NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pour in Method - anti-freeze

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You aren't even using a refractometer to check the protection level!!!

Pete, where do you get a refractometer? I was toying with the idea this year about draining, filling up with -100 and then draining again and using the antifreeze on multiple boats. But I'd want to test the anti freeze after recovering it from each boat.

One of these would work and you can get them at a local autoparts store.
https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WESTWARD-Antifreeze-Hydrometer-1DXL6
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

You aren't even using a refractometer to check the protection level!!!

Pete, where do you get a refractometer? I was toying with the idea this year about draining, filling up with -100 and then draining again and using the antifreeze on multiple boats. But I'd want to test the anti freeze after recovering it from each boat.

One of these would work and you can get them at a local autoparts store.
https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WESTWARD-Antifreeze-Hydrometer-1DXL6

WRONG! A hydrometer will work on normal auto antifreeze but want to warn everyone that a refracometer must be used on RV antifreeze.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

heh heh. Here we go again.   

Mike,
Yes, it is that time of year up in the nort!!

Then, come spring we'll be reading a few threads about cracked blocks and manifolds!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 3:22pm
I accidentally left a Sprite in the freezer the other night. The can exploded hard enough that it actually opened the freezer door.

That's enough freeze related carnage for me for now. I was just happy it wasn't a grape soda
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 3:39pm
We've been doing the antifreeze suck from a bucket for 20 years now...1330 hrs later with Iowa winters and the boat seems to be fine. To each their own ya know? We also pull the whole waterpump out every winter and throw it in the basement so the impeller doesn't get all freezy and dry.

Also, haven't put the new one in yet, but factory impeller is still in the boat too, it doesn't even look that awful.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 3:40pm

Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

heh heh. Here we go again.   

Mike,
Yes, it is that time of year up in the nort!!

Then, come spring we'll be reading a few threads about cracked blocks and manifolds!!

To those that are half assing your winterization:   I see MINUS 30* F. annually. We have mid -40's once or twice every few years. If my boats have never had a problem in 16 or 17 years of this occurence, read and heed. It just isn't worth not taking the 5 minutes to drain, or spend the $10 in AF.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 4:43pm
WRONG! A hydrometer will work on normal auto antifreeze but want to warn everyone that a refracometer must be used on RV antifreeze.[/QUOTE]

Pete after I posted that I realized they were talking about the RV stuff.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 4:59pm
Is the RV stuff that same as the pink/reddish stuff that you often see in cars nowadays? Or is that another kind of antifreeze.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by 6strings 6strings wrote:

Actually Pete, I always observe the flow of the water out of the drain plugs. It always comes out hard enough to spray out onto the carpet. No different that year. Never had any blockage in any of the drain ports!I'm still convinced there will be pockets of water left in the block after draining! I would advise against this method in the colder regions.

I did the drain only method for my first 5 years of inboard ownership. I was told by a former inboard tech that if you "drain only, take the boat for a little ride on the trailer for about 10 minutes afterward and make sure to go over several hills along the way. This can be useful in getting some of those pockets of water out. Of course, I store in an attached garage in Texas. So not a true test. On my CC, I drain, replug, and pour in antifreeze like the books says. I figure it's good for whatever corrosion protection it may provide.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Is the RV stuff that same as the pink/reddish stuff that you often see in cars nowadays? Or is that another kind of antifreeze.

That is different. the orange stuff I have used is called Dex Cool, and used in my F350, and pretty sure my Jeep. It is an enhanced anti corrosion version of the green stuff. You should never mix with the green stuff as it reduces the good qualities of both. It's also really expensive. Someone has a red antifreeze but it is just dyed green stuff.

Pink is RV only, and not ever meant to be diluted. Sorta like the special -100* stuff. But way cheaper.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 6:43pm

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 6:52pm
I ask because I figure I'll do a coolant change on my 2006 Jeep with 56,000 miles. I'm thinking the owners manual saying something about it being a dealer item, but the term dexcool sounds familiar. I'm thinking it's probably an autoparts store item in reality.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 6:58pm
^^It is.^^
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

WRONG! A hydrometer will work on normal auto antifreeze but want to warn everyone that a refracometer must be used on RV antifreeze.

Pete after I posted that I realized they were talking about the RV stuff.[/QUOTE]
Paul,
Understood!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 7:11pm

WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 7:45pm

Originally posted by WhiteLakeSkier WhiteLakeSkier wrote:

Time has told, it hasn't failed. If it fails, it is not because of the process used to winterize, it is operator error. If it was such a liability, and half-assed way, none of the marinas doing it would be in business! It is in everyone's best interest to not destroy an engine.

I don't believe the method you use is used around here. The marinas pull plugs and hoses before pickling. There's always someone that takes short cuts unbeknown to anyone else.

And to my knowlege, none in my area ether.

Michael,
Just how many marina's have you been to?

The bottom line is the method has risks especially without checking the protection levels. Isn't not checking the protection level the "operator error" you speak of?

I have been to 4 other marinas, and they all do the same. No problems. It gets extremely cold in Old Forge too.

As for even more marinas??
These all do it:
http://www.genesinlandmarine.com/winterization.html

http://www.lakekeoweemarina.com/mwinter.cfm

http://www.lakeannamarina.net/marina.html

http://www.surfsidemarina.net/services.htm

http://www.badgersislandmarina.com/service.html

That's a quick search off Google. I bet they are all taking short cuts and leaving them self open to destroying all of their customer's motors. Aren't they silly!?

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 7:54pm
I'm not going to enter the debate, because what do I know, but looking at those marina services. What a racket!! Especially Lake Anna...$154 in parts/ $369 total. What parts?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 8:11pm
Seriously. It is $8-10 max in antifreeze. $35 tops for oil/filter.

I could knock out a dozen a day without breaking a sweat. $4428 gross. minus $540 materials cost. $3900 or 88% profit. Not bad for a day's work.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 9:01pm

That's a quick search off Google. I bet they are all taking short cuts and leaving them self open to destroying all of their customer's motors. Aren't they silly!?

Michael,
Thanks for the links. They certainly were informative especially since none stated what methods they use or if they drain first. So, the question was how many marinas have you been to? Assuming you have been to all these you linked and have observed their procedures, fill us in.

BTW, I know how to "google" too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 12:08am

Michael,
Thanks for the links. They certainly were informative especially since none stated what methods they use or if they drain first. So, the question was how many marinas have you been to? Assuming you have been to all these you linked and have observed their procedures, fill us in.

BTW, I know how to "google" too!

They listed antifreeze as the method of winterization. But I guess that unless we have team of peters to go to the marinas and inspect their methods, none of that information is official.

You don't care if they drain first. You think you need to either go by the manual, or just drain. If it cracks, then you didn't poke around the hole to get the rest of the water out. Everyone using antifreeze is just stupid and wasting their money for no reason right??

For knowing know to use a search engine, you sure don't have an idea of what has the ability to work when done correctly. Just like draining works in theory if done correctly, so does running antifreeze if done correctly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 1:19am

Michael,

If I were you, I'd google some cheater glasses.

1st link:
"Run anti-freeze through entire engine (96% marine)"

Second link:
"Fill engine with marine antifreeze"

Third link:
"Run in antifreeze tank"

Fourth link:
"Run anti-freeze through the system"

Fifth Link:
"run non-toxic anti-freeze (Propylene Glycol) through all raw cooling passages"

You have got to be kidding me..
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 12:00pm
But to Pete's point, none of them say whether they're draining first.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 12:41pm
This is just a silly annual debate. I enjoy it every time.

Michael, use some of that special -100* mixture and wash some of the sand out of the vajayjay. In this instance, you probably don't need to drain first.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 12:45pm

Regardless of who's right, I've just pissed my pants and am rolling in the floor laughing.

Doug
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 12:48pm

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

No use arguing with Pete or Boat Dr.

They are set in their ways and refuse any new ideas or technology.

So you subscribe to the no drain method? Not quite sure if BoatDr knows anything about winterizing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

No use arguing with Pete or Boat Dr.

They are set in their ways and refuse any new ideas or technology.

They have both been messing with these boats longer than you have been alive, so I would give some consideration to what they say.

I also do not consider filling the block with a garden sprayer to be cutting edge technology...
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 1:06pm

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

But to Pete's point, none of them say whether they're draining first.

Craig,
Thanks!! BTW, I don't need cheater glasses! Since this issue of draining first and getting that idea through to someone that seems to have ADD and the problem has gotten so big, I made sure I went through all the marina links in detail!

No matter how it's put in, draining is needed or if some fancy circulation system is used, close freeze protection needs to be monitored.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2010 at 8:25pm
Approximately how much anti freeze is needed to pour into the engine if done as per the engine manual in the reference section? Is one gallon enough t fill the engine?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic