NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79BFN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 1:24am
^^ I wish I had done that. It would have made a great picture. I had a ton of tools employed for the job. My folks live at my farm in the summertime, and have their own impressive collection of tools they leave in my shop, in addition to my own. Nearly all got used. I used the same color sharpie you have, even. My multi tool is similar to the one you have next to the chisels. But mine has a much needed bottle opener on it.

Your work looks great, keep at it !!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

the grinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 1:38am
Thanks Gregg for the floor info.

I thought I'd show you guys a little problem I ran into on some plywood that I cut for the floor center section. It had a 1" bow in it and I was worried about it being a little too bowed to lay flat on the bulkheads. I have a bunch of lead bricks that I use on the race truck and used them to help take out the bow while laminating. I had it perfectly flat with a straight edge for laminating, however, after the epoxy set up and I removed the weights, I still have a 1/2" bow. Still better than what I started with but I guess I should have wet the ply with the weight set up to take the bow out completly.
You can't tell from the pic but the plywood is sitting on a 2x4 at each end so it is suspended above the concrete floor.
It takes a big hole to bury an elephant.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 1:54am
One more while I have some time here. I took a pic of some respirators which you can't live without when doing all the grinding. Glad to be done with all of that! Use the one on the left, it's a 3M 7192 which I think is a large. They are available in 3 sizes, however, most people use the large. The one on the right is only good for stopping golfballs, grasshoppers, and grass clippings, and anything smaller will usually get by the fit against your face.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 10:07am
I upgraded to full face, you can get there in and grind away, they are pricey but well worth the money...but your right dont attempt working with glass with nothing on at all
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 1:43pm
No way even with the dust mask. I used a full suit, respirator, goggles, gloves taped on. Everything. In the early stages I cut a 1 foot section with the dremel and my arms itched for 3-4 days. That was enough.

kirk, I had a couple small bows in my plywood too. I used even more weight than that and never did fully get them out. I decided to live with it and put them in anyway. Screwing them down takes most if not all of it out anyway.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 10:56pm
I'm use to the itch as I do alot of demonstrations in heavy truck body shops repairing smc and glass hoods. However, the eye protection is a must as well. I was doing some quick work with the grinder and didn't grab the glasses, and boy was that a mistake. It took me two days of flushing my eye to get some trash out of it.

The lead bricks don't look like much, but they are 10pds. each so that's 80pds. sitting in the middle of that plywood. I made a bunch more of these things in preparation for this project knowing that I would need them for weighing down stringers and such. The bricks are handy and I've used them for a bunch of different projects.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 12:05am
Originally posted by the grinch the grinch wrote:

I made a bunch more of these

Good thing you're not 12 or under!   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 2:04am
Yea......what are the effects of lead poisoning anyway? I don't have any hair to loose, but I do have these twitches, and seem to be getting more honory with age. Hey, that's a good excuse.......side effects from lead poisoning. Should have told that to my x-wife, she blamed it on bourbon!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by the grinch the grinch wrote:

However, the eye protection is a must as well. I was doing some quick work with the grinder and didn't grab the glasses, and boy was that a mistake. It took me two days of flushing my eye to get some trash out of it.

I was grinding the tip off of a small screw on Saturday night to fix my tach lens. I wear glasses and had the shield in front of the wheel. Somehow, I caught a little piece of stainless in the eye. Teared about a pint before it came out. Was unable to flush it out either. Musta just worked out itself. Could still feel the scratch for three days. Always ALWAYS with the eye protection. You only get two.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 4:12am
Confirmed! I've had that little christmas tree grinder layed against my eyeball at the emergency room and I definitely don't want that again.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:20am
q-tips dipped in vaseline will almost 99% of the time get something out of the eye, drag it across each direction to snag it,
went for the drill or christmas tree many moons ago, too much pain afterwards for me.....q-tip wprks well
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 10:29pm
Luckily, the debris came out of my eye. What in the hell is the christmas tree? Do I even want to know?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 10:33pm
It's a bit in a grinder that they use for removing debris stuck in the eyeball. So....no,you don't want to know.

79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 10:56pm
I've had that done the Dr. said it had already begun to rust. no fun... wear eye protection so you can enjoy the scenery.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 3:31am
Hey, thanks to Pete, I have the three correct decals for rear sides. You can see the difference in the size of the "CC since" decals that came from Pete. Pete's are on the right. Check out the little paper boat with the "C" note in it. That was a b'day present from my super creative girlfriend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 8:39pm
I placed my 4th and last order with USComposites Tuesday before last. On last Thursday they called to tell me that the 1.5oz chopped mat had been discontinued by their supplier. On Tuesday of this week I received the order. This tells me that my order was not even looked at until 2 days after they received it! If I did business like that I wouldn't be in business very long! I can normally order anything in the Southeast and have it normal UPS in 2 days. For future reference, anyone who may start a project and need fabric and epoxy should shop it out. I'm not at all impressed with their service and I ordered the chopped strand mat I needed from FIBERGLASSITE.COM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 2:03am
Had a great wknd with some decent weather and was able to get some things done. I'm posting this one picture of the plywood floor that encompasses the ski pylon and battery box because someone had asked on another post. I bonded some strips to the bottom that will catch against the front side of the bulkheads should there be great leverage on the floor structure from the pylon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 2:14am
Now it's in and battery box glassed in.

The foam is about done with the exception of a few low spots left to fill. Future reference for others, is to be sure and leave enough room around the vent tubes at the transom to be able to trim foam and glass and seal around. Mine are a little tight but I'll have to make do. I probably wasted more foam than I should have, but it was difficult to calculate and get even pours. I would also recommend that saving your empty resin gallon jugs and cutting the top off makes excellent containers for mixing and pouring foam. The jugs have some type of coating on them that keeps the foam from sticking too bad and they are somewhat flexible for making a pouring spout as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 2:29am
Here are a few more of the foam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 2:35am
Almost forgot........ever notice how these older boats had no cup holders? I'm going to put plenty in before I'm done and here is where the first is going.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 2:38am
After looking at this picture, I notice that I need a new decal beside the shifter. Anyone have this decal?

JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 3:59am
Looking great. How did you do the holes thru the bulkhead. Just ran the PVC thru? Looks like you got something around it?

What's the hole in the side of the stringer?
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 9:08pm
Great idea on the cup holders, I'm going add that to my plans. Looks like you are moving right along thanks for the pics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 3:40pm
The PVC is just run through the bulkheads and sealed with 3M5200. After glassing is finished, I'll put another coat of 5200 around them. I'm not exactly sure what hole you're seeing in the stringer. There would be one in the ds primary stringer for the bolt which holds the steering cable pivot. The only other holes would be in the secondary stringers and they would be PVC vent tubes running under the floor back to the transom.

JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2009 at 2:17am
Thanks man. I was mistaken. It's not in the stringer, its above it. (different than my tique config) As seen in your last photo showing the bilge in the lower right corner. Great idea on the cup holders. Im going to try this and make a combo speaker box/cupholder out of it.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2009 at 2:26am
FYI, That sticker is for sale in the parts section, if you cant find it let me know and I will post a link when I am on a computer and not my phone..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 10:33am
Thanks Joe, I'll do some searching when I get time as well.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 2:13pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2009 at 10:48pm
Thanks Kevin, I need to verify that yellow decal is the correct one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2009 at 11:02pm
I took some pictures last night of the "log" after removing the prop shaft. The log seems to be wallowed out pretty bad. I don't know if it's visible in these pics but I need to know if I need to do something about this?

The shaft must have been replaced by PO. There is hardly a scratch on it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic