Did not remove stringers. Just used 'Rot Dr.'(as suggested by other CCfans),gla$$ed around visible cracks in stringers, and ripped out visibly saturated foam and replaced. then laid down ply.

Floor is solid as a rock for 2yrs now. Holds about 1000lbs. of ballast bags with out issue. Probably not the way Skibum would have done it, but it should last for quite a while.

Life is Good.
copcraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 10:49pm
I'm Working on the pics. I need to sit down and figure the photobucket thing out. Little by little I guess. I just learned that we are hanging cabinets and putting a tile floor in the girlfriends kitchen after vacation, not working on the boat. Who knows how long this may take to get her in the water.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 10:25pm
I'd like to see some pics of your progress David. That Mustang's going to be great. BKH
Livin' the Dream

copcraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:15pm
Brian

It looks like you are getting a lot done! I did as you stated and took out one at a time so I could see and measure as needed the one that was still intact. It was a pain to rip it all out, then learn as they said, that was the easy part. I have one side about all epoxyed in and will start ripping out the other after vacation. I do enjoy having a project going to occupy the winter months. I'm positive your boat will come out beautiful.

David
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:23pm
81 Thanks for the bit of info. Like I said it looks like the baot I was talking about but more then likely it's not. But would be funny if it was.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:08pm
I plan to replace them one at a time, and use the rotted pieces as templates as close as possible. Then, just as skibum did, I will measure off the remaining, and corresponding stringer left in the boat to be sure everything lines up. I'll also take as many measurements as I can, and do a drawing before I remove each piece. In end, I think it is an inexact science.

Some of the folks with more experience remove them all at once. I think I'll play it this way because it seems a little safer given my experience/knowledge. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 7:35pm
Might be a stupid question, but how do you match the shape of the stringers if the old ones are rotten / don't come out in one piece.?

Or is it not overly critical.?

PS
Lookin good BKH
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by 82tique 82tique wrote:

Mayor BKH- I also used 3/4 in treated plywood when I replaced my flooring.... rock solid for the last two years.

I suggest a cutting wheel and a face mask when ripping out the foam.

Remember the demo is the easy part.

Hey 82. When you put plywood down did you insert any ribs or just go with ply over the foam? BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic