NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft Alignment Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 7:55am
Thanks guys. And I need to correct my math (it was late last night when I calculating). It isn’t a 1/4” off center, more like .1” or just over 3/32” at the log. Still way to far judging by where the shaft touches the coupler.

I will pull the strut and realign it and hopefully that will do the trick.

Once I have it strut dry fit where I want it, I mark the position somehow and re-bed it in the 3M 4200 or 5200? I think I stumbled across that part in some other thread.....
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 8:08am
Trey,
Once you know the washers work for the up down and there's enough bolt hole clearance for the side to side during the dry fit, go fot the bedding. I suggest using 3M 4200 for bedding. Remember to take the weight off the forward end of the shaft when checking for shaft rotation in the cutlass. Some will rest the forward end of the shaft in a V block of wood. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 9:05am
For what it is worth I successfully tweaked my strut back and it was very similar to yours. I've been meaning to put together a thread detailing that, but I just haven't. It is on the to do list. It is very easy with a big crescent wrench and a 20ft piece of pipe to do so.

Originally posted by TG3 TG3 wrote:

Thanks guys. And I need to correct my math (it was late last night when I calculating). It isn’t a 1/4” off center, more like .1” or just over 3/32” at the log. Still way to far judging by where the shaft touches the coupler.

I will pull the strut and realign it and hopefully that will do the trick.

Once I have it strut dry fit where I want it, I mark the position somehow and re-bed it in the 3M 4200 or 5200? I think I stumbled across that part in some other thread.....
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 9:31am
Originally posted by gcam4 gcam4 wrote:

For what it is worth I successfully tweaked my strut back and it was very similar to yours. I've been meaning to put together a thread detailing that, but I just haven't. It is on the to do list. It is very easy with a big crescent wrench and a 20ft piece of pipe to do so.
Grant, please elaborate!

Pete, I'll order up some 4200 and search the forum for application, I know I have seen that somewhere.
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 10:10am

For what it is worth I successfully tweaked my strut back and it was very similar to yours. It is very easy with a big crescent wrench and a 20ft piece of pipe.

Grant,
I too have seen the method but, I've also seen where the bedding bond was broken causing a leak at the strut. These were however on older hulls where 3m 4200 or 5200 wasn't used. 

Trey,
I highly recommend removing the strut. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 10:20am
Trey, I will try to get a picture tonight of how I did it.  If you haven't already done so, drop your rudder so you can gain access easier back there.

Before:

gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 10:23am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

For what it is worth I successfully tweaked my strut back and it was very similar to yours. It is very easy with a big crescent wrench and a 20ft piece of pipe.

Grant,
I too have seen the method but, I've also seen where the bedding bond was broken causing a leak at the strut. These were however on older hulls where 3m 4200 or 5200 wasn't used. 

Trey,
I highly recommend removing the strut. 

Pete, yep I was worried about that too.  I haven't had any issues though, which is a good thing.  I was willing to risk it though.

Trey, as Pete mentioned, the best method is to pull the strut.
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 12:07pm
Ok, I am planning to pull the strut tonight. 
Once the strut is off the boat, is it possible to measure or gauge it somehow to see if it is bent?

1997 Air/Sport Nautique
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 12:13pm

Ok, I am planning to pull the strut tonight. 
Once the strut is off the boat, is it possible to measure or gauge it somehow to see if it is bent?

I doubt anything is wrong with it. If you plan to pull it, do as Pete instructs and move it. You are likely off fractions of a degree.
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 12:19pm

I doubt anything is wrong with it. If you plan to pull it, do as Pete instructs and move it. You are likely off fractions of a degree.

Ok, thanks!

1997 Air/Sport Nautique
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 1:02pm
I can't get my head around the block of wood to support the shaft. Couldn't that interfere with getting the shaft centered while trying to align the strut by artificially positioning the shaft?

Sorry for being dense, would y'all mind walking me through how I set the block of wood and coordinate it with the alignment of the strut?
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 1:14pm
Trey, before you pull the strut, put the shaft back in.  When you pull it closer to the transmission, spin it by hand.  Then slightly pull up on it and spin it again.  Basically the only thing the block does is support the shaft and to make it be the most concentric thru the strut.  You basically move the wood around until the shaft is happy in the strut.  There is not science to it necessarily, it is just feel.  You'll want a piece of wood when you get the strut aligned again and likely while you are aligning it.  The shaft will naturally want to move due to gravity and it will look low in the log without it being supported.  Just try it before removing it so you can get a feel.
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 2:11pm
Thanks Grant, that makes sense to me now.
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 10:14pm
Ok, I got the strut off. It wasn’t easy, but not as hard as I have read in some other threads. The sealant was very rubbery, and didn’t look as old as what was around the rudder port, so I’m guessing that the strut has been messed with in the past. 

I trimmed as much of the sealant away with a razor blade, then tried tugging on it. I found some of Pete’s wisdom in another thread that suggested using a heat gun, so I did that. I pulled real hard and it popped off. Immediately following its release, my face stopped the strut from hitting the ground. Ouch. Now i have a huge knot on one of my cheekbones.

I carefully scrapped as much of the old sealant as possible off the hull. Is there anything I can use, like a scotchbrite wheel in a drill that will take that off without damaging the gel coat/fiberglass? 
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 5:59am
I wouldn't worry too much about the gel coat. You will be putting a new layer of bedding down and actually, you what the gel  to be roughed up anyway. The Scotchbrite wheel isn't a bad choice. What color was the bedding used you are removing? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 8:27am

I wouldn't worry too much about the gel coat. You will be putting a new layer of bedding down and actually, you what the gel  to be roughed up anyway. The Scotchbrite wheel isn't a bad choice. What color was the bedding used you are removing? 

Ok, that will make it easier to get the rest off. The bedding was very white. It had a smooth, rubbery texture.
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 5:18pm

You can put on a flat surface & sight it against a square for comparison.  Look at it from both front & rear ends.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

You can put on a flat surface & sight it against a square for comparison.  Look at it from both front & rear ends.

Chris,
Sorry but I disagree. Typically the only machined surfaces on the strut is the bore and the bottom of the base so a square isn't going to tell you much. I wouldn't even trust the four holes in the base. The only consistent is the angle between the bore and the base and the height of the bore to the base. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 8:10am
Its going to be a couple more days before I can get back on this project.

In the meantime, I was thinking, which is usually dangerous. Has anyone ever used a bore sighter for a rifle to align the shaft? 
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 8:18am

Its going to be a couple more days before I can get back on this project.

In the meantime, I was thinking, which is usually dangerous. Has anyone ever used a bore sighter for a rifle to align the shaft? 

I believe they use them now to get the log in a better location in the hull. That is the only thing I can think of that it would be useful for. You need alignment within 0.003" preferably less.
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 8:19am
I retract that last post. The laser sight wouldn't help get me centered in the log because you can't see the laser beam, only the dot on the the transmission coupler.

Unless.....I put a little piece of wood flat against the face of the log on the transmission side of the log, then I could see if the dot was centered.

Maybe? Or waste of time and I should just do as you described with the shaft and the block of wood and quite trying to be fancy? 
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2021 at 9:41am
I dry fit the strut yesterday. I got it lined up in the center of the log. It wasn’t necessary to shim it for the vertical alignment. I used the block of wood as suggested, slid it under the transmission end of the shaft until it gave support but the shaft still turned without binding.

If it quits raining I’m going to try to get it bedded/sealed after church today. I made some marks on the bottom of the hull with a sharpie so that I can put the strut back in the same spot.

Any tips on the bedding? I have a caulk gun size tube of 3M 4200 so I think I will have plenty of sealant.
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2021 at 10:21am
Trey,
I think you'll have enough 4200 to bed over 10 struts! Big smile

Don't completely trust your sharpy marks. As you are thightening up the stut mounting bolts frequently check the shft for center and free to move in the cutlass. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2021 at 12:58pm

Trey,
I think you'll have enough 4200 to bed over 10 struts! Big smile

Don't completely trust your sharpy marks. As you are thightening up the stut mounting bolts frequently check the shft for center and free to move in the cutlass. 

I knew I should have bought the 3oz tube instead! Oh well.

I will make sure I check alignment often as I tighten up the bolts.
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2021 at 8:07pm
Strut is aligned and bedded! What a pain, I hope I don’t have to do that again for a long time!
Thank y’all for all the help with this part of the job.

Should 24 hours be enough time for the bedding to dry before working on the driveshaft install and alignment?
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2021 at 8:22pm
Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

24 should be good to set the 4200 but I'd give it another 24 before getting the boat out on the water. 4200 is a moisture cure polyurethane so spraying water on it will speed up the cure. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2021 at 8:31pm
Ok. I probably won’t get to the lake until this weekend. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t mess anything up installing the drive shaft tomorrow evening.

Thanks Pete!
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2021 at 7:58pm
Shaft is in the boat, gland nut (no packing yet) and safety collar on the shaft.

I followed the guidance in Pete’s and Ron Tanis’ videos and checked the alignment.

I understand i am looking for a difference in the measurements of no more than .003”, side to side, top to bottom.

Measurements are as follows:
.005” at the top, .004” at the bottom, so a difference of .001”.
.006” starboard side, .004” port side, so a difference of .002”.

This indicates that my motor is within tolerance of alignment, since my differences are no more than .003”.

Did I get all this right?
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2021 at 8:11pm

I understand i am looking for a difference in the measurements of no more than .003”, side to side, top to bottom.

Measurements are as follows:
.005” at the top, .004” at the bottom, so a difference of .001”.
.006” starboard side, .004” port side, so a difference of .002”.

This indicates that my motor is within tolerance of alignment, since my differences are no more than .003”.

Did I get all this right?

Trey,
You got it! Clap  Thumbs Up

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2021 at 8:16pm
Done by the videos and those numbers says to me that you're good.

I think Pete's kinda cute in his video Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic