NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a new truck

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 12:25pm
In my area, the price of used trucks is so high, I can't understand why anyone would buy a 1-3 year old truck. I traded a 2010 Chevy last year with 38k on it and they had it on the lot for a couple thousand higher price than I paid new and it sold fast. The 2012 Silverado I bought is my favorite truck yet, except for the gas mileage. It doesn't get nearly what the sticker says and as far as I can tell the 4 cyl mode it goes into every time I take my foot of the gas does nothing for the gas mileage. I had a 2005 Silverado that got a lot better gas mileage.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 1:07pm
Reid, Am I considered an old guy if I know it??

Look what they've done to my car!!
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 1:26pm
Hello, (again) Riley. I have a 2012 Sierra 4wd which is essentially the same truck. 5.3 engine with the Allison 6-speed; don't know what rear end comes with that. Do you have the 5.3 4wd? I just finished up burning a total of 1000 gallons (according to the meter in the truck) and had 15,1XX miles on the odo. That's an o/a average of 15.1 MPG, including the fuel I use idling to run the AC it the FL brutal heat.

I don't tow boats as much as I used to, but probably a fourth of the mileage is towing something. (at times heavier than a boat) I know that FL is flat, but it very often goes into 4 cyl mode, even towing a Ski Nautique. Mostly when descending overpasses or running in a tailwind. I'm o-l-d, so rarely run over 70 mph.    

It's no fireball towing, but I'm very pleased with it. I have a friend in Atlanta who had an 011 with a 6.2 and got horrible mileage. Now he has a '14 with the 5.3/Allison and is elated with the mileage.

Art
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 1:30pm
Post Options
Quote ArtCozier
Edit Post
Delete Post   Thanks(0)    Quote Reply Posted: Today at 12:26pm

Got an error message when I tried to post, so thought I'd try again. Sorry if it comes up twice.
Hello, (again) Riley. I have a 2012 Sierra 4wd which is essentially the same truck. 5.3 engine with the Allison 6-speed; don't know what rear end comes with that. Do you have the 5.3 4wd? I just finished up burning a total of 1000 gallons (according to the meter in the truck) and had 15,1XX miles on the odo. That's an o/a average of 15.1 MPG, including the fuel I use idling to run the AC it the FL brutal heat.

I don't tow boats as much as I used to, but probably a fourth of the mileage is towing something. (at times heavier than a boat) I know that FL is flat, but it very often goes into 4 cyl mode, even towing a Ski Nautique. Mostly when descending overpasses or running in a tailwind. I'm o-l-d, so rarely run over 70 mph.    

It's no fireball towing, but I'm very pleased with it. I have a friend in Atlanta who had an 011 with a 6.2 and got horrible mileage. Now he has a '14 with the 5.3/Allison and is elated with the mileage.

Art
"Art"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 1:42pm
Art, Mine is a 5.3, 6 spd auto 4WD extended cab. Most of my driving is on the turnpike or side roads, but not city. The highest the overall mileage has hit is 16.4. I take the mileage each time I get gas and it is around 17. I've never hit 18. I like the truck a lot, but I was hoping it would get at least 18 when I bought it. It drives and handles well and I think it's built well. I had an 05 with a 5.3 that averaged 18, then a 2010 crew cab with a 4.8 that never got better than 16. I always liked Fords the best until they changed their line up in 1997. I've bought Chevies since then.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 1:48pm
I couldn't complain with our xcab 4x 2000 sierra.
speced it with 4.8l and 3.73 gears.
its was a 19-20mpg truck, and had plenty of honk.

Maybe they changed the engine management over those years.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Reid, Am I considered an old guy if I know it??

Look what they've done to my car!!

No, you're considered a young guy who's been goofing off too much by digging up old commercials on YouTube. Now get back to work!

I'm not even familiar with the "Look what they've done to my car!!" line you mentioned.

But this one is the classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsg97bxuJnc
ReidP
1973 Mustang

kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 2:00pm
"fine Corinthian leather"
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I had a 2005 Silverado that got a lot better gas mileage.
They didn't have all the ethanol in the fuel like we do now. My '03 used to get 18-21 on the highway with the 4.8 v-8 with just a cat-back exhaust and open air intake.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 2:24pm
I think it was a new model year commercial when they re designed the car he was excited and said Look what they've done to my car! haha.

My grandma used to roll Cordobas and bigger Chryslers. The rotating assembly in my car came out of one of her cars back when.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 2:40pm
[QUOTE=Riley] Art, Mine is a 5.3, 6 spd auto 4WD extended cab. Most QUOTE]

Just to see what it would do, nursed 20.1 average out of mine coming back from West Palm Beach on the FL Turnpike; tried to keep speed below 63, not towing anything, tailgate closed, 500 pounds of boxes and tools. Also cross-checked it against mileage (170) and consumption when I filled up. I have the extended cab with "standard" bed length; 6'6".

Remember that the mileage numbers on the Mulrony Sticker are tested with pure gasoline, usually under cool conditions, controlled conditions, educated driver, etc. etc. The manufacturers test their own product; only spot-checked by the Gov. See October Consumer Report if you are interested.
Art
"Art"
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

.. .. so Reid what car did you haul home in the trailer? something good?

Why a classic 1979 Chrysler Cordoba of course, "with fine Corinthian leather". (most likely only the older guys remember that commercial)
Actually, and I honestly wasn't baiting someone to ask, but back in December I did finally get Laurie's approval to break down and spring for my long desired middle age crisis-mobile, a 5800 mile, 2011 Shelby GT 500 rag top. I wish it was a 1968 but I'll have to make it another 55 yrs for that. Anyway it's in perfect condition and until I got caught in a very brief shower it hadn't even been run in the rain yet and hasn't been since. It's a blast to drive and I'm loving it.

Zach, you really need that truck! And I'll definitely need a ride in it.       

Reid: coincidentally was in a shop yesterday that has a mint 68 GT500 with dash signed by Caroll Shelby. yours for only $115K; Send him a check and I'd be glad to drive it to NC for ya..

This could only be topped if the dash of your Cordoba is signed by Ricardo Montalban.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

.. .. so Reid what car did you haul home in the trailer? something good?

Why a classic 1979 Chrysler Cordoba of course, "with fine Corinthian leather". (most likely only the older guys remember that commercial)
Actually, and I honestly wasn't baiting someone to ask, but back in December I did finally get Laurie's approval to break down and spring for my long desired middle age crisis-mobile, a 5800 mile, 2011 Shelby GT 500 rag top. I wish it was a 1968 but I'll have to make it another 55 yrs for that. Anyway it's in perfect condition and until I got caught in a very brief shower it hadn't even been run in the rain yet and hasn't been since. It's a blast to drive and I'm loving it.

Zach, you really need that truck! And I'll definitely need a ride in it.       

Pictures of the Shelby GT500?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 3:59pm
It's a little too sexy for pictures, I tried to take some once but Reid wouldnt stop doing burnouts so all I got was smoke.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 4:56pm
Reid, Probably has a nice blower whine when you drive over 65 mph huh ;).
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 5:01pm
He had to make room for it somewhere so something had to go and the Crush was it! He did blow the dust off, and gave me a ride in it to the airport. It's sweeeeeeeeet! I felt as if I was riding in the back seat of Joe's 83 when he throttles it up. Somehow I don't think he'll readily toss you the keys to it like he does with some of the other things he has that go really fast.

Pic's???? just think of a 4-wheeled version of 'Moody Blue' and you got one.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 5:34pm
Apparently Laurie wouldnt let him do burnouts on the lawn so he was in fact able to take a picture this one time..

I believe the pic was titled " It's hard out here for a pimp"
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 5:59pm
Picture that sexy thang towing the Shrimptique. I think the colors are pretty close to a match.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 6:08pm
I can see his hair blowing in the wind. Oh he does not have any hair expect for his back.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 6:11pm
Edit: Back hair blowing in the wind...

I do like that Petty Blue ;).
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 8:57pm
that is a future classic if there will be any
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 9:13pm
Definitely a nice toy! Also, is that about a '71 SN blue hull that I see through the boathouse? Or is it a 16' Skier?
Art
"Art"
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Definitely a nice toy! Also, is that about a '71 SN blue hull that I see through the boathouse? Or is it a 16' Skier?
Art

Art,

It is a Skier. You can see better pictures of it at the CT Mini Reunion that Tim B. held earlier this month. There are several pictures of it on that thread. Reid picked up that boat about 1.5 years ago from a Boat House on Lake Hickory, NC. It is beautiful and runs strong.

Donald
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2013 at 9:28pm
OK, just test drove a '13 F-150 w/ the 5.0L V8, a '13 F-150 w/ the V6 Ecoboost, a '13 Ram 1500 w/Hemi, and a '13 Silverado w/5.3L V8. I liked the F150 w/Ecoboost the best and here's why: I felt the F150 had the best interior. Fit and finish was better than either the Ram or Chevy. The Chevy interior hasn't changed since '07 that I noticed. It just felt dated. The Ram's interior, especially the cloth seats just felt "chintsy". Definitely sub-par compared to the XLT trimmed F150. The Ecoboost had gobs of power, I was really surprised. From a stoplight that truck really impressed me. I can imagine how nice it would be pulling a boat. I also like that the F150 has a better 4x4 stance, it sits up higher and "looks" like a 4x4. Plus I appreciate the fact that Ford didn't take or need a gubment bailout. AND they are giving huge rebates and dealer incentives right now on the Ecoboost equipped trucks. The sales mgr at the dealership told me that Ford isn't even building any 2014 Ecoboost trucks until they deplete the existing inventory levels. Not sure if that is true or not but I do know that the 2 dealers in the Gainesville, FL area have a bunch of inventory on the Ecoboost trucks. So my next step is going to Fighting Chance and starting the bid process.   
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2013 at 10:19pm
maybe they are all there because people bought g.m ?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2013 at 10:49pm
GM pissed me off for the 2nd time today. Pretty safe to say they've lost a customer for life. They think their trucks fart gold.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2013 at 11:53pm
Well, I definitely know what you mean, the GM pricing is pretty outrageous, new or used!

I just bought a 2010 Tahoe about 6 weeks ago. 5.3 4WD with 6 speed, LTZ trim. I love it, as smooth and well put together a vehicle as I've ever driven. I'm getting about 17.5 mpg average, will get 19 plus highway only. The 5.3 tows much better than I expected, and the tow/haul mode is awesome, really good shift pattern and the downshifting when braking helps quite a bit.

I know you just said you won't look at GM, figured I'd put my 2 cents in anyway.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2013 at 11:02am
Bret, the cloth seats in my 10 seem much less "cheap" than the 2013 trucks. I would much rather my interior.

How'd the trucks all compare price wise?
MuskokaCanada View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuskokaCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2013 at 11:34am
I just bought the '13 F150 with Ecoboost and LOVE it.

MuskokaCanada View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuskokaCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2013 at 11:38am
^^^ Interestingly, this isn't exactly the same as mine. I'd guess this pic I grabbed off the net doesn't have ecoboost bc the licence plate is front centre which it isn't on the EB.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic