NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Mustang H/M engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:40pm
I tried not to be lazy and searched for a post about re gel coating a boat, bit I couldn't find what I was looking for. Is anyone familiar with a post like that?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:56pm
This is the one I was talking about the other night.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 9:12pm
Here's a couple of how my back seat is done John.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 1:48pm
I am reasonably sure someone can tell me what the original anchor light looked like on a 69 Mustang. Mine has a Perko type with the swing top retainer and a cheap mast with a plastic fixture. It was mounted on a small block of wood for some reason. I will need to track one down.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I am reasonably sure someone can tell me what the original anchor light looked like on a 69 Mustang. Mine has a Perko type with the swing top retainer and a cheap mast with a plastic fixture. It was mounted on a small block of wood for some reason. I will need to track one down.

John,
Take a look in the diaries and see if you can find some pictures of stern lights. I did and it looks like that era CC used two. However, I do know that they used a all metal Perko on the Cuda's that Perko still makes. Charlie (Brady) got one for his Cuda and the base was a perfect match.

All metal Perko

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 2:46pm
Thanks for the help
I checked and saw several in the diaries before I asked, but they were not all alike. My base lookes similar, but the mast is different from all of them. Maybe mine is the original base with a newer cheapie mast and light. I will check Perko out.
I read Wakeslayers post "water behind a stringers" again for bedtime reading last night. I'm getting pumped about this boat!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 4:56pm
Here is what was on mine,kind of mangled up but did not have the feature of being able to remove the light portion easily,possibly why it has the ski rope guard?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 5:02pm
Very nice, thank you Gary.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

However, I do know that they used a all metal Perko on the Cuda's that Perko still makes. Charlie (Brady) got one for his Cuda and the base was a perfect match.

All metal Perko

This is the one I got for mine. The base matched up great. I never had the light so I don't know what it originally looked like. I like the new one, it's nice. I only wish the light was LED.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 6:00pm
Thank you David. That looks like the photo of Gary's, and a good choice.
I know I probably paid too much for this Mustang, and I really didn't want a project, but everyone has been so helpful on this site that I am ready to undertake another restoration. Thanks for all the complements and encouragement. I hope that if I have a hairbrained idea about the project that I will have some critics as well. I feel like this will be the sister to Gary's. Very close in S/Ns and both blue. I have a few reservations about the H/M engine. It may not be out there in abundance, but the 260 interceptor is such a classic. The iron manifolds seem less troublesome too.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2011 at 5:21pm
I just got it home. The only major bummer is the windshield. The drivers side is good, but the passenger side glass is missing. Some. PO has made a plexiglass passenger side windshield. It looks pretty good, but definitely not acceptable to me. I will have to pull out my wallet and wait for one of those I suspect. Other than that no surprises. The floor pan was used by Webster for a definition of spider/ stress cracking, but its all there. I don't think it will be going back in. The H/M is a 4bbl Holly, although I suspect it is not the original as it has J tubes. The other one I looked at did not. There is no tag.
So far on my shopping list are four items,each constructed from unobtainium. The CC badges that were stolen from it (side Chrome CC nameplates), the passenger side glass windshield one fiberglass seat frame with brackets, and the throttle/shift for the console. I believe it is a CC trailer with a little mod to the front. I am not off to a great start, but most projects are like this. It is really pretty to me.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2011 at 11:43pm
I had a little time to look at the boat today. I took the manifolds off and gave them a good visual inspection. They look good, but I didn't remove the risers. I will give them a water test soon. The boat has almost all the parts, but is pretty rough. The engine is locked up and I am sure the velvet drive needs Eric. I want to have the boat gel coated. I had heard that Watercraft Sales in Three Lakes WI does it. I called and talked to Mark in and he confirmed it. Does anyone have experience with them? The trailer looks too big for the boat. I don't know if if is the right one. I may look at the boat a little more tomorrow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2011 at 11:58pm

I want to have the boat gel coated. I had heard that Watercraft Sales in Three Lakes WI does it. I called and talked to Mark in and he confirmed it.

John,
Look at my GD signature line!!!!!! And. if you did ANY on sire searching, you'd find I worked for Watercraft in the late 60's and early 70's. Absolute BS from Mark!!! It's all job'd out and the person that does their work is a very close personal friend. Pay attention and search CCfan!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 1:26am
I saw that. I thought you may be familiar with them. Hmmm, maybe you could make an intro to your guy? A friend of mine has a high end body shop. He can paint it, but I have always shied away from paint. His painter won't work with gel coat. If I don't make a plan soon I may have to dump this one or try to part it out and find a good one that's ready to go. The windshield glass and seat frame really scare me, Mrs Bee won't sit on a milk crate, and my daughter had an un- flattering comment about its appearance.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 1:28am
BTW, someone hit this trailer with the ugly stick.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 2:47am
My wife liked ours when I brought it home,she knew where she could find me - in the garage. No prize either,engine locked up,strut bent,no rudder,no prop,no glass at all.Any one can just go and buy one
I needed pretty much the same parts you do and thru all the great people on this site,some I've met,others we've only emailed,they have helped me pull it all together.
Show them these pictures maybe it will help-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 6:00am
The after photo is what she expected me to come home with. Maybe its a sign of age, but she thinks a few sheets of plywood and a motor is the most fun you can have on the water. She also clearly remembers my last restoration. A trip to KS for a boat, a trip to OH for an engine, followed by 250 hours in the garage in five weeks. It was epic.
Someone has modified the engine on this boat. According to the H/M tag it is a 2V, 210 HP 302 built in 69. The intake and carb have been changed to 4V. Here is some info I found on another site. It must be true, it was on the interweb.

http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthread.php/343-dechipering-holman-moody-serial-numbers

I initially wanted a Donzi Sweet 16, but wife & daughters did not like the styling. They think the red Mustang on our chain is cute, and so the quest began. After about 2000 miles of travel to look at them, I was in a bar in Manitowish Waters having a pizza and talking to the bartender about it and he told me he had one. Funny how things work out.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 5:24pm
I fell asleep reading gel coat threads. It's hard to find a search string that weeds out what I'm not looking for. I still don't know where to take it for a reputable shop/ individual. I'll read more tonight.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 5:56pm

Here's what mine looked like when I brought her home. She's come a long way.

My advice would be to not sweat it. Take your time restoring. You have another boat right? This is our only boat so it put a lot more pressure on me to get her done. Too much pressure. It got to where I was not enjoying it anymore. My wife would divorce me if I told her I was going to do another anytime soon. I don't even think she likes the boat anymore.

I still need original seats. One of these days I'll find some or Tim on here will get around to making some from his molds and hopefully sell them. Missing one of my side emblems as well. That pissed me off cus I think it just fell off and sank to the bottom of the lake.

I ended up having a plexi windshield made. Mine's one piece though.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 6:05pm
I want to make it a winter project, but before I sink money into it I want to get an idea of what I'm up against as far as the gel coat is concerned. I can do everything else myself, well, except make a windshield pane, seats, and badges.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 6:39pm
The pictures arent the greatest, but Im not sure what youre seeing that would make you think you need to respray the gel. I cant even see any appreciable chips. Gel needs to be VERY far gone to be beyond saving. Take a look at Gary and Bruce's Mustangs above... those are a result of wetsanding and polishing. Ive seen ones that started off even uglier come back to life. Yours looks pretty tame in comparison- a great starting point.

If you do decide not to proceed on the project due to the wife factor, Im sure someone here would love to pick up where you left off!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 9:33pm
Stay off those other sites John.There is way more knowledge on here    I'm surprised that yours is a 302,mine was a 289 and a 2 bbl too,but now is a 302 as well.What are your engine numbers ? When you get it down here,I'd come over and help Pete have a look at it too.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Stay off those other sites John.There is way more knowledge on here    I'm surprised that yours is a 302,mine was a 289 and a 2 bbl too,but now is a 302 as well.What are your engine numbers ? When you get it down here,I'd come over and help Pete have a look at it too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 10:21pm
I wish Pete could customize his little smiley face icons to have the white shirt attached
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I wish Pete could customize his little smiley face icons to have the white shirt attached

Real nice Peter!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 11:55pm
I posted my engine #s back somewhere like page 2 along with the numbers from the 69 H/M Mustang I passed on in West Bend WI.
As far as the gel coat It's gone. I have many hours of wet sanding, buffing, and waxing boats to know the difference. You just can't polish out cracks and chips. I wish I could. As I mentioned my friend could paint it at his body shop, but I am afraid of paint. He has done boats before with good results, and just finished the front deck of my friends newer Four Winns that somehow got jammed under a dock.
I just need to get the opinion of an experienced gel coater. I looked at the thread on that yellow CC that the owner did, he made it sound easy. It may be easy to shoot it, but like a paint job the labor is in the details.
Just curious, do these boats ever level out on plane, or do they always ride bow high?
BTW Mrs Bee is on board as long as I thin out a few unused toys. I really owe her. I have been with her since we were 18 and she is still my best friend.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 2:08am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

with the monogramed cuffs!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 5:35pm

Just curious, do these boats ever level out on plane, or do they always ride bow high?

They plane out but are always bow high.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 9:03pm
if its bow high but not porpoising thats a perfect world
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

They plane out but are always bow high.

John,
David is correct. It's just the nature of most of the 60'hulls and BTW as well as most of any boat manufacturer's hulls in the 60's and prior.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic